YACT: How to get out of car loan?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
Originally posted by: Rudee
Originally posted by: waggy
I won't be in the hole by having a 10k wedding... we are saving cash for it. And believe me, I would honestly have a $69.95 drive through wedding if I could, but my ol' lady wouldn't settle for that. Besides, I'll only do it once! I had the SC2 first... then she bought one. And then, I talked her into getting a Civic... so I'm not the whipped one =)

oh my. you are not to bright are you?

didnt you think about what you were doing before you signed? why in the blue hell are you thinking of spending $10k on a wedding when you are so far in debt? do you understand what happens if they repo the cars?

you both are NOT ready for marriage. you need to do some growing up and understand how the real world works. while $10/hour is good in some places it is NOT enough to have so much debt and then throwing a 10k wedding on it. bah

Agreed. Strangely enough, these two deserve each other. #1 cause of divorce is related to finances, and I can predict this couples future. Not good....

Read my other post. I make $10/hr because I am still in college... I'm 20. I'll be graduating in two years and I also do real estate on the side. Don't you think we already know that finances are the major cause of divorce? We don't have to keep up with the Jones'.... we are very mature, responsible, and our relationship has a foundation built on love and Christianity. What experience do you have with predicting future marriages? I am a credit card collector... I have people tell me all day long they are getting divorces b/c their spouse is not paying their bills on time. Once we get out of credit card debt, we aren't using credit cards anymore except for mileage use... (using credit card like checking account... pay all bills, make all purchases, etc with card to get miles, then pay it off with one check at end of month).

I am starting to learn that some Anandtechers really get off on the "holier than thou" theory here, but fortunately I've owned everyone so far in this thread... so please refrain from trying that tactic again. I made a mistake and I sought advice. I received good advice along with a larger reception of BS.

You're a college student making $10/hr, part time real estate person AND credit card collector, busy busy busy.

If you ever manage to payoff both cars (legally) I would recommend buying a cheap econobox, like a Hyundai Elantra GLS or GT.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Thanks Rossman... your decent post is a breath of fresh air in this thread.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Being able to make the payments does NOT constitute being able to afford the vehicle. Being able to finance it does NOT constitute being able to afford it. They WANT you to finance it, and they would LOVE for you to default on it.

I can't afford the cars you have, & I make almost 50% more than you. Why can't I afford them?

Because I refuse to allot 1/3 of my monthly takehome to a car! Between the car payment & insurance that vehicle would cost me $600 a month.

Absolutely insane.

If you really want to get out of debt, drop the "I can afford it" attitude. You're screwing your financial future for a Honda Civic.

You haven't "owned" anybody in this thread, you've just proven what we already suspected:

You highly overrate your own maturity.

Viper GTS

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

Even though he's saying he thinks you're a liar? Thats how I take it anyway, even though I came to the conclusion that you're a credit card collector making $10 an hour with realestate on the side. Thats 2, not what could be percieved as 3 jobs.

Oh well, you made a mistake but you're still going to get called stupid by everyone here. Even though almost all probably make the mistake given the chance. You've pretty much got no recourse unless you can grab a personal loan from a parent/relative and such.

That, and the only scam you could pull is to get into an accident where you're not at fault and pull some injury/medical crap with some dirty doctors.

So, buckle down and deal with it until you pay for the mistake you made, or maybe take a quarter off of school, work full-time with some over-time to make up the difference and then go back to school after you've got your financials straightened out. That's my advice.

EDIT: After Viper GTS's post. I agree with most of his points as well.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Being able to make the payments does NOT constitute being able to afford the vehicle. Being able to finance it does NOT constitute being able to afford it. They WANT you to finance it, and they would LOVE for you to default on it.

I can't afford the cars you have, & I make almost 50% more than you. Why can't I afford them?

Because I refuse to allot 1/3 of my monthly takehome to a car! Between the car payment & insurance that vehicle would cost me $600 a month.

Absolutely insane.

