Xbox Series X

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Man, I didn't realize XBox Series actually supported FreeSync over HDMI 2.0. Definitely will make it my console for multiplats over PS5 since PS5's rumored update is supposed to be only for VRR over HDMI 2.1 and I game on a 4k FreeSync panel.

I’m shocked that they didn’t already launch VRR support for the PS5. Then again when Sony released the HDMI 2.1 feature update for their TVs VRR didn’t even work and there are lots of issues. I think they are purposely holding it back until they can fix their TVs or something like that.

Andro Boy

Feb 4, 2017
I'm surprised at how well my Series X has been trucking along. Can't believe it's been over a year already. Hopefully by the end of this year, we'll get some true next gen only games. Having to develop around the base Xbox One is still holding certain games back.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I just got a gaming monitor and the Xbox series x told me I wasn't using all my monitor's features and suggested I turn on VRR. I happily complied with my electronic overlords

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Rainbow 6 Extraction will be available on GamePass from day one

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Finally found an XBX but not sure if I want to keep it. Is there any benefit to one over a PC? Been a Gamepass Ultimate subscriber for ever which seems to get most games. Really looking for a good excuse to keep it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finally found an XBX but not sure if I want to keep it. Is there any benefit to one over a PC? Been a Gamepass Ultimate subscriber for ever which seems to get most games. Really looking for a good excuse to keep it.
I don't even game on PC and I don't use mine at all lol. I've literally played 2 X1 games on it since launch. Finished Gears 5, which was pretty awesome aside from the open world part, and started Doom Eternal but didn't really like it. I bought Halo 5 but it's still sealed lol. And those are all games that were out on X1 well before XSX even came out.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Not really with that beefy PC you have. Gamepass on console has been a bit better, though that has been changing a lot recently. Still, PC gamepass is a bit clunky. The PC Xbox app kind of stinks and installation can be troublesome at times.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I don't even game on PC and I don't use mine at all lol. I've literally played 2 X1 games on it since launch. Finished Gears 5, which was pretty awesome aside from the open world part, and started Doom Eternal but didn't really like it. I bought Halo 5 but it's still sealed lol. And those are all games that were out on X1 well before XSX even came out.

Played those and currently finishing up Halo Infinite on the PC.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Not really with that beefy PC you have. Gamepass on console has been a bit better, though that has been changing a lot recently. Still, PC gamepass is a bit clunky. The PC Xbox app kind of stinks and installation can be troublesome at times.
It is clunk and seems to not update at times. Also the EA Beta integration sucks.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Ok so here's my take.

If you have a strong PC (you do), and are used to Steam/GOG/etc, Mouse+KB or pad for certain games, then there is mostly no point in having an Xbox.

However, big caveat if you have a library or even a handful of what you consider essential OG Xbox and 360 games you want to play. 7th gen console ports to PC were a mixed bag, and a lot of titles missed PC entirely during that time frame as well.

Ironically, Microsoft kind of pushed the XB over it's Windows/PC heritage, and those were some of the dark days for PC gaming IMHO. But if you want to play a lot of those console titles from that 6th/7th gen era, an Xbox is a good call. The Series X is probably overkill for that duty, even a Series S or last gen Xbox One X will do nicely for those.

For those that want to game at relatively* high performance levels without the insane GPU devastation grade markups and shortages, the price for an X1SS/X1SX/PS5 is pretty good provided you don't get scalped on that as well. If you're already covered on a powerful PC, ehhh. Only you can determine that, but in my opinion BC is the strongest argument for it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Ok so here's my take.

If you have a strong PC (you do), and are used to Steam/GOG/etc, Mouse+KB or pad for certain games, then there is mostly no point in having an Xbox.

However, big caveat if you have a library or even a handful of what you consider essential OG Xbox and 360 games you want to play. 7th gen console ports to PC were a mixed bag, and a lot of titles missed PC entirely during that time frame as well.

Ironically, Microsoft kind of pushed the XB over it's Windows/PC heritage, and those were some of the dark days for PC gaming IMHO. But if you want to play a lot of those console titles from that 6th/7th gen era, an Xbox is a good call. The Series X is probably overkill for that duty, even a Series S or last gen Xbox One X will do nicely for those.

For those that want to game at relatively* high performance levels without the insane GPU devastation grade markups and shortages, the price for an X1SS/X1SX/PS5 is pretty good provided you don't get scalped on that as well. If you're already covered on a powerful PC, ehhh. Only you can determine that, but in my opinion BC is the strongest argument for it.

I do have both my old 360 and XB1X so I can always resort to them for BC. I do jump on the PS5 to play games, but mostly because the exclusives take forever to land on the PC. Guess I'm stuck in the mentality of owning every console and wanted the XBX to complete the collection.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Overall, I agree with the other sentiment that if you compare the Series X to the PC, you won't find much to validate its existence. The Series X will likely have faster load times, but that's probably only until we get DirectStorage on Windows. (Although, I do assume that we'll have to get developers to implement it, which may take time, and I doubt we'll see it backported to many existing titles.) The one benefit that you might get from the Xbox is that it provides a simplified gaming experience for the couch. Although, your signature lists an HTPC that's far more than competent enough, which probably makes that a no-go.

Ultimately, I'm sort of in the same situation as you. I've got a main desktop and an HTPC, and the latter sits on the same TV as my Series X and PS5. I mostly use the Xbox when I can get a better deal on a physical game compared to a digital release. For example, I bought It Takes Two for a good price months ago. If I had waited for a good Steam price, I'd be waiting until recently when it hit 50% off. There are also some newer games that do get released on PC, but they're stuck on the Epic Games Store. For example, I bought the Sonic Colors remake on Xbox instead of PC.

