YACT: check the pressure on your spare tire

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Check it regularly and you may appreciate it when you have to use it. I've got a compact spare tire which has a smaller volume than usual and higher pressure than usual meaning it will deflate much faster than regular tire.

It's supposed to be inflated to 60 psi. When I checked it last night, it was down to 30psi.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Buy a small 12v portable air compressor. Wont need to check, but can always use on demand.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
my full size spare has been hanging on the back since I drove the car off the lot 10 years ago.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Great tip. I got a flat, my compact spare was flat. I spent the next 20 or so minutes pumping up the compact spare using a bike pump.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea, i've checked family members spares..horrific. personally i'm ok, got a portable cig lighter powered pump. cost like 10 bux. all cars should have one.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
yea, i've checked family members spares..horrific. personally i'm ok, got a portable cig lighter powered pump. cost like 10 bux. all cars should have one.

Those little things can top off a slightly uninflated tires, but that's about it. If you try to inflate a completely flat tire, there isn't enough flow to offset the air leaking between the tire and the rim.

When I had a pin hole leak that drained my regular tire completely over night, I had to switch over to spare, drive to gas station, then inflate the regular tire using their pump.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD

Those little things can top off a slightly uninflated tires, but that's about it. If you try to inflate a completely flat tire, there isn't enough flow to offset the air leaking between the tire and the rim.

When I had a pin hole leak that drained my regular tire completely over night, I had to switch over to spare, drive to gas station, then inflate the regular tire using their pump.

Well if you're really stuck in that situation you can:

1) jack up the car
2) wet down sides of tire (both inner and outer) around rim

Try again...

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD

well, no tires that flat. i've used that cheap pump to refill a car tire after i deflated it enough to pour some of that tire sealant in after removeing the valve stem thing...