If you really want to get out of debt, drop the "I can afford it" attitude. You're screwing your financial future for a Honda Civic.

Viper GTS

How am I screwing my financial future with a Honda Civic? I am getting rid of the car when it breaks even with the loan and getting something much less expensive. Currently, I have not defaulted on any loan, ever... and my credit was started immediately at age 18 and I have followed all guidelines setforth by Equifax to maintain excellent credit. I am confident that my credit future is grand. Moreover, I do not have an "I can afford it" attitude, you simply manipulated one of my replies to amplify your point. Once again... I can afford the payment... meaning that my status of finance right now is stable enough to support a payment without defaulting. As mentioned in a previous post (did you read it?) and I do have an attitude to keep up with the Jones'. Further investigation into this thread will also reveal that I had good intentions with buying the Civics (low interest rate than previous loan, reliability, gas mileage, etc) ... but I can now see that I have made a mistake.

Your post comes after I request that further "holier than thou" posters refrain, because once again-- you've been owned.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Even though he's saying he thinks you're a liar? Thats how I take it anyway, even though I came to the conclusion that you're a credit card collector making $10 an hour with realestate on the side. Thats 2, not what could be percieved as 3 jobs.

Oh well, you made a mistake but you're still going to get called stupid by everyone here. Even though almost all probably make the mistake given the chance. You've pretty much got no recourse unless you can grab a personal loan from a parent/relative and such.

That, and the only scam you could pull is to get into an accident where you're not at fault and pull some injury/medical crap with some dirty doctors.

So, buckle down and deal with it until you pay for the mistake you made, or maybe take a quarter off of school, work full-time with some over-time to make up the difference and then go back to school after you've got your financials straightened out. That's my advice.

I'd like RossMan to explain whether he believes I am extremely busy or if I am liar... rather than you interpreting his post for him. But, I do appreciate you agreeing with me that "almost all probably make the mistake given the chance" and "get called stupid." I replied to Viper GTS.

EDIT: And at that, I need to go pick up my future wife from work in my Honda Civic. Be back in 30 to continue the thread.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Absolutely insane.

Viper GTS

How am I screwing my financial future with a Honda Civic? I am getting rid of the car when it breaks even with the loan and getting something much less expensive. Currently, I have not defaulted on any loan, ever... and my credit was started immediately at age 18 and I have followed all guidelines setforth by Equifax to maintain excellent credit. I am confident that my credit future is grand. Moreover, I do not have an "I can afford it" attitude, you simply manipulated one of my replies to amplify your point. Once again... I can afford the payment... meaning that my status of finance right now is stable enough to support a payment without defaulting. As mentioned in a previous post (did you read it?) and I do have an attitude to keep up with the Jones'. Further investigation into this thread will also reveal that I had good intentions with buying the Civics (low interest rate than previous loan, reliability, gas mileage, etc) ... but I can now see that I have made a mistake.

Your post comes after I request that further "holier than thou" posters refrain, because once again-- you've been owned.

I've been owned?

Your finances are the only thing you've owned in this thread.

Oh, that and the image we all hold of you.

You've proven yourself to be an arrogant, immature, fiscally irresponsible child.

Viper GTS

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I'd like RossMan to explain whether he believes I am extremely busy or if I am liar... rather than you interpreting his post for him. But, I do appreciate you agreeing with me that "almost all probably make the mistake given the chance" and "get called stupid." I replied to Viper GTS.

I was saying how I interpreted it. I didn't say that was what he meant.

I came in for an unclouded judgement. I've been on both sides because I've made mistakes but also lectured people on making them.

After reading your reply to Viper GTS though, I would think that you're just lowering everyones opinion of you with each of your posts. You came to Anandtech asking a question and expected nothing but concise informative posts? This is off-topic, you should have known better.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

EDIT: And at that, I need to go pick up my future wife from work in my Honda Civic. Be back in 30 to continue the thread.

Honestly? Neither, and I could really care less if you're lying or not.

There is no easy way out of this, and you put yourself into this perdicament.