Question Xbox One Controller Repair Help

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I have a few Xbox One controllers that have bad analog sticks. (likely from being dropped by kids, etc)

I bought some replacements from ebay a while back and finally decided to swap the analog sticks out. I was successful in desoldering and swapping them out...resoldering the left and right sticks, etc.

I decided to test the controller out and it worked...but the going through the menus on the Xbox...the selection jumped 2-3 options (both with the left analog stick and the arrows (which I didn't touch). I ended up going into diagnostics and it was showing R with an up-arrow....so it was getting right stick up feedback. This is the first time I've used this controller in a few years, so I updated the firmware and still showed the feedback. I took it back to my bench and checked the board. My solder work was neat. I cleaned the board with some 90% isopropyl alcohol and verified that continuity matched the other joystick. For kicks, I removed it and replaced it with a second "new" analog stick...and I got the same result.

My question. Does anyone know of a guide I can use to troubleshoot the right stick circuit stuck in the up position? It's not the stick itself. I've ruled that out. I'm needing a circuit diagram or cheat sheet so I know how to troubleshoot the pins.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That is odd and I don't really have any experience doing them so I don't know anything about them. My only suggestion would to maybe check the connections with a multimeter just to be sure things are what they seem.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That is odd and I don't really have any experience doing them so I don't know anything about them. My only suggestion would to maybe check the connections with a multimeter just to be sure things are what they seem.
My Google-Fu is weak with this because 99% of searches are about analog drift fixes....so everyone comes out of the woodwork being an electronics genius.

I finally found a thread where someone gave the rundown on the X and Y axis pins. Each one has 3 pins of +V -V(0) and ground. I verified that only one pin is grounded, but got no continuity between the + or - pins. I haven't tried testing this with power on because the battery pack is part of the plastic case. I would need to either solder leads and have them come out of the case or wire an external battery pack somehow.

I was worried about a short between the non ground pins and scraped the dividers on the board again.... everything looks clean and isn't shorted unless it's somewhere else on the board. I may need to trace the paths. (PITA)

I'm going to switch to my next controller, with is a v2 controller. I may just pull the new sticks back out and chuck this one if it's not worth fixing.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think I saw some youtube videos where people replaced the sticks before. There might be one that goes over the various issues which wouldn't show up in a standard search of google since the speech/content of the video is not always properly indexed for search results (since they don't do a complete speech-to-text conversion of the video to be able to search on any term used).

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think I saw some youtube videos where people replaced the sticks before. There might be one that goes over the various issues which wouldn't show up in a standard search of google since the speech/content of the video is not always properly indexed for search results (since they don't do a complete speech-to-text conversion of the video to be able to search on any term used).
I had 2 malfunctioning controllers. I disassembled the second one because I thought the stick would be damaged, but it had just popped off the analog inner peg somehow. As soon as I removed the cover, it popped back on pretty easily.

I now have another controller that's getting this *drift for lack of a better word. It's showing intermittent "Up Right Stick" feed back, but only after it receives input from either stick.

I'm going to disassemble that one and try changing the stick out on it when my work bench is clear from other projects. Funny cause I have even another controller that's had the rubber stick cover tear and the plastic stick itself needs to be replaced. Sheesh...I don't game that much, these controllers are just trash compared to the older ones that lasted. (I'm referencing NES/SNES/Sega Genesis/PlayStation 1/N64/Sega DreamCast and even Xbox 360... I never had so many controller issues until recently. I've been an Xbox One owner since maybe 2015/2016 and second gen controllers are dropping out after moderate use and I have 4 in rotation.

Agreed. There may be a video, but I read somewhere that Microsoft may have made a change to the parameters that we, as users can't access. This sounds like the kind of thing that isn't fixable without a proper diagnostics tool that uses USB to connect and set something on the controller that works together with firmware/hardware. (if what I read was hinting at the right thing)

Last edited: