Xerox calls police before layoffs at Cary NC call center

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9351098

CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Xerox called police to its Cary facility Friday morning just before laying off 168 employees.

The company called 911 around 6 a.m. to request a police presence at their Crescent Green Drive facility.

Cary Dispatch confirmed to ABC11 that Xerox said they "were expecting trouble."

There were no reports of trouble at the company after they laid off the employees from its call center operation.

"Today we told employees and local government that we were closing call center operations for one specific line of business at our facility in Cary," said Bill McKee with Xerox's public relations department." These reductions, while very difficult decisions, reflect the changing business requirements of our clients. Our primary focus is on our employees."

The company said the center serves various other businesses, and they hope to find work for the employees with other business their company serves.

"While at this time, we are closing this specific business operation, at the same time we expect to be hiring employees in Cary and Raleigh for other lines of business," McKee said.

However, one employee who was laid off Friday told ABC11 that it was a shock, and the timing was awful with Christmas coming up.

"It's terrible timing, I mean Christmas is right around the corner. People got kids, and it's just real bad for those who were depending on that check, that Christmas check right before Christmas time," said Markey McNeill.

It is the second round of layoffs at Xerox's call center. In October, the company announced it would lose one-third of the work force at the center and cut about 500 jobs.

Friday's layoffs were a part of the 500 positions eliminated at the company, according to McKee.

Xerox currently has 1,800 employees in Cary."Today we told employees and local government that we were closing call center operations for one specific line of business at our facility in Cary," said Bill McKee with Xerox's public relations department." These reductions, while very difficult decisions, reflect the changing business requirements of our clients. Our primary focus is on our employees."

The company said the center serves various other businesses, and they hope to find work for the employees with other business their company serves.

"While at this time, we are closing this specific business operation, at the same time we expect to be hiring employees in Cary and Raleigh for other lines of business," McKee said.

However, one employee who was laid off Friday told ABC11 that it was a shock, and the timing was awful with Christmas coming up.

"It's terrible timing, I mean Christmas is right around the corner. People got kids, and it's just real bad for those who were depending on that check, that Christmas check right before Christmas time," said Markey McNeill.

It is the second round of layoffs at Xerox's call center. In October, the company announced it would lose one-third of the work force at the center and cut about 500 jobs.

Friday's layoffs were a part of the 500 positions eliminated at the company, according to McKee.

Xerox currently has 1,800 employees in Cary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Well when you're laying off 500 at once I would expect trouble too.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
There were no reports of trouble at the company after they laid off the employees from its call center operation.
Calling the cops worked.

Effed up writing in the article.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Companies really should wait until after the holidays. That's just shitty.

I mean, it's expected and companies will be forced to lay off hundreds at a time for eternity, but the least they could do is ensure they time it so its not during the most financially-sensitive time of year.

Unless they come with healthy severance packages.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005

I mean, it's expected and companies will be forced to lay off hundreds at a time for eternity, but the least they could do is ensure they time it so its not during the most financially-sensitive time of year.
But... 'merica, dude

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I know it's a layoff vs a strike so not quite the same as the Ludlow Massacre, but were they expecting something similar? lol

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

It's a quarter-end. Need to get it in before the quarter is over and you release your next set of results.

KT

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
at the cable company, it wasn't uncommon for them to call police when they fired one person. It was stupid but that's what you get with these HR people. They don't think like a normal person and they thrive on overreacting.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Fired my daycare director the Monday before Thanksgiving. If she had been doing her, very well paid, job then she wouldn't have to worry about Christmas. And I wouldn't be out of a crap ton of $$.

Yeah, apples and oranges. Just venting a little.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Yeah really.. They couldn't wait 3 weeks?

edit: oh the quarter results, must please those shareholders!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
meh...it sucks to get laid off during the holiday season...but it happens all the time. Just ask anyone who works construction, I was laid off MANY times between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. No one ever had to call the cops when it happened...

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
meh...it sucks to get laid off during the holiday season...but it happens all the time. Just ask anyone who works construction, I was laid off MANY times between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. No one ever had to call the cops when it happened...

