XP won't show drive from Win98 system

BigAl3du

Feb 27, 2000
Hey All,

I'm attempting to copy all the files from an older IBM Deskstar 60GXP drive that has Windows 98 on it as a MBR partition to a brand new WD Cavier 60GB 7200 drive running Windows XP Pro. However, for some reason when I boot up the system running the Windows XP system I can't see the drive on the system, but it shows up in the BIOS and under the Hardware menu for XP. The system is reading the drive but won't let me access it under XP to copy the files. What can I do?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
XP cant see or read FAT32 or FAT if im right. Format as ntfs and your fine and if your xp is fat32 than i dunno.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Err.. XP CAN read and write FAT, FAT32, and NTFS.
Do this:
Right click on My Computer
Left click on Manage - that will bring up Computer Management
Click on Disk Management under Storage... you should see the new drive in there.
Find the new disk & the volume on it... right click it and assign it a drive letter... most likely it doesn't have one yet that's why you can't see it in XP.
Once you give it a drive letter... it should show up for you in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

BigAl3du

Feb 27, 2000
I tried what you mentioned Multilator and it won't allow me to assign a drive letter. The partition says it is healthy and (active), I'm not sure what that means. The version of 98 on that drive gives me a "Windows Protection Error" upon boot, could this make the drive unaccessible?

Does anyone else have any suggestions for accessing the data on this drive without reinstalling Windows 98 (I dont have a CD here) on the drive? Could I install Windows XP upgrade on the 98 drive and access my files?

I would like to completely copy the drive over to another drive, but I can't read it. Please help!

BTW...the drive is showing up in the BIOS, Hardware Manager, and Disk Manager under XP, so its seeing the drive, but I can't access the files.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Are they visible under DOS (win98 boot disk)? If so then just use one of the many copy hard drive utilities out there.

My suggestion would be to disconnect any other drives on the primary or secondary channels. Put your win98 drive that you want to copy on the primary as single/master and put the drive you want to copy to on the secondary channel. Most if not all manufacturer drive utility disks come with a set up and copy utility (if you don't have something like partition magic or norton ghost or driveimage).