XFX 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 artifacting? on 3d Games

FlashDeviant

Dec 16, 2013
I have recently built my first computer which has been a success, bar a faulty ssd which corrupted on me within a few weeks. However recently i have noticed some strange occurrences on my games that i play. I am not sure if this just started or if it gradually appeared or if its been there always.

I seem to get some strange threaded white lines on games such as minecraft.
Z2EAVOV.jpg

The examples here being the threaded lines on the sword but also the main issue that runs over to other games such as higher demanding games recently brought out is the textures seem to shift and move as my camera position changes, it is alot more prevalent the further i am away from the textures, e.g a wall one step infront of me is affected a little where as the wall on the other side of the map is very distorted(you might be able to make this out on the picture above but it isnt the best example. Also texture edges are very rough and is quite insulting for the quality graphics card i bought that it cant even render minecraft blocks smoothly:thumbsdown:

For such a little problem, its been driving me nuts for ages. Most seem to say its an issue with catylyst anti aliasing overide which has and always will be set to "USe Apllication Setting" aswell as all the other settings available with no change except making it worse. (to the point of making the minecraft ocean turn pink?). I have rolled the drivers froward and backwards so many times that a dog wouldnt be able to compete, from the latest to the one suplied with the card which i believe is AMD VISION ENGINE 2012.1106.1640.29876. I have tried overclocking the card slightly but made no difference except improving frame rates ironically. I have examined my computers internalls and everything seems to be plugged in where it should and i have a reputable Silverstone Strider 600w PSU with a bronze 80 plus certificate.

I am fed up with looking for solutions so i hope somebody can help, and at a last resort wish to do an RMA. Thanks and i hope for a reply soon :sneaky:

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
First thing that comes to my mind is what drivers are you using?

When I got my MSI 7870 and installed the drivers from the supplied installation disk, I was also getting crazy artifacts when the GPU was under full load (mining).

I fixed the problem by simply updating the drivers to the most current ones (13.11 beta). I am sure others will work well too though.

FlashDeviant

Dec 16, 2013
I have tried all of the drivers up to the latest that my card can possibly support. I do agree I think the issue is with the aliasing but I repeat, I have set all of those settings to use application.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I have tried all of the drivers up to the latest that my card can possibly support. I do agree I think the issue is with the aliasing but I repeat, I have set all of those settings to use application.

Can you force AA through the drivers?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I don't know what's causing it, but I doubt it's a hardware problem. At least I've never seen a hardware issue only effect AA in one game.

FlashDeviant

Dec 16, 2013
No it doesn't just effect minecraft. I used minecraft as an example, this effects nearly all games where anti-aliasing is used.