XFX and questions about their RMA process

Deathawk

Jun 1, 2007
I'm interested in RMAing my XFX 7900GS (one of their "xtreme" versions, higher stock clocks at 525/775)

Anyway, I bought it from Newegg in an Open Box deal.

If I were to RMA this card to them, what card would I be getting in return, since I'm not sure if they produce these cards anymore.

Are there any fees I have to pay to RMA the card?

How long will it take before the replacement card gets to me?

When will I find out what card will be replacing my 7900GS? The day it gets to my door?

What do I exactly have to do before RMAing?

If I think of any more questions, I will post them! :)

Thanks in advance.

I did not register the card 30 days within purchasing it. Will this cause a lot of problems?

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
I have no experience with XFX, but with Leadtek it went like this:

1. You will be getting a 7900gs, I've got three 6800GTs from Leadtek...
2. Only fee is you pay for shipping to them (You send card outta your own pocket)
3. It will take long. Took like 2 months/1 month with Leadtek
4. Yes, day it gets to your door.
5. Look up on web site what you have to do. I had to fill RMA form, email proof of purchase (screenshot of newegg invoice - available on newegg). They sent me RMA number and a US address to send video card to. I packed card, wrote RMA # on outside of the box and sent for $10.

edit: I never registered any card or other piece of hardware

Rugger

Nov 4, 1999
Just went through this very process... the wife's XFX 7900gs died.

1. Had to create an account on their support-site and go through some very basic troubleshooting until they determined that I should send it in.
2. Boxed it up and sent it in (my nickel)
3. They kept me updated on the status in their support site.
4. Roughly 24 hrs after they received it, they tested it and agreed that it was faulty.
5. New card was in the mail about 24 hours after that.
6. New card was in hand 5 days after it was sent. (FedEx)

Was very pleased to open the box and find that our replacement was an 8600GTS XXX Edition. WoW got a very nice perk up in framerates on her PC. :)

Gotta say, I was impressed/pleased with their service.

- Rugger

(Edit: Holy crap I haven't posted much since I made this account....)

Rugger

Nov 4, 1999
No, I had not registered with them...but from what I gather, things have changed since I bought the original 7900GS (Last January), and now they are tougher about it... (maybe?)

;)

-Rugger

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
They changed their warranty policy recently to allow overclocking and heatsink swapping but you had to register within 30 days of purchase. Cards bought before the warranty change were now covered with the new policy without the having to register within 30days.

From the warranty on their website
"To qualify, any 6 Series or greater Graphics Card purchased on or after April 17, 2007 must be registered within the first 30 days of purchase or the protection for the card will be limited to 1 year."

XFX Warranty (North America)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You still need to register your card with them. I've got a 6800gt that recently croaked and will get rma'd to them soon.

Lower

Jan 28, 2001
I bought an XFX 7900GS AGP from newegg.
5 weeks into it the card crashes during Bioshock and I get corrupted graphics. I can no longer get into windows.
I post onto the Bjorn3D website forum, as they have sold out to XFX.
I was told to RMA it.
I do.
A week goes by and I ask what is happening with the RMA. XFX support on the Bjorn forum says it will be sent the next day. It isn't. I ask 2 days later. I am told it will be sent that day. 2 days later it gets sent.
I call to complain. The guy says "Our shipping company had some troubles. It wasn't our fault". I'm like, but it was YOUR responsibility to get the card sent out to me. He says No, "It was the shipping companys errors".
And don't get me started on the fanboy butt kissing that the Bjorn3D forums have going for XFX. It's like every one of those shmoes thinks that there are free cards getting sent out to the biggest butt kisser.
I am heckled, and told that 2 weeks is a good turn around for computer parts RMA.
I explain my average is probably 3 days in these situations for getting through the reciept of an RMA.

Whatever.
So I get the new card. And I start getting random BSODs.
I knew it was the card because I was completely stable before. My original corruption did not make my computer unstable, just unusable.
I reformat. I try 10+ driver sets. I swap hardware (no spare video card though). Nothing helps.

I RMA that card.
I get the new card and still have BSODs - the process this time only took a week, because I demanded they cross ship.
I get the new card. Same thing.

FOUR CARDS into it, and I am still BSOD'ing and they are still able to confirm that the cards are indeed bad.

I ask, then demand to speak to someone higher up than the tech supervisor. I am told no. They refuse to let me talk to anyone higher.
I'm sorry, I feel like for my troubles they should at least be expressing regret.
And I feel like a good company might try tossing me a bonus for hanging in there.

(PSU is an Antec 430 True Power.
Plenty of PSU for a single card, more than adequate for THIS card, as confirmed by the XFX support staff themselves.

As to the naysayers saying the trouble lays elsewhere in the computer, let me point this out again in case you missed it;

A) With the original card, I had NO BSODs, and was 100% stable for 5 weeks.
B) All RMA'ed cards have been proven faulty by XFX own RMA department, so it isn't like I'm dreaming up that they are causing the BSOD's.

And again; I don't know who you guys are dealing with for manufacturers and retailers, but 2 weeks is NOT an acceptable time frame, and I refuse to do business with anyone that thinks it is.)

Lastly, my big issue isn't with their 2+ week RMA process.
My issue is only partly with them taking NO accountability or responsibility in getting my card back to me in a timely manner.
My issue with XFX is largely because I was LIED to TWICE.
TWICE I was told the card shipped and it did not.
It's as bad as dealing with DELL. I prefer the companies I deal with to stand by their word, and be accountable when something goes south along the way.
XFX did neither.

I will NEVER buy another XFX product.

But... would I RMA a non working card back to them? Of course.
What do you have to lose?

Syntax Error

Oct 29, 2007
That's a pretty bad experience you have there, are you sure that the cards were absolutely bad (as in, you tested them in other computers)? I'd be a bit skeptical after the second or third card of getting ANOTHER bad card from XFX...

Of course, they "confirmed" the card being faulty, but they could've simply said that to avoid further complaints....

Lower

Jan 28, 2001
How would agreeing with me that the card is defective make their life easier?
If anything, I would imagine they would just say "Nope, card was good, sorry! Here - have it back" and be done with this hassle.

It has taken better than 3 months for this process. And it has been a fairly continual process - maybe a week of running the RMA card before I can confirm it is not hardware related, so they are averaging like 3 weeks per RMA.

Am I sure they are bad? Yes.
Is XFX sure they are bad? Yes.

The good news it this has spurred me to move to PCIe.

And in good faith, an RMA ago I told them I would be moving to PCIe, and would gladly take a comparably valued card if they wanted to be done with this issue.
They offered me a PCIe 7900GS. I pointed out that I paid $180+ for my AGP 7900GS and they wanted to "upgrade" me to a $110 PCIe card? No way.

They could have kept me as a customer and been done with this issue had they not spent chance after chance screwing me over.

Sure it was a complete build, but I no longer have to hassle with XFX.
I just wish I hadn't ebayed my 6600GT so quickly.