Xbox One: Want to go digital but have capped internet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I have trouble believing this. Standard procedure for stolen accounts for every digital service ever has always been using some alternate form of identification to restore it, not banning it and taking all the games away from it.

Apparently not. I don't know about Xbox Live, but there are plenty of horror stories from PSN users.

Reddit said:
TL;DR: My account got hacked, running up over $600 in charges. Here's the conclusion after running through the Sony support gauntlet.
They can only refund up to $150.
I can dispute the charges with my bank, but that will result in my account being banned.
I cannot unban my account, and will thus lose my purchases ("but you only have the Last of Us and some of our free games, so it's not a big deal")
Whomever hacked my account deactivated my PS4, and activated their own. Customer support will only permit one activation every 6 months. I'm locked out of logging into my own account on my PS4 for six months.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2yq8oq/my_psn_account_got_hacked_this_morning_sony/

This did get resolved only after the guy made a big stink and the media picked up on it. Sony STILL doesn't offer two-factor authentication on their services, which is insane in this day and age. They have no way of knowing that you are who you say you are. It's a good idea not to store your credit card info on your PSN account for that reason. That and use strong passwords. Their security is far too archaic, like the rest of the service.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have capped internet, the future of going all-digital bothers me. My ISP offers unlimited but I'd have to cough up $60 more for that and I'm already paying over $200.

If your ISP enforces the cap, you'll either get charged for extra data (mine charges $10 for every 1GB I believe) or your bandwidth will drop to a crawl (my last ISP did that, dropped my download speeds down to 120kb/s).

PS- take very careful consideration into going all digital with your XBL account, if you're caught cheating or someone ever steals it and you report it, MS WILL ban it permanently and you'll lose ALL your digital games.

With Comcast it is $10 for extra 50GB over the 300GB cap or I can pay $30 for unlimited. Thing is I already pay way too much and am probably going to start cutting services off because of it. If I pay for unlimited and only use 200GB that month I am giving them free money. Kind of sucks.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There is an application that will tell you your usage. That one always works.
They do enforce the cap in my area (Atlanta), but I think it was one of the first 'trial' regions.
They also changed their courtesy months. Until not long ago you could go over the cap 3 times in a period of 12 months without paying extra, but looks like they changed it to 3 times ever.

Doesn't their application only read data you use from that PC? How would I figure out how much my ps4 and xb1 and fire tv use?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I have trouble believing this. Standard procedure for stolen accounts for every digital service ever has always been using some alternate form of identification to restore it, not banning it and taking all the games away from it.

I even doubt that cheating would cause you to lose your games. Maybe you'd lose your xbox live membership, which would mean that you'd lose the ability to play online and the games that were "free with gold" that you have, but then you'd have lost those anyway if you ever stopped subscribing to the service.
Well it happens, there's articles about some people completely losing their accounts over legitimiate issues. There was also a woman here where I live that had her CC stolen and had $45,000 racked up on it, she reported it and the bank still wants her to pay all it back (although a dispute led to her only having to pay half of it, which still sucks ass).

There was also one guy a few years back that had his XB360 stolen from a break and enter and it had his CC info on it, a lot of things was purchased on XBL and MS basically banned the account and he had no way of getting it back.

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Apparently not. I don't know about Xbox Live, but there are plenty of horror stories from PSN users.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2yq8oq/my_psn_account_got_hacked_this_morning_sony/

This did get resolved only after the guy made a big stink and the media picked up on it. Sony STILL doesn't offer two-factor authentication on their services, which is insane in this day and age. They have no way of knowing that you are who you say you are. It's a good idea not to store your credit card info on your PSN account for that reason. That and use strong passwords. Their security is far too archaic, like the rest of the service.

Yeah I've heard those stories. My experience with microsoft hasn't been bad though, and they do offer two-factor authentication via authenticator app and text message for microsoft accounts. I have no idea what they'd do in the event of a stolen account, but considering that you could have digital copies of windows on it in addition to games I would expect them to be a little more forgiving. They generally seem to have a pretty good track record on security issues anyway, which makes sense I suppose considering what their primary business is.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Comcast sent me a letter today saying they are doing a "trial" of the 300GB cap now or I can pay $30 for unlimited. I already pay too much. Anyway I tried to see my usage so far on their site and wouldn't you know it, it's not working and gives an error.

So If there's a lot of games to download I can see it being a big problem.

If this is new in your area, then you'll get 3 months where they allow you to go over with no fees. Well, at least that's what they did for us. To note, my bandwidth page was broken when it first started too.

Doesn't their application only read data you use from that PC? How would I figure out how much my ps4 and xb1 and fire tv use?

Most routers will let you monitor data usage.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If this is new in your area, then you'll get 3 months where they allow you to go over with no fees. Well, at least that's what they did for us. To note, my bandwidth page was broken when it first started too.

Most routers will let you monitor data usage.

Not the cheap router I need to use to get voice service. They have no option for that. My net gear loaded with tomato would but I'm not using it currently.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ugh, I ought to probably warn you about Comcast's warning system. It's... pretty obnoxious. So, you'll get warned through three measures: e-mails, phone calls and injected pop-ups. Frankly, I prefer the e-mails, and I need to find a way to tell them to only warn me that way. Amusingly enough, the e-mails are also the most prompt warning as the calls usually come the next day and the pop-ups occur randomly after the 90% or 100% breach.