Construction that is part of the game. You were probably happy to get laid off so late in the season because it meant you got kept on past October when a lot of work is finishing up.

Best type of construction would be working inside like pipefitter, electrician, etc. Their work isn't weather dependent like outdoor laborer / ironworker / operator types.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
At will employment at its finest. Just because you might have loyalty towards your company doesn't mean they have loyalty towards you when it counts.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
We all took it as the ultimate insult when cops were present for our mass layoff earlier this year. I guess it might be a smart/justified move at a place with relatively unskilled labor but I work at an engineering firm. It really was ridiculous.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
We all took it as the ultimate insult when cops were present for our mass layoff earlier this year. I guess it might be a smart/justified move at a place with relatively unskilled labor but I work at an engineering firm. It really was ridiculous.

People snap no matter how educated you are. Ask that Astronaut lady...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Fired my daycare director the Monday before Thanksgiving. If she had been doing her, very well paid, job then she wouldn't have to worry about Christmas. And I wouldn't be out of a crap ton of $$.

Yeah, apples and oranges. Just venting a little.

Apples and oranges, indeed.

Firing comes at a time when appropriate (which is related to actions taken by multiple parties and the results), so when it happens, is when it basically had to happen.

Lay offs, on the other hand, are mostly a timing of convenience. A company like Xerox can decide to continue paying salaries for another few weeks and ultimately barely even notice the difference in their books.
However, while it's very hit and miss, sometimes layoffs for unexpected business shifts like that also bring those laid off a severance package that, financially, isn't much different than continuing to work for a few weeks.
Of course, that's usually half because of unused PTO/vacation/sick-time, but they could still include a few weeks salary.. with the idea being they simply wanted to get the actual bodies moving out of the door and logistics in motion to prepare for what comes next... but would still like to keep them paid due to the timing.

I wouldn't expect the rosiest picture as described above, but it has happened.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Xerox should be required to pay for the police's time. They knew the layoff's were happening, the onus is on them to provide security.

This just in, Xerox hiring in India.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

It sucks to realize it was people like you and your co-workers are the reason cops are present, all because ultimately, your employer doesn't trust the collective you, but... well yeah that's basically what it is.

I think that's actually a smart idea. A little degrading, but you simply cannot predict humanity. A person can be happy, living a wonderful life, have everything they ever needed and possibly ever wanted, and they never even lifted a finger to harm a pest and would go out of their way to help a stranger, and one sudden change can send all of that spiraling until a demon-spawn is born. :\

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Call center management are all slime and they know their employees are aware they're soulless blood suckers. I'm sure they waited til the police drove up before sending an email from under their desks notifying those who were let go.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I have often thought about whether it is better to lay off employees before or after the holidays. If you do it before the holidays, then they are depressed for the holidays, but they probably will cut back on the spending.

If I lay them off right after New Years, then they might have hefty credit card bills to pay from overextending for holiday gifts.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

Construction is a bit different since it's seasonal work and layoffs are expected. My parents ran a company doing bridge construction. Boys got laid off in November and most came back come April/May. Most of them spent the winter doing indoor general contracting. Tiling, laying flooring, working on high rises etc. You can plan your finances around this.

Getting laid off suddenly and without warning is rough. More so before the holidays. I've never worked for a publicly traded company though so can't say I've experienced or witnessed it. Private companies financial years usually don't match up with the calendar ones.

Good news is, with all the jobs Obama has been creating, I'm sure these Xerox employees will be back on their feet and working at McDonald's in no time.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have often thought about whether it is better to lay off employees before or after the holidays. If you do it before the holidays, then they are depressed for the holidays, but they probably will cut back on the spending.

If I lay them off right after New Years, then they might have hefty credit card bills to pay from overextending for holiday gifts.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Damned they should have tried to save a nest egg.

/asshole post

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Our entire development group got laid off in December a few years ago. Didn't affect us because we had really good severance packages but it was still crappy.