Xbox Music (new Zune) to be [eventually] available on Android and iOS !

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
About time, Microsoft. I was not buying a WP7 phone to replace my ZuneHD.
I need something compatible with my Android phone, Android tablet, and [Android] MotoActv. And of course the ZuneHD while I keep it around.
:hmm:

Plus Zune Pass is awesome - I was liking Spotify Premium, but I couldn't bring myself to cancel the Zune subscription. I still have Spotify as I am/was still mulling over options.

I think I can happily hold onto the current pain of music management, since it seems my/our struggles are to believed *at some point in time yet to be announced/determined.*

DailyTech source

Oh, and if Microsoft dared to release a phone that looks like this, I might drool and commence with the hemming and hawing that would result. That looks amazing, imho. Very ZuneHD-like in appearance, though in a league of its own. Not at all getting iPhone vibe, but it also nods strongly toward the success of the minimalism meets industrial design. I've always been jealous of the iPhone's (recent models only) design - it's exactly what I'd love to have. But I can't stand anything else about the phone.

That would be abandoning the Android I have come to love though. It would be amazing for them to have the same design but wifi only. Zune+full OS in an even better hardware package? Hell. Yes. I could handle holding onto the dual-wielded smart phone + portable media player combination. :)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I miss the Zune pass and would love to have that experience back and available on other devices. I'm currently running Spotify Prem but think I'd switch back if given the option.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Oh, and if Microsoft dared to release a phone that looks like this, I might drool and commence with the hemming and hawing that would result. That looks amazing, imho. Very ZuneHD-like in appearance, though in a league of its own. Not at all getting iPhone vibe, but it also nods strongly toward the success of the minimalism meets industrial design. I've always been jealous of the iPhone's (recent models only) design - it's exactly what I'd love to have. But I can't stand anything else about the phone.

Considering Microsoft has a clause in it's licensing agreement not to clone anything, and that phone looks almost exactly like an iPhone 5, I don't see it happening.

In other news, I subscribe to Rdio and have always been interested in Zune music. I would very much welcome these moves.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Isn't the mobile music space a little saturated? Google play music, carrier specific versions, manufacturer specific versions, now zune. I am sure I missed a bunch of them.

I just think there are too many to choose from with varying features.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Lol what? o_O

Aluminum unibody with glass on the back for antenna signals.

You know it's not an iPhone. And I know it's not an iPhone. But we're no average joe that doesn't really pay attention. Walk around with that device and I would put money that you'd get more people saying "That's an iPhone" than not.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
so I've been thinking, for those of us still using the "grandfathered in" Pre Oct 2011 $14.99/mo Zune Pass plan (keep 10 songs DRM-free per month), will we get to keep this plan after Zune is killed off for good and re-branded as Xbox Music (maybe coming soon like Oct 26th when Windows 8 is released)? I hope I get to keep this plan since the going rate is what, $1/song anyways on iTunes etc. so basically I am paying $5/mo for unlimited streaming etc.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
so I've been thinking, for those of us still using the "grandfathered in" Pre Oct 2011 $14.99/mo Zune Pass plan (keep 10 songs DRM-free per month), will we get to keep this plan after Zune is killed off for good and re-branded as Xbox Music (maybe coming soon like Oct 26th when Windows 8 is released)? I hope I get to keep this plan since the going rate is what, $1/song anyways on iTunes etc. so basically I am paying $5/mo for unlimited streaming etc.

Xbox Music has been announced as indeed launching alongside Windows 8 on the 26th. Though iOS and Android are coming "at a later date."
Even without knowing how long away that is, I don't think I've ever been more excited about software. :D
What would be awesome? If, even without the app available for the phone, Xbox Music can still sync to the device. I'm dreaming here, but it's doable - no streaming or other Zune/Xbox Music services, but so long as the phone is synced often enough, the music files can keep the DRM (if they are Zune Pass tracks) current.

As for the grandfathered Zune Pass with credits, I certainly hope so. I haven't stumbled upon that specific information, but I have seen them state that current Zune Pass subscriptions will carry over into Xbox Music. That neither is in favor of, nor rules out, the $15/month plan.

And yep, I've said the same thing - I get unlimited streaming for $5/month in effect, since I get to keep 10 320kbps mp3 files every month... whenever I get around to remembering. Which, lately, has certainly not been every month. :(

Also, I have no idea how they are going to deal with Zune on current Windows versions. They have only said Xbox Music will be rolling out for the 360 and Windows 8 on October 26th. Are they only focusing on Windows 8 just to keep advertising it, or will the true Xbox Music app only land on Windows 8? Will us Windows 7 users simply hold onto the Zune application.

