Ya know that pic of skittles posted by trump jr?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Mars Incorporated who makes skittles responded nicely:

Skittles are candy, refugees are people. It's an inappropriate analogy. We respectfully refrain from further comment, as that could be misinterpreted as marketing.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
This is a guy that kills defenseless elephants just to pose for pictures like this:
hunt30n-9-web.jpg
Those two rounds above his cock shoved in there probably aren't what he was using in whatever variant of a Stainless Stalker from the looks of the pic.

I looks like a Browning Stainless A-Bolt at any rate.

Up next from Pixar, "An Elephants Tale"

Heh.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How is it a strawman? The Facebook quote guy said he would eat every last skittle, and multiple people here are apparently endorsing that.

I apologize, I thought he quoted something different.

No straw man found.

/red face

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Ahhhh.... same old rhetoric, same old talking points, same rehashed images... (I'm surprised you didn't use the boy washed up on the shore!)
14441199_746576945480203_3293468641333843334_n.png

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's not just skittles I've seen used for the analogy. Peanuts, Jelly beans, Life Savers. BFD!
If you let a certain number of anyone in, it's mathematically guaranteed that there will be some badies...even ones who were born here, actually. If I had a bowl of 3000 peanuts and 10 were poison, would you eat a handful?

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
It's not just skittles I've seen used for the analogy. Peanuts, Jelly beans, Life Savers. BFD!
If you let a certain number of anyone in, it's mathematically guaranteed that there will be some badies...even ones who were born here, actually. If I had a bowl of 3000 peanuts and 10 were poison, would you eat a handful?

Just waiting for that unseen cartoon voice from the back of the room shout, "But I'm allergic to peanuts!" :smile:

...more to the point, it's interesting that statistics are showing it's the children of immigrants more likely to become "radicalized" ("orthodoxed" would be a more accurate word!) I'm guessing it's because they have little knowledge of the 3rd-world hellhole their parents made the effort to leave.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

It's a rather stupid analogy no matter what is in the bowl when you start comparing people to candy/food items. Why don't we just use people or babies as an example. If you had 3000 babies in a sinking ship and you knew 3 would grow up to kill someone would you save the ship?

Waiting for your answer.

Reactions: SMOGZINN

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's a rather stupid analogy no matter what is in the bowl when you start comparing people to candy/food items. Why don't we just use people or babies as an example. If you had 3000 babies in a sinking ship and you knew 3 would grow up to kill someone would you save the ship?

Waiting for your answer.
I'm pretty sure the alt-right assholes in this thread are perfectly ok with not just letting babies die but actually being directly responsible for their deaths ... assuming those babies aren't white. Or in blue_max's case, might possibly grow up to be feminists.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure the alt-right assholes in this thread are perfectly ok with not just letting babies die but actually being directly responsible for their deaths ... assuming those babies aren't white. Or in blue_max's case, might possibly grow up to be feminists.

So now I'm a baby-killer too, eh? Got any other fun (but baseless) accusations?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

If there are tens of millions of people suffering right now under oppressive or unstable governments (currently with life expectancies far below the Western average), all of which would love to move here, would you be OK with bringing them here? Keep in mind that the majority of these people 1) do not have skills that make them easily employable, and 2) would quickly saturate an already-weak employment situation even if they can be rapidly trained/educated. Syria is the popular one because they're undergoing a war we're partially involved in, but there are plenty of nations where the citizens are probably even worse off in absence of war (e.g. Chad and Haiti). Keep in mind that even ordinarily good people can turn to crime if they're chronically unemployed and restless. Are we directly responsible for every person that dies in the world?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If there are tens of millions of people suffering right now under oppressive or unstable governments (currently with life expectancies far below the Western average), all of which would love to move here, would you be OK with bringing them here? Keep in mind that the majority of these people 1) do not have skills that make them easily employable, and 2) would quickly saturate an already-weak employment situation even if they can be rapidly trained/educated. Syria is the popular one because they're undergoing a war we're partially involved in, but there are plenty of nations where the citizens are probably even worse off in absence of war (e.g. Chad and Haiti). Keep in mind that even ordinarily good people can turn to crime if they're chronically unemployed and restless. Are we directly responsible for every person that dies in the world?

I'm not for forcing anyone to come here that doesn't want to be here. An extra 100k people isn't going to destroy this great nation.

Are we responsible for everyone that dies in the world? No, but who said we were?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I'm not for forcing anyone to come here that doesn't want to be here. An extra 100k people isn't going to destroy this great nation.

Are we responsible for everyone that dies in the world? No, but who said we were?

The quick numbers I can find suggest that approximately 6 million people apply for a green card every year, roughly 1 million will actually receive them, and a small percentage ultimately do not qualify. The system works great right now because we cherry-pick the most educated and/or skilled workers from around the globe. Now, then 5+ million a year that aren't accepted? The majority of them come from India, China, etc and had some shot of receiving their green card, but ultimately didn't make it due to limits/bad luck. Those are not people from war-torn countries at high risk of an early death. It's kind of like Harvard's 20% (or whatever it is) admission rate; it isn't that anyone can apply to Harvard and have a 1 in 5 shot at making it in, it's that the vast majority of people realize there's no point in even trying. So now we tell the world we've opened things up completely and anyone can enter if they come from a country with a life expectancy below a certain threshold, or with documented accounts of human rights violations. Watch that 5 million explode to the point where human labor is fully saturated and either 1) you have a lot of people unable to find even minimum wage jobs or 2) labor laws change and it becomes normal for citizens to cram into a tight living space and work below our current minimum wage, because it's still better than living in Somalia for those people.

According to emperus, every time there is a "sinking ship" (presumably any event that results in loss of human life), the blood is on our hands if we don't try to save every last one of them.