Xcom 2

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I thought FPS doesn't matter in a turn based game. I remember playing Civilization for the first time and it was laggy as hell but it didn't matter either because you have no real control over anything anyway. So Xcom could get like 15fps and it shouldn't matter right?

I didn't have FPS issues but the load times get longer and longer until the end of the game they're over a minute long despite having 2 ssd in raid 0. And the game constantly pauses and nothing happens for 5 seconds.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I finished it yesterday on Commander. The game starts off very difficult, but gets easier and easier as you get better gear imo. 39 hours for my campaign so it's certainly an investment of time.

Feb 25, 2011
Finished on easy - for great plot spoilers.

With a stinger like that, those bastards better give me a TFTD.

Now, to learn not to suck so I can play Commander.

Seemed like I was a lot more reliant on explosives to remove cover this time around (vs. New-XCOM 1.)

Last edited:

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
About 14hrs in and enjoying it. Only crashed on me once and noticed a few little bugs, running on 680m at 1080 graphics seems smooth to me.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Now that I've installed the 380X I ordered, I've started playing XCOM2 (my wife was trying to play it on a 6670 but it played horribly even on low settings). I have to say, I'm really unimpressed with the graphics.

Looking at XCOM EU/EW, it wasn't very demanding on the graphics. The game ran perfectly smoothly on the 5770, 6670 or 750Ti @ 1080p, the graphics weren't great, but it wasn't a game that was all about the visuals. This game however can't even run completely smoothly on a far more expensive and newer graphics card, and despite how demanding it is on the GPU, it still doesn't look that good. IMO Quake 4 looks as good as this and requires a fraction of the processing power.

So far I've tried it on max detail but AA/AF set to 2x and MSAA. It wasn't smooth on that so I switched to FXAA which smoothed out the combat gameplay satisfactorily, but it's still as jumpy as hell at times, so I'll lose AA/AF altogether I guess.

From what I've read, 2K Games are working on improving the performance, but it seems as diabolically bad as what I heard about the latest Batman game in terms of releasing a game that clearly isn't ready. What the hell equipment were they testing it on?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Now that I've installed the 380X I ordered, I've started playing XCOM2 (my wife was trying to play it on a 6670 but it played horribly even on low settings). I have to say, I'm really unimpressed with the graphics.

Looking at XCOM EU/EW, it wasn't very demanding on the graphics. The game ran perfectly smoothly on the 5770, 6670 or 750Ti @ 1080p, the graphics weren't great, but it wasn't a game that was all about the visuals. This game however can't even run completely smoothly on a far more expensive and newer graphics card, and despite how demanding it is on the GPU, it still doesn't look that good. IMO Quake 4 looks as good as this and requires a fraction of the processing power.

So far I've tried it on max detail but AA/AF set to 2x and MSAA. It wasn't smooth on that so I switched to FXAA which smoothed out the combat gameplay satisfactorily, but it's still as jumpy as hell at times, so I'll lose AA/AF altogether I guess.

From what I've read, 2K Games are working on improving the performance, but it seems as diabolically bad as what I heard about the latest Batman game in terms of releasing a game that clearly isn't ready. What the hell equipment were they testing it on?
Thanks for the update. Looks like I'm still waiting for a performance patch or a new rig before purchasing.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Thanks for the update. Looks like I'm still waiting for a performance patch or a new rig before purchasing.

The patch arrived yesterday through Steam automatically :) Most of my comment still stands, though the patch has fixed a lot of the frame rate drops. I immediately raised an eyebrow when the patch reseted the graphics settings. Once I reinstated the settings I had been using, I'd say 50-75% of the frame rate drop scenarios were resolved. Gameplay is generally smooth, though IMO they could do with fine-tuning it a bit.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

XCOM EU and EW were light enough for me to play entirely on IOS. Watching it played on YouTube on a 980ti rig with frame drops is kind of shocking.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is anyone seeing xcom2 crash since the update? I've had three or four, most of which during the avenger defence mission.

- edit - another update came in, haven't had any problem since then, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Amusing battle I had, a very effective bit of domination:

andromedon.jpg