XP Pro or Vista 64bit?

bond007taz

Jun 8, 2001
So I am building my machine now and was gonna go with Vista over XP - i like to play BF2142, HalfLife, warhammer 40000, supreme commander and some starcraft - does anyone see this being an issue on Vista?

HW
MSI 650i Motherboard
Q6600 Quad
2 GIG Ram (moving up to 4)
Raid 5 Raptors
BFG Physics card
SLI EVGA 8800GTX

It appears that all my HW has vista drivers, so I think it is looking good for a Vista 64bit install

any thoughts?

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You *might* have driver issues with some of the components - but for the most part - I'd go with Vista.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: bond007taz
So I am building my machine now and was gonna go with Vista over XP - i like to play BF2142, HalfLife, warhammer 40000, supreme commander and some starcraft - does anyone see this being an issue on Vista?

HW
MSI 650i Motherboard
Q6600 Quad
Raid 5 Raptors
BFG Physics card
SLI EVGA 8800GTX

It appears that all my HW has vista drivers, so I think it is looking good for a Vista 64bit install

any thoughts?

I'd go with XP Pro 64 instead. The EULA for VISTA will prevent any future upgrades after you've burn through your first officially allowed re-activation of Vista. After that you either have to lie or hope you get a person on the other line who just doesn't give a crap and hands out re-activations like candy.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
I'm on vista 64 and its been fine for the 3 months I've had it, you have two 8800's so might aswell go a DX10 OS.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Drift3r
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bond007taz

HW
MSI 650i Motherboard
Q6600 Quad
Raid 5 Raptors
BFG Physics card
SLI EVGA 8800GTX

any thoughts?</end quote></div>

I'd go with XP Pro 64 instead. The EULA for VISTA will prevent any future upgrades after you've burn through your first officially allowed re-activation of Vista. After that you either have to lie or hope you get a person on the other line who just doesn't give a crap and hands out re-activations like candy.
But XP-64 is utter crap. Having used it for two months I'd never be able to recommend it to anyone with a clear conscience. Vista-64 was a completely different story for me, I had no problems with drivers, stability, compatibility or anything; once installed it was dead simple.

I play BF2142, FEAR, HL2, BF2 and have had no issues with them at all.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Soviet
Ive just read this over at toms, seems "G80 and WD Raptors dont play nice with vista".</end quote></div>

Heh, my G80 and my raptor work flawlessly with vista64.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Drift3r

HW
MSI 650i Motherboard
Q6600 Quad
Raid 5 Raptors
BFG Physics card
SLI EVGA 8800GTX

wtf? so you can only upgrade your hardware once with vista and then you "have to" buy another copy of it? did i understand that correctly?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Drift3r

HW
MSI 650i Motherboard
Q6600 Quad
Raid 5 Raptors
BFG Physics card
SLI EVGA 8800GTX

I'd go with XP Pro 64 instead. The EULA for VISTA will prevent any future upgrades after you've burn through your first officially allowed re-activation of Vista. After that you either have to lie or hope you get a person on the other line who just doesn't give a crap and hands out re-activations like candy.</end quote></div>

wtf? so you can only upgrade your hardware once with vista and then you "have to" buy another copy of it? did i understand that correctly?

No, what you read is not the case.

I have upgraded both of my machines several times since installing vista, and yes I have had to re-activate. I just tell them why, and they have NEVER gave me a problem with the re-activation. It is a non-issue.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Ive just read this over at toms, seems "G80 and WD Raptors dont play nice with vista".</end quote></div>

Heh, my G80 and my raptor work flawlessly with vista64.

As do mine.

AstroGuardian

May 8, 2006
WHAT? I work in a computer service and i change the hardware (for testing of components) few times every single day. Does this mean that i should re-activate and ask for re-activation every day for maybe 10 times? Huh? . . . . system overloaded. . . .. . self destruction sequence in 3...2...1...(my head goes kaboom!!!)

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Vista x64 is a hunk of crap. I swear nothing worked in that OS. I have a state of the art machine which has been running flawless for about 7 months now under Windows XP x86.

