Xbox360 Scalpers Robbed

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link
'Tis the season to be ... greedy?

Apparently. At least in the Best Buy parking lot and later at a McDonald's restaurant Sunday where an armed robber and an accomplice made off with four newly purchased Xbox 360s that several young men had tried to scalp.

For those who haven't heard, Xbox 360s are the hotly promoted, newest and coolest video-game gadget cooked up by Microsoft. People are lining up outside stores nationwide and waiting for hours to buy one. Supply issues and hype make them hard to come by and, consequently, targets for thieves.

A line started forming Saturday evening outside electronic retail store Best Buy in South Anchorage. Best Buy was one of a handful of places in town to stock them. Dozens of people waited hours in the cold to buy one of the $399 units when they went on sale at 8 a.m. Sunday morning, according to Anchorage police and Best Buy clerks.

Best Buy had 50 Xbox 360s to sell. As they did after the Nov. 22 product launch, the units sold out within a couple of hours, said assistant manager Rod Person.

After waiting nine hours in line, a group of five boys and young men entered the store as soon as it opened and purchased their limit: one per customer. The young men, whose names were not available Sunday, tried to make a little extra holiday cash after emerging from the store.

They offered to part with two of their Xboxs to folks in line. For $600, said police spokesman Paul Honeman.

No one agreed. So the five, ages 14 to 24, piled into a van and drove to McDonald's on Lake Otis Parkway near Abbott Road for breakfast. They left the 14-year-old in the car with the Xboxs.

Someone who also wanted an Xbox and who apparently saw them trying to sell the consoles outside Best Buy followed them to McDonald's, Honeman said.

A man who was described as bald and wearing bluejeans and a blue hooded sweatshirt walked up to the van, opened its sliding door and pulled a gun out, police said. The man ordered the teen to open the van's rear door. Another man, described as having dark curly hair, opened the door and took four of the Xboxs.

The teen hid the fifth unit under his feet and managed to keep it, Honeman said.

The thieves drove off in a dark SUV. Police believe a third person was involved.

The holiday season appears to be bring out the worst in some Anchorage residents, according to police robbery statistics.

Anchorage usually charts about one robbery every other day. But since Thanksgiving, when the holiday shopping frenzy begins, Anchorage has experienced about one robbery daily, Honeman said.

He urged people to use common sense. When purchasing expensive items, especially if you are alone, have store security walk you to your car or ask them meet you and your car at the curb and pick up the items there, he said.

At the very least, don't make a spectacle of yourself by hawking expensive toys in parking lots, he advised.

Armed robbery is a Class A felony, punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $50,000 fine. Police urge anyone with information about the Xbox robbers to call them at 786-8900.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Holy crap! I didn't hear about this and I live here! I went to that Best Buy on SUnday (not for the Xbox though) and it was a zoo.

Rickten

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
GOOD! fvcking retards deserve to be robbed for trying to rob other people

are you dumb. They bought a product and are trying to resell. THey aren't pulling out guns and threatening people.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Rickten

are you dumb. They bought a product and are trying to resell. THey aren't pulling out guns and threatening people.

a) they are scalpers - you know what scalpers are and what they do right???
they sell stuff at a much higher price than what you would normally get the item for.
they are trying to rip people off, which is pretty much the same as robbery.

they deserve what they get. what comes around goes around.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
They aren't the idiots - the people spending more than retail on them because "they just gotta get one and can't wait a bit longer" are the ones that should have their sanity questioned.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

it's called entrepreneurship and it's a basic American value. Why do they deserve to robbed for this? Ever speculated on an investment? same thing :|

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004

they sell stuff at a much higher price than what you would normally get the item for.

Are you really that stupid? Do you know how business in the real world works?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: acemcmac

it's called entrepreneurship and it's a basic American value. Why do they deserve to robbed for this? Ever speculated on an investment? same thing :|

they might not deserve it but they still got owned and its funny as he11

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004

You should start a business. I'll be one of your best customers since now I know you'll sell it to me at the same price you got it for. :)

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I guess you haven't heard of capitalism yet. What they were doing is perfectly fine with me...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RiDE

You should start a business. I'll be one of your best customers since now I know you'll sell it to me at the same price you got it for. :)

Or at least you could hold a gun to his face and take whatever you want, and he'd be ok with it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Baked

lol, if you call that business then i think you need to seek help. how many businesses do you know that operate out of the back of a van in a McDonald's parking lot? how many businesses do you know that go to a store and buy a product at the established price for the product and try to sell it at nearly twice the amount its worth? i seem to have trouble thinking of any.

wow, i can't believe the number of people who advocate this type of behavior. this world is a really sad place.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: alien42
Originally posted by: acemcmac

they might not deserve it but they still got owned and its funny as he11
Owned? Yes. Funny? OMGLOL

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

wow, i can't believe the number of people who advocate this type of behavior. this world is a really sad place.

Not everyone necessarily advocates that "type of behavior". But its nowhere near the same as armed robbery.

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ntdz

I guess you haven't heard of capitalism yet. What they were doing is perfectly fine with me...

I guess you haven't heard of karma yet. Broadcasting Xbox 360's for sale in a parking lot bit them in the ass which is perfectly fine with me...

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked

lol, if you call that business then i think you need to seek help. how many businesses do you know that operate out of the back of a van in a McDonald's parking lot? how many businesses do you know that go to a store and buy a product at the established price for the product and try to sell it at nearly twice the amount its worth? i seem to have trouble thinking of any.

It's a sad place, yes... but not because of this. This is NOT uncommon business practice. It's a difference in degree rather than kind. Do you think that the loaf of bread you pay $2.99 for didn't cost less for the store to purchase first? What about the $999 21" LCD at Best Buy that newegg sells for $799? The only difference is, these "scalpers" don't have a storefront. They bought low and (tried to) sell high. ANy profit they made would cover their time and effort, including time spent waiting in line for possibly many hours. Somebody who would have paid more likely would not have waited anywhere near as long. This is basic business. Just not in the "usual" manner but it's identical principles at work.

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: RiDE

what an idiot...
let me see... buying something at a lower price and than reselling in your eyes is the same as robbery.

Funny... ALL BUSINESS do this! Moron. Storefronts buy items from distributor for a much much much lower price and mark the item up anywhere from 50% to 1000%!!!

Idiot.

Get mad all you want. This is America and ppl have a right to make an honest dollar. The market will determine the true value of an item... and currently the xbox 360 has an average value of $550 - $800 so get off your high horse and STFU.