Xeon X5570 vs I7-930

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I am currently rocking the I7-930, but I have been having some issues as of late. Every time I try to use even a mild OC, 3.3-3.6 ghz, this thing I get a blue screen within a couple days, and so for the past couple months I have set factory defaults. I am not sure if the issue is the board or the CPU. When I monitored the temps while gaming they seemed fine, topping at about 70C. Which seems a bit high given I am using water cooling, but it shouldn't cause an issue.

The motherboard has a default OC feature, which is what I used, because I am lazy. All it does is increase the frequency of the core multipliers from 133 to 160, and unclocked the DDR3-1600 memory back to stock speeds.

Anyways, today I found out the Xeon x5570 was on Amazon for only $15 (used, like new). So, I bought it, and it's going to be here on Monday. I don't feel that I really need it, but a CPU for $15 is nuts. From what I can tell it's seemingly superior to my CPU in every regard, except maximum OC potential (which, I really have never bothered with). Though, I do want to try to put a medium OC on it.

According to CPUboss (Likely a shit website, but the spec comparisons were fairly nice)
-----------------Xeon x5570 -- I7-930
OC speed (Water) 4.59 GHz 4.66 GHz
OC speed (Air flow) 3.64 GHz 4.21 GHz

So what do you guys think? Upgrade, downgrade, or sidegrade/upgrade w/ oc?

Also, is there any information about OC this thing anywhere? I have been searching google, and coming up with next to nothing. The only thing I have found thus far is Tcase of 75C, and Vcore up to 1.35.

guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/xeon-e5620-overclocking-westmere-ep,review-32027-2.html

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Meh.. Both of those CPU's are 45nm. You would be much better off with a 32nm. I recently picked up a Xeon E5640 (also $15) for my son's game rig. It clocks better than a X5570 with less heat. It's currently stable at 4.5Ghz or 205 bclk at around 70C, and games are much smoother. I even ran it at 211Bclk for this benchmark thread.

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Meh.. Both of those CPU's are 45nm. You would be much better off with a 32nm. I recently picked up a Xeon E5640 (also $15) for my son's game rig. It clocks better than a X5570 with less heat. It's currently stable at 4.5Ghz or 205 bclk at around 70C, and games are much smoother. I even ran it at 211Bclk for this benchmark thread.
Damn, that's a good deal. It's still only $30 on Amazon atm. I must have missed the E5640, because it was stock clocked lower than I was wanting. I am not sure it's really better than the x5570 at stock though. Perhaps with a really high OC like you are suggesting though!

EDIT:
Yah, according to CPUboss the 5640 is a much better OC'ing CPU on air. It shows a water cooled at stock speed, which has to be an error. Guess I fucked up a little, lol. Meh, what's $15? I will get at least that much money worth of entertainment out of this thing. Thx

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Dude

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I saw that one & when I went to link it, it was sold. Glad you got it. :)
Hard to beat those 80 watt quad cores that overclock so well..

I don't know what board you have, but basically just up the bclk & voltage.. Monitor temps..

Last edited:

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
The motherboard has a default OC feature, which is what I used, because I am lazy. All it does is increase the frequency of the core multipliers from 133 to 160, and unclocked the DDR3-1600 memory back to stock speeds.

I did the same thing with my 920 and had the same issues. I just got an x5650 a couple weeks ago and it too would not OC with the auto-OC feature my mobo had. I've been able to manually OC it to 3.5, but it's not stable past that.

Since you'll probably have to end manually OCing a replacement anyway, might as well try on your 930 1st to see if you can do better than the auto-OC.

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
There is zero reason to run any non-xeon 1366 cpus. The xeons are superior in just about every way. And real man run ECC.