Xbox One HDMI In and video pass-through

Nov 20, 2009
So, I was attempting to daisy chain the video of an older HP Stream Mini which uses HDMI out for video to feed through the Xbox One console. I go through the setup for TV and it even comes up with a thumbnail of sorts showing the HP Stream Mini login screen, but I cannot see to get it to present the video signal full-screen.

Am I doing something wrong (need to be signed into Live, etc.)? When I select the output video display, which has worked just fine for everything else, it lists the actual make/model of TV (Samsung T240HD), but still I cannot get the HP video to pass-through the One.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Is the HP Stream's screen resolution outputting 720p or 1080p? I suspect it's that. Otherwise, when you mean thumbnail, do you mean it displays on the dashboard? If so just tap 'x' after highlighting it. If you lose on the home screen and want to go back to it you go to the OneGuide and it's output should show there. Usually titled Live TV.

Nov 20, 2009
I should not have used the word thumbnail, my apologies. During wizard-based setup (not manual setup), the guided setup shows a image of a monitor/TV and on the screen is the Windows 8.1 Login screen of the HP Stream Mini. When I click next to complete it acts like it completes, but I do not know how to select the HP Stream Mini as a source to 'watch'. If I shut off the One S while the HP Stream Mini is still active the Samsung T240HD displays a lost signal message, which I interpret as no video signal being passed through.

The HP Stream Mini assumes the native resolution, by default, of the display it is connected to, and in this case the T420HD HDTV is actually 1920x1200 (1200P 16:10 aspect). I thought that if during guided setup the representation of a monitor/TV with the HP Stream Mini windows 8.1 login screen being display meant the resolution being sent by the Mini was OK, but maybe it was only OK on acceptance and not pass-through. I honestly do not know what the video resolution limitation is on the HDMI pass-through on the One S. I guess not 4K, or even anything above 1080P.

I supposed I could attempt to connect the mini directly to the T240HD and set the resolution to 1008P, disconnect and inserting One S into the video chain, and try again. But if that is the situation then it isn't worth it and I'll just opt for a cheap HDMI switch ($20 3x1 4K HDMI Monoprice).

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
That is not a HDTV, but a monitor. However it still sounds like the xbox does accept the Stream's output since it finds it To select it as a source to watch go to the OneGuide and find it under live TV. This took me awhile to find. My alternative solution prior was in the power settings to have the xbox open with 'live tv' on startup. There are a few other things you can try, but it really does sound like the xbox is fine with your Stream's output at 1920x1200 as an input. Let us know how the geometry looks. The image you'll get out of the HDMI passthrough is always processed. I'm curious to see if it maintains vertical geometry by interpolating the 1200 to 1080 or if it just crops or what.

Nov 20, 2009
That is not a HDTV, but a monitor. However it still sounds like the xbox does accept the Stream's output since it finds it To select it as a source to watch go to the OneGuide and find it under live TV. This took me awhile to find. My alternative solution prior was in the power settings to have the xbox open with 'live tv' on startup. There are a few other things you can try, but it really does sound like the xbox is fine with your Stream's output at 1920x1200 as an input. Let us know how the geometry looks. The image you'll get out of the HDMI passthrough is always processed. I'm curious to see if it maintains vertical geometry by interpolating the 1200 to 1080 or if it just crops or what.
I've never heard of a monitor with multiple HDMI inputs along with Component video input and DVI and VGA, and it has an ATSC tuner built in (I've used it). I'll try going to OneGuide and see if 'live TV' is there.

Nov 20, 2009
OK, I went to OneGuide and did as suggested and that worked. Unfortunately, the HP Stream Mini Windows 8.1 sees the display as being an Xbox One and therefore thinks the only capable maximum resolution is 1920x1080. I can alter the Samsung T240HD to display the native signal, which wastes 15%, otherwise it distorts the image because of scaling. I would say the One S is only capable of taking in a 1080P signal. Boo

While this means the One S supposedly can handle 4K somehow, it cannot take a 4K signal and pass it through. Time to go buy that $20 4K HDMI switch and forget the HDMI Input even exists.