Xbox Series X

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The best dash they had was the blades back on the 360.

Agreed, used to love how responsive and simple to use it was. Don Mattrick screwed it up when he tried to make XBox into an htpc for casuals like the Wii was being used as at the time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
back4blood is available with game pass. probably wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for that but definitely wanted to play it so this is cool.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't think it's great for consumers, but it's good for Microsoft. And they are lagging behind the PS for games. What do you expect them to do?

You don't play multiplayer shooters, so you aren't the target audience for this.

I think they are all lagging for games right now.After getting bored of Forza horizon and finished the halo infinite campaign there is nothing to play for me on any platform.

Maybe I’m just too picky on my gaming

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Finally decided to open up my XBX box and set it up today. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the experience really didn't feel any different than the XB1. Yes, the graphics are better and the games load quicker, but MS sticking to the exact same UI doesn't make the $500 purchase feel special. I bet my family wouldn't even be able to distinguish which one they are playing on if I put it in front of them. Guess it's a good approach if you are wanting an unified experience across everything.

This is what keeps me from jumping on an xbx or s. Halo and Forza look and play fine on my Xbox 1. How much better can the experience be. I’m just not the super hi fi guy though. Good enough is typically enough for me. Also, I still like talking to Kinect to pause and play movies and shows. 😂

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I think they are all lagging for games right now.After getting bored of Forza horizon and finished the halo infinite campaign there is nothing to play for me on any platform.

Maybe I’m just too picky on my gaming

Nobody Saves the World and Death's Door are very good.

This is what keeps me from jumping on an xbx or s. Halo and Forza look and play fine on my Xbox 1. How much better can the experience be. I’m just not the super hi fi guy though. Good enough is typically enough for me. Also, I still like talking to Kinect to pause and play movies and shows. 😂
Playing Forza Horizon 4 on my One X was pretty painful. Almost a minute of loading when transitioning becomes a few seconds on SeriesX. Worth it for that alone.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Nobody Saves the World and Death's Door are very good.

Playing Forza Horizon 4 on my One X was pretty painful. Almost a minute of loading when transitioning becomes a few seconds on SeriesX. Worth it for that alone.

I’m actually just waiting to see if Crossfire X is any good for the Xbox and hits it’s expected date and Horizon for ps5 as well. After that the rest of the games I’m looking for are a long way off or have no expected date yet. I will probably try out the top gun expansion for MS Flight Sim whenever it arrives but I expect to tire of it rather quickly too unless it has any type of air combat. If it’s just flying around I don’t think I can do that for too long just like the base game.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Really annoying thing. I do a complete shutdown from my xbox, move it to my living room to play a DVD. I have a separate HDMI cable and power cable there already setup so I have to walk 20 feet to do this, so super easy. I'm really not sure if I will watch many DVD's or do it regularly, so don't feel like spending $250-$300 on a 4K blu-ray player for now. So this works fine. I turn on the Xbox, I play the DVD.

Then I do a complete shutdown and bring it back to my gaming monitor to game. Now it gives me all sorts of issues logging back in - gives me an error code, then says I'm not online. I have to do a couple restarts to get things working again. Que?

The only variable is that when hooked up in my living room to the TV it's on WiFi, when hooked up by my gaming monitor I hook it back up to an ethernet cable. WTF is going on with this junk?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Really annoying thing. I do a complete shutdown from my xbox, move it to my living room to play a DVD. I have a separate HDMI cable and power cable there already setup so I have to walk 20 feet to do this, so super easy. I'm really not sure if I will watch many DVD's or do it regularly, so don't feel like spending $250-$300 on a 4K blu-ray player for now. So this works fine. I turn on the Xbox, I play the DVD.

Then I do a complete shutdown and bring it back to my gaming monitor to game. Now it gives me all sorts of issues logging back in - gives me an error code, then says I'm not online. I have to do a couple restarts to get things working again. Que?

I would say to check the network settings to make sure that it isn't trying to default to a wired connection and ignoring the wireless connection. I believe the Xbox has a network test option that would help too.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm impressed that Microsoft or Sony didn't jack up the price of their consoles due to inflation.

If you wanted to build a gaming PC with similar hardware specs (16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, BluRay drive, fast CPU and 4K capable graphics card), it would cost around $1,000 right now.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm impressed that Microsoft or Sony didn't jack up the price of their consoles due to inflation.

If you wanted to build a gaming PC with similar hardware specs (16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, BluRay drive, fast CPU and 4K capable graphics card), it would cost around $1,000 right now.

What video card are you using for this PC?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What video card are you using for this PC?

