Xeon E5-2696 or wait for haswell-E

domis

Aug 11, 2014
Im thinking of upgrading my current i7 970 rig to a better system, which i will use for 3D renderings/after effects and games when im not working.

How will E5-2696 12 cores perform in games? I dont find any games benchmark.
The haswell-e is soon coming out, but i thought 12cores would be also good in games that support multiple cores.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Depends on the game (eg if you play Guild Wars, it should be fine. If you play the latest games, it may not work so well). Personally I would just get a separate gaming computer.

domis

Aug 11, 2014
Even with a 780 Ti card, or if needed in SLI?
I play CSGO, and ARMA3 (for now). I heard this processor is clocked at 3.0ghz after increasing the bus or something, and with games supporting multiple cores, wouldnt that be a good thing?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sure give it a try. If it doesn't play games to your satisfaction, then you'll know.

domis

Aug 11, 2014
For your info jhu - this is an expensive processor. You dont just buy and try.

Someone else with some thoughts on this is mutch appreciated.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
For your info jhu - this is an expensive processor. You dont just buy and try.

Someone else with some thoughts on this is mutch appreciated.

I know how expensive it is. If you're buying it for work purposes, then it is going to be "buy and try" for your non-work gaming purposes.

Of course, you know the reason why you're not going to get a satisfactory answer: no one in their right mind buys high-core count xeons just for gaming.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
I doubt you will find many games that scales to that many Threads. Not very often you will see games that scales well to 8 Threads via Hyper Threading or a AMD FX-8xxx, much less 12 Threads which is not something that a developer would be expecting in any type of the consumer setup that will be used for gaming.

domis

Aug 11, 2014
Thanks for the replies.
I want to point out that i got a powerful pc at office which is my full time job, but considering the fact im working many hrs each day, it would be helpful to have one at home aswell so i can see my kids once in a while :).

I understand 12 cores is not beeing used in gaming, but if it uses say 2-4 of the cores i was curious if that had been ok for gaming purpuses. My wife wont let me have 2 pc's at home, so a good combo would make me a happy man. I thats why im allso considering a i7, but as i found this xeon processor used at a "ok" price, i dont know what to do.

Im sure there are others in similar situation that plays on xeons, that had some experience with this kind of situation. And that could be Even with xeon 4 cores

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Here's some background for you.
My setup has 2 E5-2696 v2s and I can tell you they are currently the best thing going in dual Xeon configs.
So, 24 real cores, 24 hyper cores, shows up as 48 cores. :biggrin:

They turbo to 3.5 like the 2697 v2s, and in multi threaded apps they out work 2687w v2s.
In single threaded apps the 2687w v2s are faster, though.
Stock speed is 2.5, but they can throttle down to 1.2 to save energy.

Power consumption tops at 120w and they aren't at all hard to cool.
I've never seen them over 55c running Prime95 or LINPAC for 6 hours.
(I torture test my cooling setups, as my stuff is always on)
They run 29-33c @idle (1.2ghz), depending on room temp.

Keeping them in turbo mode is not hard either, I run them in Win7, so in power options, I set minimum processor speed @ 100% and all the software I have found, reports them staying in Turbo range 3.1-3.5.

I have found that many apps don't know how to fully handle them.
Some just use 1 cpu using just the 12 real cores, some 1cpu and 12 real and 12 hyper cores.
Others use both cpus, but only the 24 real cores.
But since I multi task a lot, using all 48 happens often.
Transcoding, rendering, authoring, while unraring and multiple par checking, they handles all of it at the same time!

But you asked about games.
I don't play that much, but this has dual 7970 lightnings.
When I do play it is usually Borderlands 1 or 2, sometimes one of the Bioshocks.
(and no, I'm not great at gaming, so I have not ever really worried about how many cores were used there, I always had enough other things occupying my attention while running and gunning)

My limited gaming is not real stressful stuff hardware-wise, but every thing runs fine full out in the games I play.
However, I had E5-2687w v1s in this board prior, and the results were the same.

The CPUID for the E5-2696 v2's is 306E4 and the microcode update is 00000416, so any board you are considering for these cpus, needs those in the bios.
Stay away from ES units as they are usually only support in the early bioses of MBs, and then support for them is dropped. The correct CPUID must be in the bios for the CPU to work in the board.

I got lucky and was able to buy these OEM c1's for less than 1k each from a firm that was upgrading to E7s and E5 4600 series.
Unless you have a real use for these 2696s, and like me, gaming is a far secondary use, you are probably better off with a high ghz I7 for gaming and use the money left over appeasing the wife.
I find a day at the spa for the wife, can work wonders for smoothing out a prickly disposition. :whiste:

Hope that helps.
Other ?s :cool:

Last edited:

domis

Aug 11, 2014
Thanks for feedback. Two of those would be a big time saver doing render i can imagine ;) Mosly i use rebus renderfarm when i need extra power, but to have that at home is such luxury!

I found this post: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7852/intel-xeon-e52697-v2-and-xeon-e52687w-v2-review-12-and-8-cores/6

My setup will be:
Cooler Master Silencio 452
Intel Xeon E5-2696 v2 Socket-LGA2011 (ES, but what can i do)
Corsair H110i
ASRock X79 Extreme9 Socket-2011
Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Tactical 32GB
GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb and 512GB + 2TB mechanical

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
I know Arma 3 doesn't scale as well as might be desired over more than four cores never mind 12. Going from 17 920 at 4ghz to 4770k at 4.7Ghz radically improved my performance. Brightcandle reckons six cores do add a bit over four (he estimated 15%) but the game loves clock speed as much as the new architectures. I'd wait for Haswell E and benchmarks plus over clocking feedback before making any decision. At least with Haswell E you'll get gaming benchmarks as well as video encoding info.