XFL suspends operations, lays off employees and has no plans for 2021 season

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

The XFL canceled its season last month after five games as part of a nationwide shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, pledging to return next year.

Guess not.
RIP XFL

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
That sucks. The DC Defenders were building a fanbase locally here.

Yeah, but that was based solely on the Redskins being so awful, not on any inherent merits of the brand of football the XFL was broadcasting. The "fanbase" said "Hey, we can watch football and not be in last place. Wahoo!!".

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, but that was based solely on the Redskins being so awful, not on any inherent merits of the brand of football the XFL was broadcasting. The "fanbase" said "Hey, we can watch football and not be in last place. Wahoo!!".
Yep 100%. And the stadium experience was awesome too from what I heard.

Reactions: highland145

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Damn I was really hoping the XFL could succeed. The NFL needs an experimental league that can show them what improvements could be implemented. Being the only kid on the block has made the NFL fat and lazy.

Mar 11, 2004
Looks like they just used their political affiliation to get WWE called essential so that they could open up (I think that means fans?).

I'm guessing Vince gets a bailout for the XFL failing (like that wasn't gonna happen anyway) too.

Damn I was really hoping the XFL could succeed. The NFL needs an experimental league that can show them what improvements could be implemented. Being the only kid on the block has made the NFL fat and lazy.

If only we had a rich tradition of amateur sports, especially football in America.