Of course, there's also the point that @Arkaign made about how PC ports can sometimes be a bit lackluster, and you may not want to deal with having to use all the awkward third-party patches to fix things that should've been fixed by the developer.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Guess I'm stuck in the mentality of owning every console and wanted the XBX to complete the collection.
That is pretty much why I got it. I've had every console at launch since like PSX for the most part, aside from Wii-U, so I just had to have it. I worry about the games later on. However, here we are over a year later, and there are still no games lol.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I do have both my old 360 and XB1X so I can always resort to them for BC. I do jump on the PS5 to play games, but mostly because the exclusives take forever to land on the PC. Guess I'm stuck in the mentality of owning every console and wanted the XBX to complete the collection.

If you plan to do any substantial amount of BC play I would keep the series X and trade in the OneX (unless you just want to collect). The improvements are too great to go back to the One gen. It has been a godsend to play older games with reasonable load times and @60FPS for a lot of them now.

Personally, I skipped upgrading my PC and just got the Series X instead.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Mine is also just sitting besides the PS5. If I had not been able to upgrade my GPU I would be playing similar titles I can now play on PC, on the series X. Sometimes I also prefer the large 4k tv even if the game will run better on my computer.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Ultimately, I'm sort of in the same situation as you. I've got a main desktop and an HTPC, and the latter sits on the same TV as my Series X and PS5. I mostly use the Xbox when I can get a better deal on a physical game compared to a digital release. For example, I bought It Takes Two for a good price months ago. If I had waited for a good Steam price, I'd be waiting until recently when it hit 50% off. There are also some newer games that do get released on PC, but they're stuck on the Epic Games Store. For example, I bought the Sonic Colors remake on Xbox instead of PC.

Yeah, the HTPC is with the PS5 and other consoles. I have a Corsair LAPDOG that I use for kb/mouse gaming or a XBX controller so it feels a lot like a console. You did bring up an interesting point about the Epic store. MS at times will not put games on Game Pass Ultimate for the PC if it's on the EPIC store, but will on the console. I know that Stalker is coming to XBX on launch day, but it's not being shown for the PC.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If you plan to do any substantial amount of BC play I would keep the series X and trade in the OneX (unless you just want to collect). The improvements are too great to go back to the One gen. It has been a godsend to play older games with reasonable load times and @60FPS for a lot of them now.

Personally, I skipped upgrading my PC and just got the Series X instead.

That reminds me a bit of a friend of mine. He had talked a bit about getting a next-gen console, but wasn't really sure. I suggested that one thing that I strongly preferred was just how much more responsive they felt due to the much faster CPU and storage. I'm not sure if he took that part too seriously at first, but I ended up getting him a PlayStation 5 through Walmart. After he started using it, he finally understood what I was saying, and agreed that it was a lot nicer to use overall.

Yeah, the HTPC is with the PS5 and other consoles. I have a Corsair LAPDOG that I use for kb/mouse gaming or a XBX controller so it feels a lot like a console. You did bring up an interesting point about the Epic store. MS at times will not put games on Game Pass Ultimate for the PC if it's on the EPIC store, but will on the console. I know that Stalker is coming to XBX on launch day, but it's not being shown for the PC.

That does remind me... I need to consider looking for a Lapdog-like device. I don't mind using the keyboard on my lap, but using the mouse on the side table causes way too much elbow strain due to the odd angle. I don't know how well these devices sold, because they don't seem to be available anymore. Might just be better to fashion it out of some wood! (My peripherals are all wireless anyway.)

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
That does remind me... I need to consider looking for a Lapdog-like device. I don't mind using the keyboard on my lap, but using the mouse on the side table causes way too much elbow strain due to the odd angle. I don't know how well these devices sold, because they don't seem to be available anymore. Might just be better to fashion it out of some wood! (My peripherals are all wireless anyway.)

I found mine new in box on eBay but they do appear to be pretty rare. Often are limited to specific motherboards of that manufacturer. Was lucky to have had a Corsair keyboard that was the exact fit that I used at the office. When COVID hit, I didn't need it anymore at work so made it my HTPC one.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If y'all just want the Xbox to have one sitting there, just get the Xbox mini fridge and sit it there, dual purpose!

LOL saw a review of that and it looked terrible, couldn't get a couple of sodas cold even.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Kind of seems like the Series X isn't far from the scalper market dying off. I'm seeing them go in the $650 range shipped on ebay, which is maybe $70 profit if you're a top rated ebay store and $25 profit if you're just a well-rated seller without an ebay store. Gamestop has had two Series X bundles in stock to order online for three days now, one of them is a little over $700 for Series X + 3 month Gamepass Unlimited + $50 Gamestop giftcard + NBA 2k22 + Far Cry 6 (kind of a crap bundle) and around $750 for Series X + 3 month Gamepass Unlimited + Elite Controller (2nd gen) + $50 Gamestop giftcard, which is actually pretty solid if you want the newest version of the Elite controller.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Microsoft is buying Activision for 70 billion. F'in lol.

Definitely not what I expected to wake up to today, but makes sense. I wouldn't expect Call of Duty to suddenly become an Xbox exclusive; this is more about Game Pass and expanding into mobile. $120 per year (or more) on Game Pass suddenly becomes easier to justify when you know it'll include CoD on top of everything else.