XFX 4870X2 Major Issues - NEED HELP !!

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
Hi there,
Well basically, around a week ago, i decided to spend the money on a decent PC upgrade;

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz Stable and Primed'95
GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.7
6GB DDR3 Corsair Ram
XFX 4870x2 - Carried from my old machine
Corsair H50 Watercooling Kit
All other parts just standard; optical drive, 1TB Samsung F3
Corsair HX620W Modular PSU

Installation went fine but now when playing games like Left 4 Dead 2, for longer then say 15 mins, sometimes longer or shorter, it varies, the current picture locks, and a high pitched noise emits from my speakers. Ive tried reinstalls, taking my CPU back to stock and all sorts, but it still happens ( tried almost every catalyst driver out there as well !) but all to no avail.

Does this sound like a graphics card based problem or something more serious, not being a hardcore hardware man myself, I'm relatively nooby to this sort of thing.

Furthermore, the 4870x2 has default clocks set at 500Mhz and 507Mhz, I am in the process of sending it back to XFX, but in my original machine it worked fine with no locks; thus making me wonder whether or not it is the card causing the issues. I have tried playing in games with both the clocks it is set at, and with forced 750 and 900 clocks within rivatuner, but both cause locks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

* Just to clarify, the graphics card was only in my old machine for a few days, before I ordered new parts, and never realised the dodgy clock speeds until I built the new PC; but the 4870x2 in the old machine still worked perfectly fine for gaming sessions longer then 4 hours at times with no locks or crashes whatsoever.

Damien

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
If the card works perfectly in your old machine, then the problem likely isn't it.

1) How's the ventilation in your new machine?

2) Have you retried the card in the old machine to make sure it still works fine?

3) What was your old psu and have you tried that with the new rig to see if that would work?

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
HI there,
Thanks for your speedy reply. The ventilation in the case is fine, the the 4870x2 only reaching temps of 80 degrees at peek. In terms of the PSU, I moved the PSU from my old machine into my new one, and thus, the old machine only has an old 420W Hyper PSU without the available connectors. In your opinion, should a HX620 Modular Corsair PSU be able to power the above hardware in the first post i made, even with everything at stock levels ?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Not sure if this helps....

Around a few months ago I switched out my GTX280 for an hd4870x2 and an hd4870 1 gig. For about a week I was having a similar issue. Games would hardlock with a high pitched sound out of my speakers in 5-20 minutes. After much dismay and concern about all sorts of hardware issues, I found my 2 year old overclock to be the culprit. The problem was that my ram needed the smallest bump in voltage and everything was fixed.

I'm guessing your problem isn't the card. Try running with 1 stick or ram

That 500 and 507 clock speed is 2D only. The card ramps up the power and speed when a 3d app is running.

just noticed your name is Damien. Heh, mine is Damion

Last edited:

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
HI Damion :),

That was indeed very helpful and has made me think of various other things that could be causing the problem. The only slight difference is that I have tried running the games with both my overclock on and off, but i will definately try just using one stick of RAM and try boosting the voltage up a notch.

The 2D clock issue, is the only thing which cannot be solved. Since it remains at those clocks even when in 3D applications, and I have to had physically force the 750, 900 clocks to get it to work. For that reason I am sending it back. Thanks for your help. Anything else is greatly appreciated.

One last question, do your clocks flick up when in a 3d app, and if so what, what to, just so i can see. And do apps such as Furmark count as a 3d app since when i run that, it doesnt put the clocks up and neither does it in RTLHDRIBL, (google it).

Damien
^_^

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
My clocks go from 507 core 500 mem to 750 core 900 mem while using a 3d app. Try running a game and then alt tabbing out with ccc open to verify clocks. You could also use GPU-z if you wanted.

You could also try enabling overdrive in the CCC and manually bumping your clockspeed up to stock. Do it for both cores(drop down menu next to the overdrive unlock icon). There was one random time when i updated my drivers when i noticed a slight hiccup and found that the second core on my X2 was staying at 600mhz. Manually setting the core speed fixed this.

Furmark should trigger the clock speed change but i care not to download that pos utility. I am very familiar RTHDRIBL from back in my 7800 GTX days when i was testing for overclocks, nice little app.

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
Sadly it does not shift the clocks up at all within 3D Apps and the only way i can force it is within rivatuner, not even in CCC !. This to me screams graphics card based problems. But I still must check the RAM and PSU to be sure. Any other advice please say.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
does your motherboard have another slot you can try the card in? Not being able to change the clocks in CCC screams driver problem to me.

Have you tried to completely unistall the drivers and reinstall?

If the card worked in your old system fine I would say it is fine.

Do you have any friends local to you that can test the card for you in thier pc?

Out of curiousity, what do you have catalyst AI set at?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
You say it's not reaching full clocks in 3D mode which is odd. You're checking this how?

Curious to see if CCC auto tune will function, if it'll take the card to at least 750/900, and if any locks occur to that point. I'd set everything to default, be sure you have sufficient voltage applied to cpu, board and mem (1.65?), and run CCC auto tune. See what happens.

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
does your motherboard have another slot you can try the card in? Not being able to change the clocks in CCC screams driver problem to me.

Have you tried to completely unistall the drivers and reinstall?

If the card worked in your old system fine I would say it is fine.

Do you have any friends local to you that can test the card for you in thier pc?

Out of curiousity, what do you have catalyst AI set at?

Hi again,
I have tried overclocking and stock clocks with AI on/off and after resetting the CCC back to defaults. I have also tried various catalyst drivers from 9.8 upwards to 9.12 - currently on 9.11. Yes, i am trying to get a friend involved in this so we can test all the different parts out. In reference to your question, i have indeed drive clean driver installs - even clean win 7 installs to no avail.

