YACT: Hot Deal! Supercar kit for $20,000-$26,000

5ayle

Sep 28, 2003
GTM 200 Mulsanne

Kit Car Mag

The SuperCar for the Masses
The much-awaited Factory Five Racing (FFR) "Supercar," the mid-engine GTM 200 Mulsanne, made its debut at the SEMA show in Las Vegas (along with its new Mark III Cobra and a revamped coupe, and the trio "wowed" them at the event, with the GTM taking center stage.

Built on a newly designed, all-original dedicated chassis, and using C5 suspension, running gear and engine, and Porsche G50 transaxle from a 911, the GTM-200 is the second all-original design from FFR, following its GT Spyder.

The newly engineered chassis is a departure for FFR and its mid-engine design fare is different from its Cobra frames.

Calling it the "Supercar for the Masses," FFR's goal is to provide a vehicle that performs like a McLaren F-1 or Saleen S-7 at kit car prices. Engineering advances include a unique chassis design, with a mid-engine layout and 98-inch wheelbase. The kit includes the tubular steel frame, aluminum chassis panels, composite body, windows, doors, trim, interior, coilovers, fasteners, and miscellaneous parts needed to complete the car.

The body is a new laminate "Pre-Preg" (pre-impregnated cloth matrix) epoxy/glass composite. An optional Carbon-Kevlar body is to be released as the car goes to manufacture.

A 98-inch wheelbase and McLarenesque look make the GTM-200 one of the hot cars for 2004.

Now, if you've drooled over this beauty, just wait; it will get even better. FFR has taken the car back for fine-tuning, a few engineering tweaks, improvements, and some surprises and will re-unveil the GTM-200 later this year, at which time we will provide you with a full feature article on the finished version. But we felt this baby was just too cool and too new not to tease you with.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Well, there's also 1Gracing.com and their exported kit for the Noble GTO M12... but that doesn't include the powertrain for $45k.

It's tough to say if they can meet their goal with the numbers that they want. It's almost like a Callaway kit car...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Is there an engine in it?
Calling it the "Supercar for the Masses," FFR's goal is to provide a vehicle that performs like a McLaren F-1 or Saleen S-7 at kit car prices.
Fantastical drivel.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Let me get this right, you'll get a roll cage (tubular chasis if you want to be fancy), with a fiber glass body for $23,000? No thanks.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Let me get this right, you'll get a roll cage (tubular chasis if you want to be fancy), with a fiber glass body for $23,000? No thanks.

and all the interior, etc.....

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
For that kind of money I would expect a better looking rear wing, not some ricer style wing you would find on a Honda. :(

5ayle

Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Quixfire
For that kind of money I would expect a better looking rear wing, not some ricer style wing you would find on a Honda. :(

lol

I'm not sure how the where the engine comes in. In thier other kit cars you use a Mustang 5.0 as a donor car and gut it for the parts.
They were talking about providing audi transaxles, now porsche tranasxles can't remember the engine though. Maybe a 5.0 stang for this one too.
Their other kits are pretty well known too.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo Let me get this right, you'll get a roll cage (tubular chasis if you want to be fancy), with a fiber glass body for $23,000? No thanks.
and all the interior, etc.....
What interior?

5ayle

Sep 28, 2003
BTW, this is a kit car and it's mainly used for performance. So don't expect trivial things like a glove compartment, or radio system. LOL

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: 5ayle

lol

I'm not sure how the where the engine comes in. In thier other kit cars you use a Mustang 5.0 as a donor car and gut it for the parts.
They were talking about providing audi transaxles, now porsche tranasxles can't remember the engine though. Maybe a 5.0 stang for this one too.
Thanks, looking at the information on the website they are going to use a C5 Corvette running gear.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001

function over form?

5ayle

Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by: 5ayle

lol

Thanks, looking at the information on the website they are going to use a C5 Corvette running gear.

Hmm... if that's the case I'd rather just keep the C5. They want 1997 and up parts. I guess if you found one that was really banged up but the parts are still good it wouldn't be that bad.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Factory Five is a pretty decent company from what I've heard. They have a nice Lotus 7 copy and a pretty damn good Cobra copy.

ZV