So, while the calls are a bit annoying, it's the injected pop-ups that really irritate me. The problem isn't their existence, but what it does to your connection. I can tell when they're coming, because my Internet pretty much feels like it's dropped the dial-up speed. Any video website pretty much just refuses to load, and even loading these very forums, which is typically instantaneous, takes about 10 seconds. Frankly, I find that inexcusable. It's even worse when you consider that the average layperson will have no idea what's happening. The pop-ups don't appear immediately when your Internet starts acting up.

This actually happened to me just 10 minutes ago, and I hit 90% 4 days ago and 100% yesterday. In other words, the pop-ups are late and cause too many problems. :|

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That sounds terrible. They should let you opt out of the options you don't want. They probably think everyone will opt for the unlimited option if they go over enough and are inconvenienced enough times.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013

No idea on the Fire TV, but there is a menu with that info in the Xbox One. I want to say it's under Settings-->Network, then under something about bandwidth usage.

the1truelegend

Oct 4, 2015
What you suggest actually sounds like a great idea. If it's true you can just install the game from disc then buy the digital version without downloading the entire game then I'd say do it that way!

All you have to do is get GameFly. That way you can rent games (even if you had no intention of buying them) and if you like the game, just buy the digital version. And if it's a game you thought you wanted to buy but you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. Saves you money.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
What you suggest actually sounds like a great idea. If it's true you can just install the game from disc then buy the digital version without downloading the entire game then I'd say do it that way!

All you have to do is get GameFly. That way you can rent games (even if you had no intention of buying them) and if you like the game, just buy the digital version. And if it's a game you thought you wanted to buy but you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. Saves you money.
I've thought about that method before, too bad in Canada Gamefly doesn't offer the rental service.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Redbox just started offering game rentals here for PS4 and XB1. Took them long enough.

A bit off topic I'm not capped on comcast anymore. I called them and paid for uncapped internet. They were a little upset that I told them to cancel my phone and TV service and registered my own modem so I don't pay a rental fee. Now I'm going to get a new router. Gonna go all the way with an Asus RT-AC87R dual band 802.11ac router so our wireless devices get a better connection than the crap gateway comcast gives you. This takes care of my download concerns heh.

Running this speed currently.
4721017190.png

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Redbox just started offering game rentals here for PS4 and XB1. Took them long enough.

A bit off topic I'm not capped on comcast anymore. I called them and paid for uncapped internet. They were a little upset that I told them to cancel my phone and TV service and registered my own modem so I don't pay a rental fee. Now I'm going to get a new router. Gonna go all the way with an Asus RT-AC87R dual band 802.11ac router so our wireless devices get a better connection than the crap gateway comcast gives you. This takes care of my download concerns heh.

Running this speed currently.
4721017190.png

If it helps, my dad just picked that exact ASUS router up at Best buy a week ago. He was using the PoS Comcast gateway, and it was struggling to reach the other end of his house, let alone to the basement (where my little brother and I fought for an hour to get onto Xbox LIVE).

That thing's got amazing range and is really quick. IDK if they've tried the Xbox One in the basement since getting the new router, but my stepmom (whose laptop struggled to get a signal on the Comcast box) has absolutely no problems now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If it helps, my dad just picked that exact ASUS router up at Best buy a week ago. He was using the PoS Comcast gateway, and it was struggling to reach the other end of his house, let alone to the basement (where my little brother and I fought for an hour to get onto Xbox LIVE).

That thing's got amazing range and is really quick. IDK if they've tried the Xbox One in the basement since getting the new router, but my stepmom (whose laptop struggled to get a signal on the Comcast box) has absolutely no problems now.

Yep that's what I want. Plus my sister's Macbook Air has 802.11ac so when she comes over she can take advantage of that. Gonna make bestbuy pricematch newegg too.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
You may want to check router speed comparisons. Netgear's Nighthawk, which is what I use, is arguably one the best performing routers in all categories.

Thing is, there are several reviews that disagree with that link, having the RT-87U as the fastest option on the market.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2597549/asus-rt-ac87u-wi-fi-router-review-yes-it-s-fast.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/66...-dual-band-wireless-router-review/index5.html

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-ac2400-rt-ac87u-dual-band-wireless-gigabit-router/2/

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That site also lists the RT-87U/R as being overall faster than the Nighthawk when you search for best in class. The only time it is rated lower is 5Ghz max speed but averages on 5Ghz are better. I dunno why they list the Nighthawk as #1 but then in the class search rate it #2. There's probably like 2 different models being listed.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
That site also lists the RT-87U/R as being overall faster than the Nighthawk when you search for best in class. The only time it is rated lower is 5Ghz max speed but averages on 5Ghz are better. I dunno why they list the Nighthawk as #1 but then in the class search rate it #2. There's probably like 2 different models being listed.

They have an R7000 and R8000 Nighthawk, but the R8000 is SUUUUPER expensive (almost $300, on-sale for $290 at Newegg), and its ratings seem to be inconsistent (CNET gave it a 3/5, Amazon's at a 4.1, and Newegg's at a 4).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
They have an R7000 and R8000 Nighthawk, but the R8000 is SUUUUPER expensive (almost $300, on-sale for $290 at Newegg), and its ratings seem to be inconsistent (CNET gave it a 3/5, Amazon's at a 4.1, and Newegg's at a 4).

I don't trust retailer user reviews. People give a product a bad rating if they have a bad experience with shipping for example or happen to get an item that doesn't work for them.

Last edited: