XFX Security Alert...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
wow lmao its at $5600, whoever is bidding must be fucking insane. im gonna laugh at the poor fool who buys this not knowing it comes with a prison sentence if this is true :D

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Look at the bidding history.

n***_( 3 )
Retracted: US $10,000.00
Explanation: Cannot contact the seller

I can't imagine a legitimate buyer actually bidding that high. Unless they collect limited edition graphics cards? lol

Do people not read the entire thread? Ebay wouldn't allow the listing to continue if it was truly a stolen card...

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
LOL @ eBay auction... people are stupid. Anyway... this one got me:

The HD 5970 Black Edition limited is the most insane graphics card on the planet. Check out this review that shows TWO ATI Radeon HD 5970's outperforming THREE Nvidia GeForce GTX 408's!

Orly? GTX408's... is that like the 64 shader entry version of Fermi?

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
wow lmao its at $5600, whoever is bidding must be fucking insane. im gonna laugh at the poor fool who buys this not knowing it comes with a prison sentence if this is true :D

I'm sorry, but that's a horrible understanding of the law. Even if this security alert were true, buying stolen merchandise will not give you a prison sentence unless you know it is stolen.
It's called mens rea and has to be proven based on the circumstances. Therefore whoever buys it MUST reasonably know it comes with a prison sentence or it does not.

Besides $5600 isn't really that bad for a limited item with all the PR going around it. Whoever wins the auction can get some user hits and XFX might invite and pay them to do some publicity photos/videos assuming it's not bought by an XFX themselves. Since ebay doesn't allow sham auctions XFX probably can't buy it themselves though.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
XFX Warehouse has highly trained and heavily armed security guards. Unlike my job, featurign dudes who drink a lottttt of coffee.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
Yeah...their security is so tough even the video cards are in gun cases. Anyway, it is a botched PR stunt. If it were really stolen they would have contacted Ebay and had it removed. I don't doubt it is an XFX employee that is selling it and an XFX employee who will be the ultimate winner. Even if they have to bid $25,000 for it no money will exchange hands.

Last edited:

Sonikku13

Jun 16, 2009
XFX sent another e-mail out.

Dear XFX Followers,

Thank you for participating in our latest XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited marketing campaign. Thanks to you, our Gamertainment Campaign was a huge success.

We received thousands of e-mails from fans giving us leads as to where to find our illusive product #68.

In return for your rabid participation one lucky winner chosen at random from our worldwide database of fans will receive one of these coveted XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited graphics cards. So, if this email has been sent to your email address, you are eligible and no further action is required.
SEE OFFICIAL RULES FOR RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

The winner will be announced on the XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited's official launch date on our XFX Girl Facebook page. Be sure to check there to see if you are the lucky winner!

The item listing of Product #68 eBay is a valid auction. The winning bid is a binding contract and the winner will be committed to purchasing the item. This particular card will be a fully warranted product from XFX. In addition, this highly collectible merchandise comes with the wooden crate featured in the videos and signed by the XFX girls and cast of the promotion.

Watch the official debut of XFX TV and the Gamertainment promo for the XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited and check back for more Gamertainment releases coming soon.

Sincerely,
XFX

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
It's a valid auction too. $1,000,000 now. I got the email so maybe I will win the drawing and save a $1,000,000 for something more worthwhile.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The item listing of Product #68 eBay is a valid auction. The winning bid is a binding contract and the winner will be committed to purchasing the item. This particular card will be a fully warranted product from XFX. In addition, this highly collectible merchandise comes with the wooden crate featured in the videos and signed by the XFX girls and cast of the promotion.

"Please do not attempt to buy, trade, or barter for this unit."

I wonder how that would affect the contract status, if XFX was saying not to purchase the unit.

InfoTiger

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2004
- Dual GPU
- 4GB DDR5 Memory
- Bus: PCI-E
- Output : 6x miniDP
- Thermal solution : Dual slot fansink

[eBay auction removed]

We don't allow eBay auctions, so that is being removed. The rest of this is being merged in to the existing thread.

-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
you forget the most important points is it will be signed by a bunch of no name youtube actors and the xfx girl/s(are there more than 1?).

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
I loved this bit:

Since the lack of sales record on my personal account Demon0fthefaII my post was taken down.

I am now forced to re-post this on my friend's more reputable account.
You have no idea how hard it was for me to get this card.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Didn't one of those cards come up missing from XFX ? I am sure I read that somewhere recently.

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
Didn't one of those cards come up missing from XFX ? I am sure I read that somewhere recently.

Supposedly XFX sent out an email saying the auction for #68 is legit. You'll need to check the embedded link in the email from XFX to verify if this is the same auction.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
A couple bidders in particular are driving the price up. Probably their marketing staff, big marketing ploy. If it's not, there are some really, really stupid people with too much money on their hands.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
A couple bidders in particular are driving the price up. Probably their marketing staff, big marketing ploy. If it's not, there are some really, really stupid people with too much money on their hands.

There are such people, who buy the best of the best and have no real idea about what they are buying for their computer. They are few and far between, but they do exist.