Xmarks + LastPass?

etherealfocus

Jun 2, 2009
Would like to have a single browser extension that

-Supports both IE and Chrome at a minimum
-Syncs passwords, forms, and bookmarks

Shouldn't be hard, but Xmarks apparently depends on LastPass for passwords, which seems like a clunky solution. Is there a good all-in-one syncing app anyone would like to recommend? I'd love to just use Chrome Sync or save all my info to Skydrive, but Chrome isn't IE-compatible and Skydrive leaves out that obvious option.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
To start: Xmarks and Lastpass are two different products. Lastpass bought out Xmarks. That's why the same company owns them.

I use both of them. It's the perfect combination because you get two pieces of software that do what they do best.

Xmarks: Once it's installed and setup you don't even know it's there. If you need to install it in another browser you just install it and login and everything is there. Next to no maintenance.

Lastpass: Works the same way as Xmarks. Just install it and forget it.

It's a very solid and dependable solution. The simple fact that Lastpass is truly cross platform is a godsend for me. Linux, Mac or Windows and even mobile - It doesn't matter. Definately not a a poor solution. It's one of the most compelling password/bookmark combinations on the market. If you're tight for cash you can use them as freeware as well.

Xmarks isn't compatible with Opera the last time i checked, however that might have changed.

Last edited:

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
I use firefox and chrome and use roboform for password backup but I now also use the sync option in firefox to dupe on other PC then use chrome import bookmarks and setting to bring everything to it