Then one day I had the magical idea to get 4GB of ram (stupid crap is so cheap now, so I got tempted). So I formatted and installed Vista x64. Installation is awesome, no doubt about it. I just wish Microsoft would put more effort into the actual OS as they put into their installer. Using WHQL nforce drivers and WHQL forceware drivers I got nothing but crashes in all my games. HL2 and its mods crashed to the desktop with HL2 illegal operation errors. BF2 crashed with a memory address could not be read error. I think the only games that ran fine where CS 1.6 and Pro evolution soccer 6.

onto the sound. your smoking weed if you think you can get x-fi to work with vista x64. my microphone input sounded robotic and static. my friends on ventrilo were like WTF is wrong with your mic. then you try to select a different input for recording and it just keeps saying "unavailable" while the microphone keeps saying "working", even though I switched the input. in essence the driver is completely broken.

now im not blaming MS necesserely, because its only partially their fault. most of the fault comes from the drivers. if nvidia and creative would release decent god damn drivers everything would be awesome. But for now stick to XP. If you need to use 4GB of ram (you better have good reasons) get XP x64. its identical to XP x86, everything works perfectly. I have noticed that in XP x64 my MIC still sounds like its cutting up, but a simple restart will fix it. and game performance/stability is identical to XP x86.

my wholeharted suggestion is stay away from vista at least until SP1.

bond007taz

Jun 8, 2001
I loaded up Vista x86 business last night and not really happy with it. I got all the drivers installed but it seems really slow once you log in, give it about 15 minutes and it is usuable but not that fast - you would think with 2GB Ram and a quad intel that it would be somewhat decent. I guess i will hold off on Vista until more patches come out and the software and utilities are more mature.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: aka1nas
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: adairusmc

Heh, my G80 and my raptor work flawlessly with vista64.</end quote></div>

As do mine.

Well whatever im just saying what i read. I personally would hold off vista if i had a G80 and raptor.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I'm running Vista x64. Gaming wise, 32bit XP still gives better performance, but realisticly I don't notice huge differances. I'm running a Q6600 with 6gig of ram. There is a mod out there for the supreme commander EXE that allows it to use more than 2gig of ram. If you use 4gig of ram, it won't get full use out of a 32bit OS, 64bit Vista will allow full use of the RAM if you actualy run anything that uses that much. On an 81k map, with 8 players, I managed to get Sup com to use up to 2.15gb of ram. Some one also made a program to help maximize thread usage for supcom, and on that map, supcom barely managed to use over 2 cores near then end. Basicly, quad core is over kill, and 4 gig of ram is overkill for gaming, even in Vista. Until there are direct-x 10 games available..I see no real use for Vista on a gaming machine.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Soviet
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: aka1nas

As do mine.</end quote></div>

Well whatever im just saying what i read. I personally would hold off vista if i had a G80 and raptor.

My 8800GTX has no problems in Vista, other than slightly lower performance than XP. Same with my roomates 8800GTX's in SLI, on a 650i chipset motherboard..

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: adairusmc
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pontifex
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Drift3r

HW
MSI 650i Motherboard
Q6600 Quad
Raid 5 Raptors
BFG Physics card
SLI EVGA 8800GTX

I'd go with XP Pro 64 instead. The EULA for VISTA will prevent any future upgrades after you've burn through your first officially allowed re-activation of Vista. After that you either have to lie or hope you get a person on the other line who just doesn't give a crap and hands out re-activations like candy.</end quote></div>

wtf? so you can only upgrade your hardware once with vista and then you "have to" buy another copy of it? did i understand that correctly?</end quote></div>

No, what you read is not the case.

I have upgraded both of my machines several times since installing vista, and yes I have had to re-activate. I just tell them why, and they have NEVER gave me a problem with the re-activation. It is a non-issue.

Is this with a full Retail version or OEM?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Soviet
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: aka1nas

As do mine.</end quote></div>

Do you believe everything you read?

bond007taz

Jun 8, 2001
After some further tweaking and updating of my P6N bios and fixing a configuration error i made on my part Vista64 seems pretty good. I am running the 74Gig raptors with my 2 EVGA 8800's and it works great and I can use the control panel. I guess it all worked out ok, i was suprised at how much support there is for Vista64. I just got done playing a couple hours on BF2142 and it worked perfectly. The sweat thing is my CPU is watercooled so it cooler than my room is - i just need to work on the heat put out by the dual 8800's...

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: JAG87
Vista x64 is a hunk of crap. I swear nothing worked in that OS. I have a state of the art machine which has been running flawless for about 7 months now under Windows XP x86.

