YACT: how come some cars have multiple names?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
Rallispec, hmmm I have always thought Skyline was not available in the US.

The older ones aren't. The new Skyline is the same as the G35.

its not on par with the R34 though, is it? I mean, that was a borderline supersports car, I don't remember the G35 having anywhere near that performance.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus

its not on par with the R34 though, is it? I mean, that was a borderline supersports car, I don't remember the G35 having anywhere near that performance.

The R34 Skyline was a semi-sporty commuter car like a Maxima or a G35 . The GTR version was the serious performer.

The G35/Skyline you see now is the same way. The base model is fairly typical, and the upcoming GTR model will be the serious performer.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Ford Mustang = Mercury Cougar 1967 -73
Ford Thunderbird = Mercury Cougar 1974-97
Ford Contour = Mercury Mystique 1996-04 & Cougar 1999-04

Camaro = Firebird
Nova = Apollo, Omega, & Skylark

Superbird = Daytona
Charger = Challenger

You are not a Mopar enthusiast,with much knowledge.

:|

Do more research.;) The Charger/Challenger are Not even close.
The 1969/1970 winged warriors are not interchangable.;)

Sometimes there are more than Just,nametag differences.

Wheelbases might be different.

Dodge Dart,Plymouth Valiant,were both Mopar "A body" cars.
They did not share the same doors,taillights,wheelbase,fenders,hoods,
etc..............

They did share common chassis parts,engines,brakes etc.

Volume helps cut costs.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: thechinesehero
some people are dumb.. some of these references are completely off..

the thing that loks the same is the eagle talon and the mitsu eclipse.. but ur dumb to say a camry and a es300

also the g35 is the skyline in japan yes... but they get named differently in other places.. like the honda accord is called acura legend or some sh!t like that in japan but since its the same companies its fine

I could be wrong, but I don't think Japan sells Acura's......or at least they didn't used to? I remember all the Acura's being called Honda's. I.E. the Honda NSX, whereas here it is the Acura NSX. Again, I may be wrong. Didn't do any research before posting. Same with nissan....do they sell Infinity overthere?

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Originally posted by: rh71

the thing that loks the same is the eagle talon and the mitsu eclipse.. but ur dumb to say a camry and a es300

also the g35 is the skyline in japan yes... but they get named differently in other places.. like the honda accord is called acura legend or some sh!t like that in japan but since its the same companies its fine
umm, we have an Eagle Talon in the family and the rear quarter is different than the Eclipse's. Different spoilers, different lights. If you were to follow from behind, you could easily tell they are different cars... it's not that subtle.

It's not the skin that makes it the same, but the chassis. Often, the skin is what's different. Compare the Grand Prix with the Buick Regal. No body parts will swap, but damned near everything else will.
That's understandable, but I thought the OP was talking about only re-badging the same exact car... (which were poorly chosen, of course).

Well, actually, the Eclipse and Talon were the same cars, albeit with some minor body differences. They were both made by Diamond Star Motors.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
It's all about trim and options on the American car front.
Here's the scale:

Lincoln > Mercury > Ford

Cadillac>Buick>Oldsmobile(nolonger produced)>Pontiac>GMC > Chevy

If so, why is Corvette the lowest line of GM, the "Chevrolet" ?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
If so, why is Corvette the lowest line of GM, the "Chevrolet" ?
Several reasons. Firstly, the nature of the Corvette doesn't fit with the "luxury" brands of Cadillac, Buick, and Oldsmobile. Secondly, Chevy is the bread and butter brand and giving it the high-performance standard-bearer helps the image of the cars in the eyes of the people who can afford them. Sure, the Aveo driver doesn't have much in common with the Corvette driver, but at least the guy in the Aveo knows they're both driving Chevrolets. Finally, the initial Corvette was built to be a lightweight roadster to compete with cars like the MG and the Austin-Healy. By the time the Corvette became the car it is today, it was already established as a Chevrolet.

ZV

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004

the legend is actually an acura rl. it used to be called legend in the u.s. as well, but acura decided to switced to the all scrambled letter names.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: desk

the legend is actually an acura rl. it used to be called legend in the u.s. as well, but acura decided to switced to the all scrambled letter names.
Acura does not exist outside of the US.

ZV

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: desk

Acura does not exist outside of the US.

ZV
i know, i was just saying the the legend is equivalent to the acura rl.