YACT: fuel line rust prevention?

Sensai

Nov 30, 2002
The fuel line around the fuel filter is rusted... is there anything i can do like use a clear non-flammable spray or something to keep it from rusting much further? I want to put off replacing the entire line as long as possible.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
How old is the car and where do you live.

Here in the South I have only seen rusted lines from cars that came from a salt area.

What you can do is scrap the big stuff off and use soem rust convertor. It will turn the light rust to a black primer. Then spray the line with some paint.

Sensai

Nov 30, 2002
car is a 2000 model in north NJ....

"What you can do is scrape the big stuff off and use soem rust convertor. It will turn the light rust to a black primer. Then spray the line with some paint."

what brand rust convertor u recommend and is painting it advisable?

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
The rust convertor + paint isn't a bad idea, but I'd keep on repeating applications of some sort of rust preventer product. We have Krown rustproofing places up here that will sell cans of their rustproofing oil, and it works really well.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
your not goiing to win.

you can try throwing some POR-15 at it but your not going to get into all the little nooks and crannies without removing the lines. its better to just sit around and gripe about it and accuse the car companies of not using SS lines just to piss you off.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
your not goiing to win.

you can try throwing some POR-15 at it but your not going to get into all the little nooks and crannies without removing the lines. its better to just sit around and gripe about it and accuse the car companies of not using SS lines just to piss you off.

Considering my company makes many of the lines used on many cars (not sure of this one), those tubes are used because they are cheaper (even with coatings). SS is much harder to work with but does indeed withstand corrosion much better. The coating processes have come a long way but nothing beats SS. SS usually requires hydraulics to bend and process it vs pneumatics for normal carbon steel tubes.

P.S. Make sure you lick the coatings too as several are made with cyanide (yes)! ;)

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
replace the fuel filter, use some Grease on the fittings,
{be careful to not smear the grease inside the line, just on the fitting, and
where the fitting spins around the line}

Some heavy spray grease will slow it down.

WD-40 is too wimpy.

Some chain & cable lube is more like what you need.

Albany NY area, even More, rusty crap here.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Engineer
your not goiing to win.

Considering my company makes many of the lines used on many cars (not sure of this one), those tubes are used because they are cheaper (even with coatings). SS is much harder to work with but does indeed withstand corrosion much better. The coating processes have come a long way but nothing beats SS. SS usually requires hydraulics to bend and process it vs pneumatics for normal carbon steel tubes.

P.S. Make sure you lick the coatings too as several are made with cyanide (yes)! ;)

so your the one resposible for 3 different brake lines rusting out and blowing in my 15 year old explorer! *shakes fist*

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
your not goiing to win.

Of course we all know it is for the quality.

:D

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
your not goiing to win.

so your the one resposible for 3 different brake lines rusting out and blowing in my 15 year old exploder! *shakes fist*

Nah, I only program machines that work with finished tubing. I have nothing to do with welding/brazing of the tubing itself or the coatings! :D

Oh, and those must have been made by our competitors! :D