YACT: Car idles very rough + sputters

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Hey guys, I've got a '96 Ford Taurus GL V6. Since this Friday, I noticed that my car has been starting to idle very rough. The problem worsened just the other day when it began sputtering while I was idling or at a stop nearly every time. The RPM will drop from 800 to 400-500 and sputter, then kick back up, then kick back down...and will keep doing this until I am moving. Doesn't seem to do it when the car is cold, it has to warm up first.

Any idea what the problem might be? I appreciate any help given!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
How many miles? When was last service done? Spark plugs, PCV valve, fuel filter, oil change?

All depends when the last service was done on it. Sounds plug/fuel filter related

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Sounds like you need a set of spark plugs, how many miles since a tune up?

The key part you said was that it doesn't happen until the engine is warm, this is typical behavior of fouled spark plugs

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
You know, now that you mention it, I've passed my regular time schedule on replacing my spark plugs.

Car currently has about 125K miles on it, last fuel filter at 100K and last oil change about 1 month/1K miles ago.

BTW just to set the record straight, I am a nub at cars :)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
My Explorer did this, and it turned out to be the Idle Air Control Valve.

clogged/dirty/sticking IAC gets my vote

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Alright, I should definitely replace my spark plugs anyway so I shall do that this weekend.
Now when you say they are fouled...is that caused by something else possibly wrong with the car? Or is it just because I've gone past my scheduled time to replace them?

If the problem persists after I replace them, I will look into getting my IAC diagnosed.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052

Yep... its a common problem with Fords. Usually if they are dirty, or sticking, you might as well replace it instead of attempting to clean it. It will just act up again in a short while.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004

Yep... its a common problem with Fords. Usually if they are dirty, or sticking, you might as well replace it instead of attempting to clean it. It will just act up again in a short while.

93 Ford Aerostar , where would the IAC valve be? What does it look like

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: blipblop
try to clean the MAF sensor and see if it has a lot of gunk or something.

I'd say check the MAF, especially if it's also guzzling more fuel.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Go to Autozone, they'll hook it up to their little diagnostic gizmo (technical term) and tell you what's wrong for free.

BTW-they'll also sell you the stuff to fix it (not free).

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Squisher
Go to Autozone, they'll hook it up to their little diagnostic gizmo (technical term) and tell you what's wrong for free.

He didn't say his vehicle was throwing a code.

OP, I'd go pick up the Haynes manual @ your local parts store (or on half.com for much cheaper) and learn how to replace the IAC and other regular maintenance stuff yourself. DO a regular tuneup and you'll be right as rain. :)

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Sometimes you can clean an IAC valve. They get varnish and carbon in them and that causes them to stick. Once you locate it, try pulling it out and cleaning off as much of the crap in the pintle as you can with carb or fuel injector cleaner, then reinstalling it. That might take care of the problem, and all you spent was $1.69 for carb cleaner.

I was also thinking EGR valve, but that would normally be the opposite - the car would idle poorly when cold, but be OK once it was warmed up.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ManyBeers

93 Ford Aerostar , where would the IAC valve be? What does it look like

Manybeers, here you go:
Air Bypass Solenoid Valve(also called Idle Air Control Valve) - Ford Aerostar 1986-1997 Repair Guide

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Originally posted by: Squisher

He didn't say his vehicle was throwing a code.

OP, I'd go pick up the Haynes manual @ your local parts store (or on half.com for much cheaper) and learn how to replace the IAC and other regular maintenance stuff yourself. DO a regular tuneup and you'll be right as rain. :)

The guys at work said that even if you don't throw a code that those dianostic devices can detect the cause of a poor running engine. I don't know, everytime I've ever gone there I was throwing a code.