NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
It could either be the controller or the motor/trans. Can you hear the motor spinning? Based on the noise you heard a failed transmission seems likely.

If I was in your shoes I'd head to the home center and look at the clearance section and bargain them down from there. There are definitely deals to be had.

I'd guess the cost of the transmission is around $100 or more. Like you said, can't be without it for too long or you'll be heading to the laundromat.

Reactions: TechBoyJK

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Might as well pull apart the transmission. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Yeah, I got lucky when the electronics crapped out in the in-law's machine. I was able to source both parts for under $100 on ebay. New parts were over $500 and this machine is over a decade old. Luckily they survived for a week without it.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I don't believe that there is a clutch. I can believe that there is a solenoid controlling an actuator that engages cogs that determine whether the agitator oscillates or the drum and agitator spin as one.

Based on the cost of a new transmission, IMO it makes no sense to repair the washer. You figured it out in your first post. Now act on it.