Xbox 360 to get DTS output for HD DVD

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Microsoft confirms DTS output option for Xbox 360 HD DVD

"Just a quick FYI that we are looking at this problem. I don't have an update on it because I was on vacation for a while. But for now, wanted to let you know that we are finalizing our DTS encoder which once done, should produce the same experience as the Toshiba player which everyone was happy with...."

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am so close to wanting one...have they said anything about xvid/divx decoding yet?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: BD2003
I am so close to wanting one...have they said anything about xvid/divx decoding yet?

Why would they include support for that? Think about it from their standpoint, not yours.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

Probably will never support it because all the major publishers look at xvid/divx as "pirating" codecs.

Best bet is to convert them or use a program like Transcode 360.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
You can transcode DivX files in real-time for streaming, provided your PC is fast enough.

They are aware that some of us want it, but they have never said they would support it.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Why would they include support for that? Think about it from their standpoint, not yours.

Because it'll make people buy their box? They're not a movie studio or TV broadcaster. I guess they have that kind of pressure, but MCE can play it, so why can't the Xbox?

Still holding onto my XBMC, just wish it could do HD. :(

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

Because it'll make people buy their box? They're not a movie studio or TV broadcaster. I guess they have that kind of pressure, but MCE can play it, so why can't the Xbox?

They're also pushing HD DVD and video downloads so they have to stay in the good graces of TV and movie studios.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Their target market is gamers, not people wanting to play pirated movies/copyrighted content on their console. They were admittedly fascinated by the mod scene on the original XBox, but their goal isn't to cater to that scene.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Eug
Microsoft confirms DTS output option for Xbox 360 HD DVD

"Just a quick FYI that we are looking at this problem. I don't have an update on it because I was on vacation for a while. But for now, wanted to let you know that we are finalizing our DTS encoder which once done, should produce the same experience as the Toshiba player which everyone was happy with...."
P.S. For those unaware:

Right now all HD DVD audio tracks on the Xbox 360 are re-encoded to 640 Kbps Dolby Digital for final output. This DTS option would change the output to 1.5 Mbps DTS. This would probably satisfy the complaints about flat-sounding audio from the Xbox 360 HD DVD.

I have a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player with DTS output, and the audio sounds better IMO than the Xbox 360's DD output.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
All the cool stuff a 360 can do other then gaming, and I wish I had a use for it.... :(

Only one I'm going to be using any time soon is the HD-DVD playback.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
Originally posted by: coinz
Originally posted by: coinz
Originally posted by: yllus
WMV transcoding for the Xbox 360 is here

Can't wait to try it out at home tonight w/ Battlestar Galactica.

I'm gonna try that later

ok that program works damn good, I can stream everything over to the 360..

how fast of a computer are you all using to steam using tversity? I have a p4 2.4ghz w/ HT and 1gb ram that I want to use...will that work at high quality?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy

They're also pushing HD DVD and video downloads so they have to stay in the good graces of TV and movie studios.

no i think they can be a touch braver and add divx support. look at the ipod, they have their drm, but they also supported mp3:) it can work.

i can see the problem with making a console a cheap pc alternative, and losing gaming sales. but divx? divx people tend to be gamers anyways.