Damien

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
You say it's not reaching full clocks in 3D mode which is odd. You're checking this how?

Curious to see if CCC auto tune will function, if it'll take the card to at least 750/900, and if any locks occur to that point. I'd set everything to default, be sure you have sufficient voltage applied to cpu, board and mem (1.65?), and run CCC auto tune. See what happens.

see, I'm curious about this too. Auto tune will crash my system the second i press the button. I don't sweat it though cause my system isn't exactly mainstream and i figure auto tune is kind of dumb when it comes to a trifire'd rig.

What puzzles me and also leads me to believe that it is not the card but some kind of combination of borked software is the fact that he can't use the overdrive utility to set his clocks. Overdrive gives you control of each gpu's fan speed and clock and memory speed. If he can't adjust any of those i'd be certain it's not a hardware problem.

I'm sure it's out of question for you bubbles but if you run out of options, I would be glad to give the card a whirl for you. I have a known working crossfire rig that works without hitch. My heat speaks for itself if you wanted to exercise this option.

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010

Hi there,
I check it within a variety of programs - gpuz, rivatuner, CCC, and HWMonitor Pro, they all report idle temps of around 80 on GPU 1 and 50-ish on GPU2 - with clocks forced to 750-900. The only interesting thing is when i boot up games like L4d2 and Crysis the temperatues barely increase- damaged sensors possibly ?

In reference to your question, Mem(1.65?), yes the memory is set to 1.65V, validated by CPUZ. I will post back results of AutoTune soon. My main concern now is whether or not my HX620W Corsair PSU is enough for an EX58 mobo, i7-920 chip, 6GB Ram and 4870x2. Some have said no, others have said plenty - may i have your opinion.

Thanks

Damien

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
i would think that that psu is enough unless it is some how not up to par...

Was this card new or used?

can you maually set your gpu fan speed?

Last edited:

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
IN response to lava, yes the fan speed can be set manually, within both CCC and other programs like rivatuner, but the card only ever peaks at a temp of 80 degrees and the fan speeds itself up anyway; i doubt that heat would be a problem within an Antec 900 with a side panel intake fan aswell.

I am still waiting for the autotune to complete and will post the results.

One thing i find strange is that, when i have forced the 750 900 clocks in rivatuner, the idle temps go up from 50 to 80 degrees, and then when I play a game, they only go up by about 3 degrees to around 83/84. Strange. Any ideas ?

In response to "The HX620W should be fine" - bare in mind its on an EX58 board with an overclocked i7 to 4ghz, 6GB Corsair ram, a creative sound card, F3 1TB Harddrive. Still would it be fine. I have tried it without my i7 overclock to 4.2 back to 2.66 and still get the crashes

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
your temps seem high for idle -- mine idles at ~42 w/ core o/c to 778 and mem @ 950 via CCC. fan speed @ 45%.

fyi: my 4870x2 runs fine on a corsair tx650.

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
HI there,

Right now as i type this message its idle temps are around 49/50 but that is with the clock speeds at 500/507. The problem is, it never switches from these clocks when i go into a 3d application, it just stays at 500/507, even after attempting to force them in CCC. I can only force them within rivatuner. And when they are forced in rivatuner, it idles and peeks at between 80-85. Any ideas ?

STRANGE: The clocks have now randomly been switched, 507 for Graphics and 500 for memory when in both 3d and 2d mode

Any ideas ??

RESULTS: For Lava: It auto tuned, and gave me clocks of 775 and 950. However it does not switch to these clocks in 3D apps !! Please any ideas why ?

Last edited:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
your peak temps are fine esp. if you are using default fan speeds. If you manually set the fan to 75 or so while gaming they will drop considerably.

I like to keep the fan set a little higher because on auto the first gpu tends to heat the second one up consierably

Like I asked before can you manually set the fan speed?

So you are saying that CCC will autotune to 775/950? That is good.

Do you have a second monitor or tv you can hook up as dual screens so you can watch gpu-z or whatever utility for a more accurate observation of what is going on while gaming?

Have you solved your shut down issue? I would still try pulling all but one ram stick for that if you haven't

Last edited:

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
Hey Lava,

Well after running that auto tune, the clocks do switch from 2d to 3d when you go into a full screen gaming application, HOWEVER, it only reports this within CCC, Gpuz and Rivatuner still say the clocks are at 507/500 - they are not actually being changed !!! Although CCC says they are, performance clearly proves they are not -as does GPUZ and Rivatuner

One question, when I first boot l4d2 I get varying framerates from 30-40-50 while playing. However, if I alt-tab out and then back in, it boosts it up to a solid 60 without change and it feels smoother. Any ideas?

Damien

Last edited:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Just saw your updates, cool. Regarding lfd2, sounds like it's running in windowed mode initially? I remember something about x2's choking in windowed mode, sounds like your alt-tabbing in full screen mode when going back in.

mrbubbles

Jan 1, 2010
Just saw your updates, cool. Regarding lfd2, sounds like it's running in windowed mode initially? I remember something about x2's choking in windowed mode, sounds like your alt-tabbing in full screen mode when going back in.

Hi Hauk,

Left 4 Dead 2 doesnt appear to be opening in windowed mode; i cannot actually see a window. Furthermore the frame rate drops after every new level load, and it requires another alt tab out. Any ideas ?

if CCC reports the change the it is happening.

let me think

Hi Lava

Although, CCC is reporting it, the card cannot be changing its clock speeds, since GPUZ and Rivatuner, both very reliable programs show the clock speeds remaining at 507/500. The only time i can get the clock speeds to stay at 750/900 is to force them and apply at startup with windows otherwise it never moves from 2d clocks. Strange, any ideas, hit back

Damien