Xbox controller

c26zwj

Jan 15, 2012
I plan to get an xbox one controller with chatpad for use with windows 10. There are a few videos on youtube that indicate it will work but can somebody clear a few things up for me?

the play & charge kit - is this necessary? it just allows to charge and use at the same time?

the wireless usb adapter for windows - is this necessary for use with Windows? I assume yes but the controller on Amazon says it works with usb or adapter.

At the moment I don't have a controller so I don't really understand. I thought it was only wireless

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
the play and charge kit is just to charge it so you can use it wireless.

the dongle is necessary for wireless.

i used it via the usb cable but i miss the wireless.

it wasn't until recently that windows 7 was supported.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Play n charge kit is just an alternative to batteries. Problem with it is you cant tell what the charge level is unless you are on an Xbox so the controller just gives out randomly. So unless you set asside a few hours ewch week to charge it, its probably better just to use disposable AA batteries. Its lighter than a typical disposable pair if AA batteries, and you can even choose to forgo use of the battery compartment door with it, making it a decent way to shed weight on the elite controller if you consider it too heavy stock.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
The newest Xbox One S controller is bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth dongle for your PC, then you can it wirelessly without the $20 Microsoft wireless adapter.

Edit: I have the original Xbox One controller and have been using it with a micro-USB cable. I'm thinking about picking up the wireless adapter, because the USB cable is getting annoying.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I use my xbox one s controller for everything. BT really helps. I even use it for my tablets and phones. But, mostly I use the xbox elite pad for PC gaming. Its just built great and feels good in hand. Plus the 4 extra bottom lever/buttons really help in racing games and FPS. OP should just get the one s controller unless that chatpad doesnt work with it.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The newest Xbox One S controller is bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth dongle for your PC, then you can it wirelessly without the $20 Microsoft wireless adapter.

Edit: I have the original Xbox One controller and have been using it with a micro-USB cable. I'm thinking about picking up the wireless adapter, because the USB cable is getting annoying.
I have the USB dongle and it works great.

Reactions: kalrith

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I use an Xbox Elite controller with the Chat pad and a wireless adapter. It is now the only thing I use to game and browse the web.

First off, don't get the play and charge kit. Get a 4 pack of quality rechargeable AA's and a wall charger so a pair is always charged.

All usb ports on every Xbox One controller is flimsy crap. If you use the micro usb cable repeatedly, it will wear out fast. Wireless is the only acceptable option.

You must be on Windows 10 Anniversary. An update before that broke some chatpad functionality and wireless capability. Anniversary fixed that once again.

Be gentle on the normal Xbox One controller's bumpers. They are very fragile. After having 2 Xbox one controller bumpers have wear, I sprang on the Elite Controller. I have dropped it more than I can say and it still works flawlessy. And I can mash the bumpers not having to worry about them breaking. Easily my favorite controller I have ever used.