YACT: '85 300ZX Need ideas.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: fredtam
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox
I want it to look "toy" like.

Go with hot pink for everything, and steal accessories from the Barbie Powerwheels Jeep.

Glad your in touch with your feminine side and society is now accepting enough to let you openly reminisce about your days riding around in your Barbie jeep.

You're the one that wants to paint it as the Ronald McDonald Mobile.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bernse
Without the Turbo, its a dog. Auto makes it even worse.

Looks to be in decent shape though. I'd just maintain it and use it as a daily driver.

bernse = former 1985 300ZX GLL Turbo owner

As I said I have done and will continue to do engine mods to the car. As it stands now it will absolutely smoke a turbo even with the auto. I asked here for interior/exterior ideas because of the number of ricers who specialize in "all show no go". I didn't post any engine specs because I have found very few people here on here with the same automotive knowledge as me. If I need help putting a "Type R" sticker on you may be the man to ask but I'll take care of the powerplant myself.
I've got $5 paypal fund to you or anybody here that can even tell me what I have in it.
engine

I actually found that quite insulting for some reason.

As for what you have in it, who cares? Your pic isn't exactly impressive. The 350 in my Dad's PU is not only better looking, I'd be willing to bet it's more powerful, too. Although, as I'm sure you know, it's virtually impossible to tell "what you have in there" just by looking at the outside of the engine.

If you're so sure you're better than everybody here, why did you even bother to post?

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox
I want it to look "toy" like.

Go with hot pink for everything, and steal accessories from the Barbie Powerwheels Jeep.

Maybe Cam'ron would buy it off you if you did this.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
You little assclown. I've rebuilt VG30ET from siezed blocks before, and you're talking down to me? You took the easyway out putting in a cheap dime/dozen carburated engine in there.
As I said its not finished yet. The engine is in for a fit test and will soon be pulled, cleaned, polished, painted, and to add some stuff I fabricated. I could rebuild a VG30 in my sleep. This is by no means the easy way out. Try it and see.

Looks to be in decent shape though. I'd just maintain it and use it as a daily driver.

Translation from ricer to English: My car had a turbo and manual so by default it must be better and your car must be slow because it lacks these things..
I did not once ask for a critque of the car or its drivetrain but simply ideas for the interior/exterior.

As for what you have in it, who cares? Your pic isn't exactly impressive. The 350 in my Dad's PU is not only better looking, I'd be willing to bet it's more powerful, too. Although, as I'm sure you know, it's virtually impossible to tell "what you have in there" just by looking at the outside of the engine.

Sorry to insult you. As iI said there will be further modifications. The post came in response to the "oh no an automatic non-turbo. Thats no good. Keep it as it is and carry old people around in it" crowd who think its impossible to mod anything without a turbo or manual.

If you're so sure you're better than everybody here, why did you even bother to post?
I just know where to go to get questions answered. If I had asked how to put a Chevy 400 into a 300zx how many answers do you think I would have gotten. I don't ask for medical advice either. Does that offend you?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You little assclown. I've rebuilt VG30ET from siezed blocks before, and you're talking down to me? You took the easyway out putting in a cheap dime/dozen carburated engine in there.
As I said its not finished yet. The engine is in for a fit test and will soon be pulled, cleaned, polished, painted, and to add some stuff I fabricated. I could rebuild a VG30 in my sleep. This is by no means the easy way out. Try it and see.

Translation from ricer to English: My car had a turbo and manual so by default it must be better and your car must be slow because it lacks these things..
I did not once ask for a critque of the car or its drivetrain but simply ideas for the interior/exterior.

Sorry to insult you. As iI said there will be further modifications. The post came in response to the "oh no an automatic non-turbo. Thats no good. Keep it as it is and carry old people around in it" crowd who think its impossible to mod anything without a turbo or manual.

I just know where to go to get questions answered. If I had asked how to put a Chevy 400 into a 300zx how many answers do you think I would have gotten. I don't ask for medical advice either. Does that offend you?
Ah. I see. Yeah. :)

And no, that doesen't offend me, and you're right.

It's all good. Nice car tho. :) As I think you know, I'm saving up to find that perfect 240Z..

I'm going to put a built L28 in it though. Not interested in the whole V8 thing, even though it would be powerful & fun... just not my thing. I would rather make a monster L28 with an 8,000RPM redline.. heh.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
The more I look at the interior and body styling options the more I think about just selling it and getting an 80-83 280zx. It will give me more options to change and have fun with. I want to totally customize it.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
What a jackass. If you would have just said it had a 400 in it to begin with nobody would have ragged on you for trying to soup up a slow ass nonturbo 300zx. We all aren't car stupid.

Wanted too add its actually pretty cool but I would still prefer a manual :). I'd still pretty much leave it alone body wise since it looks pretty nice. Some nicer rims would help alot though.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

Rebuild a VG30 in your sleep? Well, good for you. Try to salvage one with pistons siezed to the walls and cams buggered scored to all hell.

If your so talented why have you thrown a small block in there in the first place? You'd know how to get good HP out of a VG30 without ripping it out
rolleye.gif

I've put a 302 chev in a 280 and 300 is the same. It's easy.. and I built my own mounts from scratch. I'd be willing to bet $$ you havent. I've got 20+ years of Z experience but I ain't gonna share you jack $hit because you're a little dangling turd. I came into this thread as a Z bro trying to give you friendly advice but screw u. I've been working on Zs since the mid 80s. I've probably forgotten more about them than you'll know. I've rebuilt, restored and worked on them all, from 69 to 93 TTs. If you're so fVcking smart don't bother asking for help :confused:

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: bernse
Originally posted by: Eli

Rebuild a VG30 in your sleep? Well, good for you. Try to salvage one with pistons siezed to the walls and cams buggered scored to all hell.

If your so talented why have you thrown a small block in there in the first place? You'd know how to get good HP out of a VG30 without ripping it out
rolleye.gif

I've put a 302 chev in a 280 and 300 is the same. It's easy.. and I built my own mounts from scratch. I'd be willing to bet $$ you havent. I've got 20+ years of Z experience but I ain't gonna share you jack $hit because you're a little dangling turd. I came into this thread as a Z bro trying to give you friendly advice but screw u. I've been working on Zs since the mid 80s. I've probably forgotten more about them than you'll know. I've rebuilt, restored and worked on them all, from 69 to 93 TTs. If you're so fVcking smart don't bother asking for help :confused:

First off I didn't come for help from Z gurus. Second I machine all my own conversion parts. I wanted ideas for the interior/exterior colors and maybe a couple design ideas. I put a smallblock in because I can. I also have almost 20 years experience and I know Zs backwards and forwards. I restored 4 cars before I could even drive. My first was an Opel GT that I started when I was 12 and the other 3 were 70' Zs. I grew up around the restoration business and had access to all the tools I needed and a father with 30+ years of experience to teach me. Don't assume everyone here is just out of high school and doesn't know anything. I would be willing to bet you fit that description though. You say you came to share your wisdom but your response was " Without the Turbo, its a dog. Auto makes it even worse". Why didn't you say "well you can do this or that". Funny it is only now you have all this wisdom and experience. If you had it before you would have told the nay sayers what potential it has. I didn't ask for help because I don't have a problem. I simply asked for ideas. If I have a problem I will refer to the stack of Z manuals sitting behind me and not you.

Face it your an asshat. You jumped at the chance to put a car down you know nothing about. The only thing you should share is how you get 350+ hp out of a V30 and keep it reliable and cost effective. I'll help you out here. You can't. Remember no matter what the commercials say just because you stayed at a Motel 6 last night you aren't an expert.