I was using a Radeon 6700 XT as my comparison card, as they're both using AMD RDNA 2 graphics cores. I know that an XBox Series X graphics chip is slightly more powerful than that, but it's hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison against custom hardware. That thing costs $529 on its own!

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Sony and Microsoft are playing the long game, knowing they'll likely make more money on the backend on games and subscription services with a wider base to sell to. Sony has been treating their consoles as loss leaders since undercutting the Saturn by $100 with the PS1. But I worry that strategy may not be viable any more for Sony with Microsoft owning COD and Elder Scrolls now and having them on Game Pass now Day 1.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Don't blame you. Mine has been turned on once to set it up and has sat since January.

I haven’t turned on either my ps5 or series x in a while now. I finished horizon last on ps5. My switch longer than that. Think the last game I played on series x was Halo back in December.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I haven’t turned on either my ps5 or series x in a while now. I finished horizon last on ps5. My switch longer than that. Think the last game I played on series x was Halo back in December.

I actually use my PS5 a good amount for Elden Ring and some of the other exclusives. Metroid Dread was pretty much the only thing I've played on it recently on the Switch but it gets more attention from my daughter. She likes Minecraft, Animal Crossing and a bunch of horse/unicorn games. After Elden Ring I'm having a hard time getting into anything else, even the new Horizon game. Aloy's personality is so grating and not sure I want to spend 50 hours with it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I also have not played forbidden West since elden ring. Actually elden ring is what I'm still playing as well. I would never be able to finish this game without a walkthrough but I'm having a lot of fun attempting to get through the designated areas of each episode on my own.

I'll go back to forbidden west at some point. I don't care much for Alloy's personality because it's not like my character in elden ring has a better one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah my XSX gets literally no play. I've only played Gears 5 and Doom on it, 2 Xbox One games. I barely played Doom because I wasn't a fan of it.

Oh I think I also played the Matrix UE5 tech demo thing on it.

I bought Halo 5 when I got my XSX and that game is still sealed.

There is literally no games that are coming out that I know of on XSX that I want.

Should have pulled a Wii-U and skipped it.

PS5 and Switch get played often.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
My game time dedication ends up PC > Xbox=Switch. Not enough PS5 games to bother with the system yet (didn't get a PS4 until the Pro, will probably do the same if at all with the PS5).

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I keep thinking this is going to be a great generation for XBox given how strong the hardware is and all the great studios they have under their umbrella, but with the Starfield delay it seems like now we're going to be looking at two years with freaking nothing other than Forza or Halo to sell the Series X.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I actually use my PS5 a good amount for Elden Ring and some of the other exclusives. Metroid Dread was pretty much the only thing I've played on it recently on the Switch but it gets more attention from my daughter. She likes Minecraft, Animal Crossing and a bunch of horse/unicorn games. After Elden Ring I'm having a hard time getting into anything else, even the new Horizon game. Aloy's personality is so grating and not sure I want to spend 50 hours with it.

Elden ring is not exclusive. It’s on everything but I get what you mean. I’m currently playing cyberpunk on pc since I recently finally bought a 3080ti and wanted to wait until I had ray tracing capabilities. I may try elden ring on pc later on, once a few more patches are done.

I keep thinking this is going to be a great generation for XBox given how strong the hardware is and all the great studios they have under their umbrella, but with the Starfield delay it seems like now we're going to be looking at two years with freaking nothing other than Forza or Halo to sell the Series X.

They are banking on gamepass being compelling enough on its own and it may be for some people. Honestly I don’t think the ps5 is in any better position for the rest of this year unless they can make it with god of war but that’s really only one game. The only thing that comes to mind for Xbox is maybe the MS Flight Sim top gun expansion but after a bit of flying around I will grow tired of it for sure. Even then, I might play it on pc instead. In fact starfield will be a PC title for me too.

I don’t regret my purchases at all but I do wish there was just more to play for me.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Don't blame you. Mine has been turned on once to set it up and has sat since January.

I would have definitely gotten Elden Ring on Series X if I had one at the time, just for FreeSync support. Instead had to play the PS4 version on PS5 for decent framerate since Sony refuses to support FreeSync. But that was the big third party game I was looking forward to. Don't really care about the new Arkham game or whatever trash Ubisoft releases.

Had been holding back a couple hundred dollars in amazon giftcards I got for Christmas waiting for Series X to be in stock at MSRP there, but unless we're getting Hellblade 2 this year might just decide to wait for a Series X Slim if I'm already going to be three years into the gen before any games I want on it come out.