XFX Security Alert...

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Just received this email from XFX - Just figured I'd give everyone a heads-up...

Dear XFX Customers,

In light of recent events, we have come to suspect that one of our 5970 Black Edition Limited cards may have been compromised. In our current inventory check of this limited run of 1,000 individually serialized pieces, #68 has been unaccounted for. Due to evidence of a security breach in our facility, we believe it to have been illegally obtained as the product has yet been released per the embargo date. Please be aware that the person responsible will be subject to persecution by law. If any news can be provided to lead us to the apprehension of the suspect, or you can provide us with any information, please report it to security@xfxforce.com. Please do not attempt to buy, trade, or barter for this unit. We thank you for your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
XFX

--- I like the part about "persecution by law'

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
lol, so someone broke into XFX to steal a graphics card? awesome.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
They shouldnt have said anything. Maybe some idiot would have slipped by posting photos/benchmarks and they could have traced it. Now that thing is going to be in hiding until the embargo is over.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-HD-5970-Bla...tem&pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1c11ec7754

Went up yesterday....4GB card, zero feedback seller. Maybe the same one XFX is talking about?

From the ebay auction description:

You have no idea what I went through to get this card.

I don't even think it has an official release date yet!

I don't have the packaging, user manuals, or even drivers but I am sure they will be released online soon. It does come in a pretty awesome GUN CASE though...

Last edited:

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I was wondering if it was because it says this on the bottom of the email:

"This is an XFX Gamertainment Campaign. Please refer here for more information."

Ack...sorry folks. Missed that part. Live and learn, I guess.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
yes I just saw the same email. #68 is taking a long vacation somewhere. who said this guy will be selling it off? maybe he's just using it to play crysis :] come home #68 ... come home please ...

KyrosKrane

Feb 25, 2010
Now this is how you do advertising right -- make people want to watch. Great campaign, and surprisingly well acted for all its kitsch.

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
That's pretty, pretty, PRETTY stupid if that's him listing it on ebay?
Can just use a deadbeat account and send cash, get his info and freeze the funds.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
It's some sort of viral campaign Gaiden. XFX listed that card itself. And it's working, because now I'm actually interested in the card despite it looking like an assault rifle from the 1986 classic, Aliens.

AuDioFreaK39

Aug 7, 2006
twitter.com
Actually, Theo Valich from BrightSideofNews is legitimately claiming that this a Grand Theft and not a PR stunt. Long Beach, California law enforcement is going to be receiving a phone call for further investigation purposes.

Terry Makedon (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 7:35am): "Stolen XFX HD 5970 Eyefinity 6 4GB card for sale on eBay! CURRENT BID $5100!!! http://bit.ly/cSuUD7"

Theo Valich (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 7:55am): "According to CA Penal Code, Section 458, this is Grand Theft. Thus, punishment is much more severe."

Terry Makedon (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 8:03am): "RT @theovalich: Is $5100 a record for a gaming GPU Theo?"

Theo Valich (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 8:14am): "@CatalystMaker $5100 would be a record. Especially when it comes bundled with jail sentence and more than double that in penalties."

Theo Valich (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 8:17am): "I have severe doubts considering "stolen" XFX 5970 card, as it is a Grand Theft. Contacting Long Beach Police department to investigate."

Theo Valich (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 8:18am): "@CatalystMaker Terry, if this is a PR stunt, it is liable, no matter how you sugarcoat it. I have to check... and it's two GPUs Terry :p"

Theo Valich (Twitter - April 23, 2010, 8:20am): "@CatalystMaker In any case - a pathetic PR stunt. Still, XFX is getting a call from 5-O, and leave them explaining. Love that PR ;)"