XFX / Biostar might begin making AMD cards rumor

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Link

We were let know this morning that word on the street is that XFX will soon be an AMD partner selling ATI GPU based video cards. We are working on confirmation now but have not been able to get full verification yet. We will keep you in the loop.

No word on XFX yet, but Biostar is now in Radeon land.

Biostar has been making only Nvidia cards since the days of the GeForce MX4000 (2004), but now they are ready to join the ranks of dual chipset manufacturers such as Asus, Club3D, MSI, Gigabyte, Palit, and Gainward. I was adding some more Newegg links when I noticed a Biostar HD 4650 and HD 4670 just sitting there. I actually had to confirm that Biostar has not made a Radeon card in the past by searching our site.

Well darn. I looked a little deeper and I found evidence that Biostar makes Radeon cards in other countries. And it looks like those countries include Russia or some other slavic-type place. Looking at those Google results, it seems like Biostar HD 3850 and HD 2600 Pros existed at some point. The Russian Biostar site does not have old Radeon cards listed, but it looks like they are about to add some HD 4600's soon. Same deal for their Latin America, Arabic, Persian, Turkish and even Global sites.

Well Biostar is new to the Radeon party on this side of the ocean at least.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Heh, we seem to get a rumor along these lines every other month or so. Usually it's from Fuad or Charlie though, not Kyle from HardOCP.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
If XFX goes thru, they'll have a new buyer, me. Of course that only applies to ATI products... :D

LordGestle

Jan 2, 2001
They have a customer as longs as the warranties(double lifetime) stays intact. Here's to hoping for some black PCB's as well;)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm suprised more manufacturers don't build cards based on AMD and Nvidia (and Intel in the future). I know they probably get a break in price by being exclusive, but I would think having more variety and having the 'in' brand would be better overall for business. For example, did it really help HIS to only sell AMD stuff back in the Radeon 2900 days? I would think they would have liked to also have 8800's for sale back then.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Same news on Xbit and Hexus website as well. Appears that this is true and we should start to see ATI cards debuting around January from them. Sounds good! :)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Heh, we seem to get a rumor along these lines every other month or so. Usually it's from Fuad or Charlie though, not Kyle from HardOCP.

IMO two of the three names you dropped have a hit-or-miss record in rumors.

Kyle's been on a roll lately, including breaking the CPG news. Heck, there's a fresh rumor that hit their front page late this afternoon.

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
Fantastic news.

XFX make some really nice cards.
It will be good to see them cater for both markets.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: AmberClad

IMO two of the three names you dropped have a hit-or-miss record in rumors.

Kyle's been on a roll lately, including breaking the CPG news. Heck, there's a fresh rumor that hit their front page late this afternoon.
Looks like it's official as far as XFX, so Kyle was spot on. I will say this though - you can almost always count on Fud or Charlie to be first with the rumor...regardless of whether or not said rumor actually turns out to be true or not :D.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I know it is FUD...but it is here as well.

AMD and XFX officially announce partnership

AMD has announced that XFX has become an AMD add-in-board partner. We already wrote about XFX's plans to join the ATI camp, here. XFX expects to offer ATI HD 4000 series products in early 2009.

Michael Chiu, Chairman and CEO, Pine Technologies Holdings, makers of XFX graphics cards praised AMD for redefining the graphics market with the HD 4000 series. He also added that AMD gaming performance alone wasn't what caught XFX's attention, but rather a multitude of multimedia technologies used in AMD graphics cards, including video transcoding, HD playback and audio capabilities.

This leaves EVGA as the only strong Nvidia only as BFG has lost its mojo quite some time ago. EVGA will definitely get some preferencial treatment as it is Nvidia's number one partner in the USA and Nvidia really feels betrayed as XFX is the creative it created and then got betrayed.

We still have no details on upcoming ATI XFX cards, but if Gainward's entry into the ATI world is anything to go by, the company will adapt in no time.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This would make ATI cards quite a bit more attractive. XFX has far better warranty and support services than any of the existing ATI board partners.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
It's absolutely NOT FUD (for those of you who thought otherwise). XFX has put it on their site.
I think they might mean "FUD" as in Fudzilla/Fuad, not "FUD" as in Fear-Uncertainty-Doubt :D.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ugh... more decisions. Pull the trigger on the Saphirre Toxic edition now, or wait to see what XFX comes out with...

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Ugh... more decisions. Pull the trigger on the Saphirre Toxic edition now, or wait to see what XFX comes out with...

With video cards that decision is kind of easy. The longer you can wait the better/cheaper the card you can get. The harder decision is how long you can wait. ;)

EDIT: Looks like you can remove "rumor" from the thread title.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
It would be very good news if XFX do start releasing ATI video cards because XFX make very good video cards.

Better yet, this gives ATI a tier 1 vendor with lifetime warranty at a decent price. In fact, DOUBLE lifetime warranty.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
XFX Partners with AMD: Collaboration Gives Gamers More Options at Every Price Point

Ontario, Calif., December 16, 2008 ? PINE (HKSE: 8013.HK) today announced that its graphics division, XFX, is partnering with AMD. The collaboration will incorporate the award-winning ATI Radeon? HD 4000 series GPUs into XFX?s already impressive line of extreme performance graphics cards.

?We are delighted as this partnership allows us to incorporate the current and future AMD graphics technology into our future graphics card designs, and enables our R&D teams to develop an even wider range of graphics products for our worldwide customers,? said Michael Chiu, Chairman and CEO of Pine Technology Holdings.

?In the world of PC gaming, XFX is synonymous with the extreme performance that enthusiast?s crave,? said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Product Group, AMD. ?Their decision to partner with AMD and launch AMD GPU-based XFX graphics cards speaks to the level of excellence achieved by the ATI Radeon? HD 4000 series.?

XFX will debut its first ATI Radeon? HD 4000 series-based cards in early 2009. The XFX-partnered Radeon? products will come with all of the popular features that XFX is known for, including XFX?s unparalleled 5-Star support, access to customized drivers, and factory overclocked XXX series.

To learn more about XFX, its products, or its partnership with AMD, please visit www.xfxforce.com.

About XFX
XFX is a global presence in the world of electronic gaming. With its focus on taking gaming to the extreme, XFX has developed an exciting array of video cards and accessories that are designed to maximize the entire entertainment experience. A division of PINE Technologies, XFX operates its own manufacturing facility and maintains an R&D team that features some of the industry?s most renowned talents. Learn more about XFX at www.xfxforce.com.

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.