YACT: I went off a curb, now the check engine light is on...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
You didn't "break" your cat. There's nothing to break in there FFS, it's just a pipe with a couple of catalysts to convert harmful gases into slightly less harmful ones.

I can't see your o2 sensor in that picture, but if it's not dangling down then it's ok. The check engine light could be a number of things, easiest way to diagnose will be to take it to a mechanic that has a computer to plug into it. You've probably knocked a plug loose somewhere.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Jahee
Yea i'm pretty sure thats ur catalytic converter... You probably broke it..

I vote for same. Looks like ya put a good dent there. If it affected the perf of the cat, the computer will detect and throw the code. Take it to Autozone and get a free reading to be sure that's the code.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: TXHokie
Originally posted by: Jahee
Yea i'm pretty sure thats ur catalytic converter... You probably broke it..

I vote for same. Looks like ya put a good dent there. If it affected the perf of the cat, the computer will detect and throw the code. Take it to Autozone and get a free reading to be sure that's the code.

It's not the fricken cat. A catalytic converter is just a wide pipe with a bunch of honeycomb-shaped catalytic material. That dent is tiny, it may only be the heat shield that is bent. Even if the pipe got bent, it would have crushed a very small amount of the honeycomb, not enough to effect the performance. I'm a qualified mechanic, I know wht I'm talking about. That cat is not damaged.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
It's not the fricken cat. A catalytic converter is just a wide pipe with a bunch of honeycomb-shaped catalytic material. That dent is tiny, it may only be the heat shield that is bent. Even if the pipe got bent, it would have crushed a very small amount of the honeycomb, not enough to effect the performance. I'm a qualified mechanic, I know wht I'm talking about. That cat is not damaged.

While you may be a qualified Mechanic...It sure does look like a Cat. This is why people probably think it's a cat if it isn't.

HIS - http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/TheJBW/from_right.jpg

Cat from Sportruck.com - http://www.sportruck.com/howto/installcgs/17.jpg

Notice the three lines in the center and how the welded pieces on the dies look the same?

Or this - http://www-personal.engin.umd.umich...w of catalytic converter on car underbody.jpg

They look very similar to the cat. But then again, I'm no mechanic.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes, the object in the picture is the catalytic converter. the problem MAY be related to the damage, BUT, most likely, is actually caused by something other than the minor damage shown. As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, it could be that the O2 sensor was damaged, (possibly from being slammed into the underside of the car, between Cat and body) or it COULD be caused by damage to the exhaust system upstream from the Cat, throwing the exhaust mix off, causing a fault in the sensor stream.
Unfortunately, we can't see enough to truely diagnose the actual cause, nor can we plug in a code reader to see what has actually caused the CE light to come on...

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: So
Just got back, realized I never mentioned - it's a 2k1 Ford Ranger

And yeah, Looking under the car w/ a light right before the sun went down, and it looks like there's some minor scrapeage to what I am reasonably sure it the exhaust system, directly under the cab -- including a small ball like thing.

There's your problem!

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
The catalytic converter has a honeycomb substrate made from a fairly fragile ceramic material. If you broke it (fractured across the structure), the pressure drop would increase. This would probably cause a warning to come on.

If it was blocked more completely, the engine power would decrease. At some point, you would be able to notice it.

You may have to replace it.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
probably did something to your oil pan which may have damaged your filter.

You don't know anything about engines, do you?

;)

you are aware that some cars in internal filters in the pan, and damaging the pan could cause all sorts of problems.

Yes I am (more like a screen) and No it likely wouldn't. It would cause pretty much ONE sort of problem: leaking oil.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Well, since you haven't mentioned any strange sounds (like possible exhaust leaks) and your cat looks okay, other than the scrape of course, I'm guessing O2 sensor since those are screwed into the exhaust system.

Anyway, I would just take it in and have someone run the codes as soon as possible.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: So
Just got back, realized I never mentioned - it's a 2k1 Ford Ranger

And yeah, Looking under the car w/ a light right before the sun went down, and it looks like there's some minor scrapeage to what I am reasonably sure it the exhaust system, directly under the cab -- including a small ball like thing.

There's your problem!

:laugh:

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Quickets way to find out whats wrong is to go to autozone or whatever place is closest, rent a scan tool, scan it and find out. That way you arent dicking around with other things and you can get right to the problem.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
O2 sensors are usually located on the exhaust mainfold(s), doubt it's damaged but check
it's connector and all other connectors (map,maf, ect) and make sure they are tight..

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Your pics show not the[/i] catalytic convertor, but a pre-catalytic convertor. The actual catalytic convertor is further downstream, somewhere closer to the middle of the car. The damage you did is to the heat shield which is not a concern and not directly the cause of your Check Engine light.

Your best advice here is to get the code(s) scanned out of the onboard computer. This should point you in right direction. I say should because people think that for instance, when the code references the Coolant Temperature Sensor that the problem is the sensor itself. It could be the sensor, the connector, the wiring or the computer itself, to mention a few.

Also, multiple codes can cost you more money in the long run to attempt to fix yourself than taking it in to the pros. A problem in one area will create what looks like problems in another area. It needs a good troubleshooting procedure to find the root cause of the problem. I cringe when people say they had four bad sensors in their car. Yeah, it took four tries to find the true bad one.

Some cars have up to four O2 sensors. One in each manifold, one before the catalytic convertor and one after the catalytic convertor. That's the most I've seen, there may be cars with more.

Find the real catalytic convertor and see if there is an O2 sensor damaged either in front or behind it. If so, replace it. If not, take it somewhere.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: iamaelephant

While you may be a qualified Mechanic...It sure does look like a Cat. This is why people probably think it's a cat if it isn't.

HIS - http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/TheJBW/from_right.jpg

Cat from Sportruck.com - http://www.sportruck.com/howto/installcgs/17.jpg

Notice the three lines in the center and how the welded pieces on the dies look the same?

Or this - http://www-personal.engin.umd.umich...w of catalytic converter on car underbody.jpg

They look very similar to the cat. But then again, I'm no mechanic.

nononono

It IS a cat, but the cat isn't what is causing it to throw a CEL. Thats what he's saying.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Your cats are fine. Thats just the heat shield that is scraped. Its no big deal.