YAC(Camera)T-Looking to upgrade to a Canon 30D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Anyway, I'm having trouble finding the best price on one. I find these online retailers advertising ultra low prices but of course they never have just the body in stock. They only have a kit available for sale which includes a bunch of crap I don't need or want. :roll:

I've checked B&H Photo but the price is kind of high at $1,189. Dell is even higher.

Anyone know of any other places I could buy from that might have better prices?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Anyway, I'm having trouble finding the best price on one. I find these online retailers advertising ultra low prices but of course they never have just the body in stock. They only have a kit available for sale which includes a bunch of crap I don't need or want. :roll:

I've checked B&H Photo but the price is kind of high at $1,189. Dell is even higher.

You're not going to find it any cheaper than that. Personally, I'd wait anyway. With the release of the Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D, Canon will have to respond with something better than a 20D with minor improvements. With that release you'll either like the successor, or the 30D price will drop more.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Why not still consider the 20D.. they go for around $700-$800 for the body.

20D versus 30D

Same sensor, same megapixel, but with some new features you could decide if you really needed.

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
I was in the same boat (300 looking to improve) and the new xti is actually a pretty nice set up considering the prices...

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

I didn't know cost accountants could afford such things :laugh:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: jpeyton
IWANNA

completly useless thread/waste of bandwith

Rrriiiight :roll: I would much rather have each one of those posts as a seperate thread in the Hot Deals Forum.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

I didn't know cost accountants could afford such things :laugh:

We can. :p

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I would agree with tfinch and/or rudder. Get the 20D. The 30D was considered by many to just be a very minor improvement over the 20D, improvements so minor that they couldn't justify the large price difference.

How much do you have invested in Canon glass?

If it's not too much you may just want to wait and see how the Pentax K10D does.

mchammer

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
At that amount of money plus the lenses you will inevitably want to buy, is a small difference in price a big deal? I would want to buy from a reputable store. I wonder how they pack those up when they ship them out?

Hey why not go all out and get a 1DS-MarkII? :p

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: mchammer
At that amount of money plus the lenses you will inevitably want to buy, is a small difference in price a big deal? I would want to buy from a reputable store. I wonder how they pack those up when they ship them out?

I once read a thread on FredMiranda where this poster took pictures of some guy who walking into a B&H brick and mortar in New York city, proceeded to buy a 1DsMKII like it was groceries, and then ride home on his Wal-mart bike with the checkout bag dangling from his handlebars :p

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I would agree with tfinch and/or rudder. Get the 20D. The 30D was considered by many to just be a very minor improvement over the 20D, improvements so minor that they couldn't justify the large price difference.

How much do you have invested in Canon glass?

If it's not too much you may just want to wait and see how the Pentax K10D does.

Enough that I'm not interested in switching brands. I own a Canon 17-40mm f/4, 70-200mm f/4 and their 50mm f/1.4. That's about $1500 in glass. Nope, I'll stick with Canon. I am currently using a 300D and I also have a Canon 420EX flash. There are some things I don't like about the 300D and this is primarily why I'm thinking of upgrading. Besides, I could let my wife use the 300D for her real estate business and I'd have the 30D all to myself. Right now we share this camera.

I was looking at B&H Photo and the price difference between the 20D and the 30D is $200. Honestly, spot metering would be something I'd like to try out. There have been times where it might have been handy even recently.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Originally posted by: mchammer

I once read a thread on FredMiranda where this poster took pictures of some guy who walking into a B&H brick and mortar in New York city, proceeded to buy a 1DsMKII like it was groceries, and then ride home on his Wal-mart bike with the checkout bag dangling from his handlebars :p

phew. Somehow I feel more justified now if I took a 20d home in my cheap Ford Focus.