XP 2100+ Fried!! need recommendation for new cpu

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
Hello People

My year and half old XP 2100+ got fried few days ago.
Fried

Although i do not have any other system to test this cpu to make sure its in fact the CPU thats bad.
Look at the pic and see if you come to the same conclusion.

anyways, i'm looking for a new CPU for my 8K3A+. I know XP 2600+ is the fastest available, but i've read that 2500+ Barton (333mhz) work fine too with newer bios. Which one would be a better deal?? Getting some free mhz out of the new cpu wouldnt be bad either :)

help me out guys

here is what i have to work with

8K3a+
256 mb samsung PC 2700 **** ( should i get 1 stick of PC 3200 or another stick of Pc 2700 ) :?
Gainwrad Ti 4200
TB Santa Cruz
2 WD 40gigz
1 Maxtor 120 gigz
AX7 - 80MM Fan
NIC
Antec SX1040B ( i think 400 watt)

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
2500+ they OC to 3200+ with NO problem. Mine gets 2250mhz with stock cooling and no voltage adjustment

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
what about RAM...will i need to get PC 3200? or 2700 will do?

thanx

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The new Bartons are very hard to physically mod so you may need the wire trick if you get one so you can change the mulitplier on it, or you can just settle for whatever FSB your board will handle and leave the multi alone. My 8K3A+ topped out around 183mhz but I've seen higher so you might get lucky if you go that route but 200mhz isn't likely with it lacking a AGP/PCI lock or 1/6 divider. That of course providing that it's just the CPU that's toast, my 8K3A+ died, no leaking, bulging, blown Caps, no physical evidence whatsoever, and died in front of me while crunching SETI=cause of death unknown. However, the only drug found in it's system was Xtasy :p ;) Whatever you do BUY SOME COMPRESSED AIR AND LEARN TO USE IT!!! ;) That's the filthiest DIYer's board I've ever seen.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Were you overvolting??? If so, how much???

Remember a dirty dusty board like that helps insulate heat on the components and can add to their demise...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Duvie
Were you overvolting??? If so, how much???

Remember a dirty dusty board like that helps insulate heat on the components and can add to their demise...

Looks like about 120 VAC :Q

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
i was running under voltage
default was 1.75v

i was running at 1.67v ( for a year or so )
the cpu was not overclocked for the majority of the time

*** do you suspect that it might be a dead Motherboard and not a dead CPU ? ***

how can i tell??
i dont have any other equipment to test the cpu on

**when i clear cmos and turn the power ON, the fans spin for about 1/2 of a second then they die
i don't know what that means..but it does that everytime i clear cmos and turn it on

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well with the marks on the cpu I would say the cpu is gone, but I bet the power supply or the mortherdboard took them all with it. Lets hope anything else plugged into the mobo didn't go either....

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: bgeh
1800+ NIUHB
they rock!!!
2.6GHz@1.8-1.9v

go see other forums:Q

Damn that is awesome...Are those the rumored 1.475v default chips??? 1.8v is about as much as I would want to go....I remember my 1.6A that did 1ghz overclock but a 1ghz overclock with an AMD is far more impressive!!! I bet that could take out the barton 3200+ in about every test and even beat the a64 in a majority!!!

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Duvie
Well with the marks on the cpu I would say the cpu is gone, but I bet the power supply or the mortherdboard took them all with it. Lets hope anything else plugged into the mobo didn't go either....

damn are you serious ..i dont have enough money for new mobo and power supply lol

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
It may not be the power supply, but I think it is very likely the mobo is fried..The only question is to start testing the parts to see what all went. If it was a bad power supply I have seen them take everything. If it is a bad mobo I have seen it take evrything as well as take selective things.

Test the ram...test the vid card...test the power supply with a voltmeter. I wouldn't plug it into anything unless I am sure so as to minmize future destruction...

To clarify a bit more....If it was just a dead cpu the system would statup with spinning of drives and fans and even a black post screen but with a blinking cursor or even some beep tones....The fact it doesn't do that leads me to think.....

1) the power supply is toast and can't start up the system...Unplug all non-essential things. Just have 1 stick of ram, mobo, vid card, keyboard, and power supply. No harddrives. See if it posts. I just test a PSU yesterday and it acted like this. Come to find out it was the power supply.

sidenote: when the powersupply goes out and burns the cpu like that it make me think it was a massive surge that would usually blow things on the mobo. Unfortunately when this happens the mobo will displace that all over the board....Lets hope this is the worst case scenario...

2)MObo....The thing is toast...Remember the siwtch to turn power on goes through the mobo so it could be why it turns on then switches off....

Just start testing one by one and see what is gone...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
The dust around the cpu does not concern me since the mobo is filthy, but it is the burn or black mark at the one corner that does...have you inspected to see if there are any cracks (they may be quite small) present on the glass core??? Also where you around when uit went??? Did you get any funny smell??

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
just tried to bootup with videocard / mobo/ PS / ram

the fan on the heatsink spins for like 1/2 a second and then shut off

other than that .. NOT EVEN A BEEP

this happened overnight...i was sleeping and woke up to a dead computer

is there warranty of the motherboards???

ok my case and its parts are warranted for 3 years.. and my power supply came with the case. so i should get a new PS in exhange

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: r0ck
just tried to bootup with videocard / mobo/ PS / ram

the fan on the heatsink spins for like 1/2 a second and then shut off

other than that .. NOT EVEN A BEEP

this happened overnight...i was sleeping and woke up to a dead computer

is there warranty of the motherboards???

ok my case and its parts are warranted for 3 years.. and my power supply came with the case. so i should get a new PS in exhange

If you bought the retail boxes you may have a warranty long enough to still be in place...I recommend start testing those other components. I doubt any of the other components will be warrantied if the mobo took them out. If the power supply took them out then they wont be covered, but the power supply may!!! This will be a tough game.

Go test that power supply!!! Get that voltmeter. Do not plug it into anther board first....

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
hmm...the LED on the motherboard lights up for a split second when i turn the power on. but only after i clear the cmos.

if i dont clear the cmos..i get ZERO response

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
I just ordered a 2600+ barton, I have no idea if it's worth the $12 more for the 2600+ over the 2500+. But to me it was worth it to find out. I'll let you know when I get it.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
bummer, sorry to hear that
yeah if you were under 1.7v and it fryed i'm kinda suprised unless yur heatsink fell off

but yeah i guess it could be another component that went out (like the motherboard) but you'll only know if you try another cpu

good luck,
keep us updated
I for one would like to know if 1 year of slight overvolting killed your t-bred (this could be a heads up for us all)

i

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
my guess is m/b too. cpu's like that undervolted don't just fry, you'd have to be cooling it with a peice of tinfoil..

jixhb is also a good stepping, not sure which is better. go to overclockers.com forums for this kinda info.