xp2400+ temps

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..my M7VIF biostar died a few weeks ago so I replaced it with the Asus mob. Everything seems fine..clean install of xp pro..but noticed the cpu temps reach aprox 118 degrees F. after crunching seti for a few hours in a room temp of 75 degrees. I'am using the Alpha Pal 8045 heatsink..which never gets more then wam to touch. The temps were about the same in the biostar as well. Is that a reasonable under load temp??

dsj

May 2, 2005
I'm having problems with asus motherboards regarding temperature. Asus motherboards overheats the cpu and they are poor quality and have poor customer service. My xp 3000+ is 78 degrees C on the desktop with the side pannel of the case open. I'm going for a venice cpu and a giga-byte motherboard for cooler temperatures. I will never buy from asus again

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Mine hits 118 under load and it's water cooled, though the room i'm in is around 80. I think the asus boards report temps higher than they really are. Once, when it was about 65 in my office, I filled my water cooler with cold water, and my cpu temp went down to 39C as reported by the mother board. Just can't be right.

dsj

May 2, 2005
but the asus boards do shut down after it reaches it's 85 degrees C. And the cpu does perform poorly as I'm lagging in farcry probably because it's on the brink of overheating. So the poor performance in games may show that the cpu is actually that hot. And MBM reports a even higher temperature.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I was wondering if it's over reporting the temp. The heat sink I'am using is the Alpha Pal..it's a massive hunk of alum/copper and it's only warm to touch..got's a big 80mm fan on it and doesn't make much noise. The Sparkle pwr supply makes more noise then the cpu fan..well it's still crunching seti wit no smoke or flames so I guess it's alright. (fire ext.handy)...:D