Then one day I had the magical idea to get 4GB of ram (stupid crap is so cheap now, so I got tempted). So I formatted and installed Vista x64. Installation is awesome, no doubt about it. I just wish Microsoft would put more effort into the actual OS as they put into their installer. Using WHQL nforce drivers and WHQL forceware drivers I got nothing but crashes in all my games. HL2 and its mods crashed to the desktop with HL2 illegal operation errors. BF2 crashed with a memory address could not be read error. I think the only games that ran fine where CS 1.6 and Pro evolution soccer 6.

onto the sound. your smoking weed if you think you can get x-fi to work with vista x64. my microphone input sounded robotic and static. my friends on ventrilo were like WTF is wrong with your mic. then you try to select a different input for recording and it just keeps saying "unavailable" while the microphone keeps saying "working", even though I switched the input. in essence the driver is completely broken.

now im not blaming MS necesserely, because its only partially their fault. most of the fault comes from the drivers. if nvidia and creative would release decent god damn drivers everything would be awesome. But for now stick to XP. If you need to use 4GB of ram (you better have good reasons) get XP x64. its identical to XP x86, everything works perfectly. I have noticed that in XP x64 my MIC still sounds like its cutting up, but a simple restart will fix it. and game performance/stability is identical to XP x86.

my wholeharted suggestion is stay away from vista at least until SP1.

I guess you're doing it wrong then. Perhaps your memory is defective, given the memory and address errors you're getting? My hardware is pretty new and I was able to get x64 digitally signed drivers for all of it, have no problems in BF2, BF2142, FEAR or HL2 (and Lost Coast & Ep 1). And I still think you're insane for recommending XP-x64; it's a horrible turd of an operating system that MS only squeezed out to appease us when we all had brand new Athlon 64 processors.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Roguestar
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JAG87

my wholeharted suggestion is stay away from vista at least until SP1.</end quote></div>

I guess you're doing it wrong then. Perhaps your memory is defective, given the memory and address errors you're getting? My hardware is pretty new and I was able to get x64 digitally signed drivers for all of it, have no problems in BF2, BF2142, FEAR or HL2 (and Lost Coast & Ep 1). And I still think you're insane for recommending XP-x64; it's a horrible turd of an operating system that MS only squeezed out to appease us when we all had brand new Athlon 64 processors.

As a matter of fact, if you have to go to 64 but, XP is a far better choice than Vista. XP x64 runs just like XP x86, and as long as you have drivers for all your stuff, it works seamlessly. I am typing this from my XP x64 disk right now, where I have all my games installed and they all work amazing. everything else also works amazing, I have not found one program that has given me problems in XP x64. in Vista x64 instead, everything crashed and gave me problems. I COULDN'T EVEN GET NVIDIA MONITOR TO WORK !!! as soon as I clicked the icon, that stupid little window in vista that tells you that your program has crashed would come up. what a pile of shit that operating system is. id say 2 out of 3 things I installed did not work properly.

and no, its not my ram. i ran memtest86 because like you I thought that the ram was the culprit. but it passed memtest, and im using the same 4GB right now in XP x64 and it works perfectly. so I dont know where you get the idea that XP x64 is shit, but you really should give it a try once more now that SP2 came out. that is, if you desperately need x64 or more than 2GB of ram. otherwise stick to XP x86.

peace :cookie:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: JAG87
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Roguestar
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JAG87

my wholeharted suggestion is stay away from vista at least until SP1.</end quote></div>

I guess you're doing it wrong then. Perhaps your memory is defective, given the memory and address errors you're getting? My hardware is pretty new and I was able to get x64 digitally signed drivers for all of it, have no problems in BF2, BF2142, FEAR or HL2 (and Lost Coast & Ep 1). And I still think you're insane for recommending XP-x64; it's a horrible turd of an operating system that MS only squeezed out to appease us when we all had brand new Athlon 64 processors.</end quote></div>

As a matter of fact, if you have to go to 64 but, XP is a far better choice than Vista. XP x64 runs just like XP x86, and as long as you have drivers for all your stuff, it works seamlessly. I am typing this from my XP x64 disk right now, where I have all my games installed and they all work amazing. everything else also works amazing, I have not found one program that has given me problems in XP x64. in Vista x64 instead, everything crashed and gave me problems. I COULDN'T EVEN GET NVIDIA MONITOR TO WORK !!! as soon as I clicked the icon, that stupid little window in vista that tells you that your program has crashed would come up. what a pile of shit that operating system is. id say 2 out of 3 things I installed did not work properly.

:laugh:

Just because you suck at computers does not mean vista x64 is shit.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bond007taz
After some further tweaking and updating of my P6N bios and fixing a configuration error i made on my part Vista64 seems pretty good. I am running the 74Gig raptors with my 2 EVGA 8800's and it works great and I can use the control panel. I guess it all worked out ok, i was suprised at how much support there is for Vista64. I just got done playing a couple hours on BF2142 and it worked perfectly. The sweat thing is my CPU is watercooled so it cooler than my room is - i just need to work on the heat put out by the dual 8800's...

Nice - I should look into water cooling as well. The room which houses my gaming system unfortunately sits directly in the afternoon sun. Anything to bring down the temps during a hot day would definitely make gaming more tolerable... :)