Xcom 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've never had issues with GMG and have even received codes early for pre-installs.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I'll wait for the DLC and pick up a complete pack. /patientgamer

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The remake's method of base management and expansion timing really got on my nerves, I thought the original's method was a lot more enjoyable (ie. if I want 60 scientists, then provided I have living quarters, laboratory space and money to pay for their salaries, I can do that). Playing the remake from the start always gets me down because, for example, I'm stuck with a few scientists until I make an extra laboratory (which magically results in extra scientists), or until I complete a task that gets me more scientists, which I have to wait for, and could also be at the expense of other priorities, and I have to make sure I'm not drawing too much power at the wall... what? Also, the fact that even if you have done all the research, you continue to get more scientists each month who sit around doing nothing and yet cost nothing... I think I had >500 scientists at one point!

The combat element was a lot more fun in the remake IMO, such as the concepts of cover, elevation, etc. Having said that, the original was sometimes more realistic (e.g. the potential for friendly fire). On the other hand, the dynamic in the original for how the enemy could mind-control a friendly unit despite the fact that there's no chance on the planet that they could have line of sight was always something that really pissed me off.

XCOM EW also made some elements of gameplay absurdly easy through upgrades and some absurdly difficult IMO.

The Chryssalid map in XCOM EW was something I really wish could have been a repeating element, that map would have been a lot of fun with some properly tooled-up soldiers.

Overall I'm feeling lukewarm over the idea of a sequel.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'll wait for the DLC and pick up a complete pack. /patientgamer

Exactly how I feel. The trend of putting so much content in DLCs has strongly disincentivized me from buying games on release. I get a much better experience, at a lower cost, if I just wait six months to a year to buy a game, and Steam sales and Humble Bundles has made it so that there is almost no chance of me running out of quality games to play in the meantime. There is literally more games being made than I could possibly play.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm ok with it but I did miss more strategic base building, the layout & location. I definitely missed the aliens attacking the base regardless it was a good game.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah same here. I usually buy directly through Steam but the 27% off either version was too hard to pass up so I went with the Deluxe Edition.

How is GMG when it comes to sending out activation codes in time to preload or even play on release day?

I use GMG all the time, they are reputable and excellent. I find they generally send the codes a day before release so you may be able to pre-load. It does seem to vary a bit though. But I have always gotten the keys on release day at the absolute latest.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Really excited for this one. Have actually considered pre-ordering (which is something I haven't done in a very long time).. however, games go on sale so quickly these days ...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
gonna wait for a sale but yeah this is gonna be pretty good. I do wish we had base planning and attacks. That was always cool.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I watched people play this on twitch, i never played the first one, but this does not look to great. Lots of glitches happening in gameplay, RNG seems insanely stupid, etc.

It just does not look like its very engaging.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
welp i never ever preorder anything ever no matter what but The cynical brit's word is gold.

SrLJziT.gif

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
45 mins, I'll be playing.

Why I'm posting here; anything to tick forward the doomsday clock.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For those playing, how is performance? It seems it may be poorly optimized and hard to get a constant 60 FPS (or higher) even on higher end systems.

From a post over on H|F:
The game is really fun but holy shit the performance is terrible. Maxed out I can't even reach 60fps during missions and in the Avenger my performance is in the 20s. I'm only playing at 1920x1080 as well....On a bloody 980 ti. What the hell Firaxis?

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
For those playing, how is performance? It seems it may be poorly optimized and hard to get a constant 60 FPS (or higher) even on higher end systems.

From a post over on H|F:
That's somewhat worrisome for me if it holds true

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
There is a frame rate smoothing option? Angry centaur said it helped with all of his stuttering.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Performance is pretty bad. It's a really demanding game, which is odd as it doesn't look exceptional or anything. MSAA is incredibly demanding.