XnViewMP in Mint Cinammon doesn't like me (directory locations) (solved)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I use XnViewMP for photo management and as I use some of the database features it makes sense to back up the ~/.config/xnviewmp/ folder so I can pick up where I left off after migrating from one Linux version to the next.

The photos are located almost exclusively on a separate HDD which is mounted at /mnt/data, just like it was on my Kubuntu install. However, XnViewMP swears that the location where photos are stored doesn't exist, despite me copying and pasting directly out of XnViewMP's config to a nemo window and working fine from the latter.

It looks like XnViewMP wants to pretend that /mnt doesn't exist at all even if I try to browse to it. The other thing that's strange is that the 'folders' pane in XnViewMP is littered with all kinds of entries, some are probably files, some folders.

Normally I would install XnViewMP from the deb file from the XnViewMP website, but this time I spotted it in the software centre so I installed it from there. I guess my next plan is to try uninstalling it and installing it from the deb file.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That was super weird. I uninstalled XnViewMP from the software manager, then went to install from the deb file which failed. I then ran apt autoremove, then apt complained some more and suggested --fix-broken install, at which point XnViewMP was already installed, working properly, the folder tree looks fine and the icon theme in XnViewMP matches with Cinammon :)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I thought I posted that update, nope still a draft :) Yup. It's gone significantly better than I hoped actually, a few long-time issues I've experienced with Kubuntu that affected other distros I've tried seem to be fixed in Mint. I wish there was a way to easily override Mint's "I'm going to use my own app icons" foible though, because the icon for simple-scan is pretty much a black box with a whiteish-blueish horizontal line, for example. Fixing font substitution in Wine is something I'm going to have to try though because Mozilla Sunbird is showing up with some squashed serif font which looks pretty terrible.

Reactions: crashtech