I also hope, with the new service, they bump up streaming/DRM downloads to 320kbps. I think right now DRM files are capped around 192kbps (WMA format, so not directly comparable to MP3). That is one reason I've still got a Spotify subscription - 320kbps streaming/downloads is awesome. Streaming in Zune is ugh, and I think is definitely no more than 192kbps, though downloads I think may be as much as 256kbps now that I think about it (ignoring the 320kbps mp3s available for credit use/purchase); there is a noticeable difference in quality for streaming and DRM downloads.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
Xbox Music has been announced as indeed launching alongside Windows 8 on the 26th. Though iOS and Android are coming "at a later date."
Even without knowing how long away that is, I don't think I've ever been more excited about software. :D
What would be awesome? If, even without the app available for the phone, Xbox Music can still sync to the device. I'm dreaming here, but it's doable - no streaming or other Zune/Xbox Music services, but so long as the phone is synced often enough, the music files can keep the DRM (if they are Zune Pass tracks) current.

As for the grandfathered Zune Pass with credits, I certainly hope so. I haven't stumbled upon that specific information, but I have seen them state that current Zune Pass subscriptions will carry over into Xbox Music. That neither is in favor of, nor rules out, the $15/month plan.

And yep, I've said the same thing - I get unlimited streaming for $5/month in effect, since I get to keep 10 320kbps mp3 files every month... whenever I get around to remembering. Which, lately, has certainly not been every month. :(

Also, I have no idea how they are going to deal with Zune on current Windows versions. They have only said Xbox Music will be rolling out for the 360 and Windows 8 on October 26th. Are they only focusing on Windows 8 just to keep advertising it, or will the true Xbox Music app only land on Windows 8? Will us Windows 7 users simply hold onto the Zune application.

I also hope, with the new service, they bump up streaming/DRM downloads to 320kbps. I think right now DRM files are capped around 192kbps (WMA format, so not directly comparable to MP3). That is one reason I've still got a Spotify subscription - 320kbps streaming/downloads is awesome. Streaming in Zune is ugh, and I think is definitely no more than 192kbps, though downloads I think may be as much as 256kbps now that I think about it (ignoring the 320kbps mp3s available for credit use/purchase); there is a noticeable difference in quality for streaming and DRM downloads.

Yea I've tried searching on Google but no articles mention if us $14.99/mo "old plan" users get to keep it. I hope so!

I'm very excited about the Android/iOS app too! I bought a Windows Phone 7 a while ago specifically just so I can use the Zune Pass while mobile. Sadly, Sprint never got another more modern Windows Phone 7 (just the older HTC Arrive) so I've since changed to a Galaxy S3.

MonkeyX

Oct 16, 2012
Note: 10 songs keepers aren’t supported by the Xbox Music app on Windows 8.

Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Partners/Zune

So i guess if you have the older Zune pass it won't work properly with the app. So if you upgrade to Windows 8 you now have to also install the Zune software which is ridiculous. My plan was to go ahead and upgrade my OS once i upgrade my phone and now i'll have to think this through.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i have zero interest in this, however i would be interested if MS woudl finially allow the xbox to stream FLAC through WMP without hacking

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
That would be awesome. I never use my zone anymore but would probably get zune pass again if I could use it on my RAZR and/or kindle fire when I get it next month.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
Note: 10 songs keepers aren’t supported by the Xbox Music app on Windows 8.

Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Partners/Zune

So i guess if you have the older Zune pass it won't work properly with the app. So if you upgrade to Windows 8 you now have to also install the Zune software which is ridiculous. My plan was to go ahead and upgrade my OS once i upgrade my phone and now i'll have to think this through.

Thanks for the update. So I guess us "10 songs keepers" (I like that summary lol) will have to stick to using the old Zune software forever (Which will likely never get updated again) either on Windows XP/7/8?

Oh well, I guess its not THAT bad. They coulda done worse by removing the "keep 10" feature from us :knock on wood:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Isn't the mobile music space a little saturated? Google play music, carrier specific versions, manufacturer specific versions, now zune. I am sure I missed a bunch of them.

I just think there are too many to choose from with varying features.
Amazon? I kinda like amazon and google music.