YACT: How to check coolant levels when ...

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
The coolant tank, once translucent, is now opaque. I could take off the cap and guess, but I don't want to add too much coolant and screw it up. There another way to figure out where the level is at?

This would be the first time I would be adding coolant to engine, after 65k miles. Is it the same for Dex-Cool, 50/50 water/coolant?

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
i dont think its possible to have too much coolant. are you talking about your reserve tank?

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
so long as there IS fluid in the overflow tank you're fine. Having a level on there is basically just so you can tell if you're burning/leaking coolant somehow. If your car requires Dex-Cool, make sure you USE Dex-Cool, usually a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: toph99
so long as there IS fluid in the overflow tank you're fine. Having a level on there is basically just so you can tell if you're burning/leaking coolant somehow. If your car requires Dex-Cool, make sure you USE Dex-Cool, usually a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

I didn't think you were supposed to dillute the dex-cool?

Farmall

Jul 16, 2000
You should be able to see a molded line on the side of the tank - there is a cool level and a hot level. If you happen to overfill it, it will be released to the proper level.