YACT: $10k - which car?

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Either to buy a used car, or to use as a deposit on a purchase on a new car - WHAT car would you choose? $10k CAN ($7.5K USD).

In consideration :

- 2005 Lancer Evolution (or when it comes out in Canada)
- 2004 BMW 325i w/sport package
- 2002 Camaro Z28 SS
- 2004 Infinity FX45 .. I wish, out of my price range :(

any ideas? right now I have a third gen cam and an 03 lancer, I am selling the iroc and I will do a trade-in with the lancer when I get whatever car I'm deciding on right now (whether I lose or gain money.. heheh)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Get the Lancer Evo. The Evo PWNS every other car on that list in virtually every category of performance. I assume, since you listed only sports cars that you are, in fact, looking to get the most performance out of your money?
AWD + 270+ HP (depending on version, 271 USDM, 276 JDM, 300 MR version) = more fun than you can handle :)

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
2004.5 Volvo S40i
Price? Features? How is Volvo's financing/interest usually? Mitsubishi has been 0% - 2.9% here which is one bonus IMO. BMW also had very good/flexible leasing/financing options and interest rates.

I am looking for good performance and I like the EVO for that, but I loved the BMW 325i I test drove and even though some reviews disagree, I think it's an unbeatable value for the technology, features, quality etc you get with that car. Handles like a dream too with the 17". Maybe it doesn't out accelerate a porsche but it's still a back wheel blast to drive.. :)

I can just imagine the evo.. I have a lancer es, my friend has a ralliart, and the EVO should be an even bigger jump up.. :D Mitsu seems to always have an edge on the competition although I'm not sure of their long term reliability. So far neither of us have had problems although they are 2003-2004 models.

Thanks for the input so far, will check up on thread later tonight.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: NutBucket
STi:D
Looked at the STi (directly comparing to EVO). Has more power but the power is at higher RPM so I doubt it'd actually be any faster. Handling should be similar to EVO. The main difference I think is you get the option to control the front diff.. so front/rear diffs are limited slip. As opposed to the EVO's front-open-type diff and the rear limited slip. Forgive me if I'm off on anything.. :p

Subaru is homogenius.. at least the dealers I visited thus far. Then again, my mitsubishi dealer is anal too. Subaru's interest rate was very high last time I visited (a few weeks ago).

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I would also consider a decked out Jeep TJ Sport. VERY good value if you like them. I think it was $22-26k CAN. Their well known Inline 6, 30-inch tires and all the extra diff and suspension stuff added.. although they haven't changed the Jeeps much since the 80s :p I don't think I'd want it as my only car, so I'll leave it out for now.

any other ideas?

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
How large a monthly payment can you really afford?
Right now I am paying $468/month for my Lancer & Insurance and it's a piece of cake to pay. My goal is to keep my monthly payment within the same levels, even though I will be making more money. If my total monthly goes up by $150 or so that's still acceptable. Keep in mind the large down payment.. :p I will probably not end up with the evo next year though, since in order to have a low monthly it'd have to be a lease, and I don't want to throw away $10k on a lease... the purcahse would be very high, so that'd be bad.

I'm leaning more and more to the Camaro idea... heheh

Yes the EVO is coming to Canada... I'm not sure when though. My Mitsubishi dealer said it would be next year and it'd be low-mid $40k CAN.