XEON's at work...

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Well, I finially did it... I just could not stand it any more.... I couldn't let a 4 Xeon's go to waste just sitting in an a/c room doing nothing but dishing out web server crap and files and backing stuff up. So, I installed Seti on them... We shall see if that improves things any...

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Make sure you have permission!

We don't want ANYONE getting in trouble or losing their jobs. Plus, it puts DC projects in a bad light with businesses, who will be reluctant in the future to help out.

Assuming all is good, that setup will crank out some WUs! :)

Tal

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2001
Nice work! I just added a Athlon 1400 and a Dual PIII-733 to my Dual 2.8 Xeon box at work. My boss said it was cool. Wish I could run it on our Dual 3ghz Xeons with 6 GB of RAM that we use for wimpy web serving. WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY Overkill! -Tal

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Grats! That should be a great crunching machine! :)

I've got Intel on the wire to send me at least 1 P4 3.2GHz EE, and I'm still working on them to send me a Dual Xeon box myself, so hopefully we can throw more into the mix and give BBR some dust to eat :)

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I've been trying to convince my friend to ask his boss about SETI. He currently manages 126 IBM dual XEON Blade servers :D

Good job ericlp! :beer::D

Kokomo

Jan 6, 2004
Originally posted by: ericlp
Well, I finially did it... I just could not stand it any more.... I couldn't let a 4 Xeon's go to waste just sitting in an a/c room doing nothing but dishing out web server crap and files and backing stuff up. So, I installed Seti on them... We shall see if that improves things any...

Xeons were MEANT TO SERVE, and I applaud your decision. A quad can handle it's usual (normal?) tasks, and run SETI too, with nary a blip or whimper. If they whimper, lecture them on CAS latencies and otherwise obsfucate.

Pity I only have a dual, but I dream a lot.

:D

Kokomo

Jan 6, 2004
Originally posted by: RoninCS
...I've got Intel on the wire to send me at least 1 P4 3.2GHz EE...

Like to hear from you if you get an "EE" before I do. I have two D875PBZLK FMB 1.5s boards that will support the "EE," but am currently running 2.8Cs in both.

A grand buys a bunch of Rolling Rock! :beer:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
Make sure you have permission!

We don't want ANYONE getting in trouble or losing their jobs. Plus, it puts DC projects in a bad light with businesses, who will be reluctant in the future to help out.

Assuming all is good, that setup will crank out some WUs! :)

Well, it was not really the permission issue... But the fact that I did it under my OWN power and time... If I want to make it to 10,000 while seti 1 is still alive, I'll need a little help from the government... ;)

At least I'll have done 2/3rd's of it with my own funds and machines. That's providing seti one will last for 2.5 more months... :)

Not only that but I really felt confident after playing Unreal 2K/Call of Duty with full eye candy on and running two instances of SETI and NOT once has my computer crashed under the load I felt fairly confident that Seti Driver was doing a good job balancing out the load and I wouldn't have any problems at all. So, I think that it will run pretty smoothly with the servers. As for each Xeon Chip I dedicated 8 catched WU's to it. So it won't have constantly download WU all the time.