Xbox 360 slim fan not working

MrCheapskate

Jan 15, 2022
So i bought these Xbox 360 slim from my friend and when i test it, i notice that the fan is not spinning and also the console is full of dust. Do u think that's the cause of the problem?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Probably. Just open it up and check it out. Turn it on while it's case is off and just verify it's not spinning. If it's not, buy a replacement. You should spray some air in there while it's open too.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Probably. Just open it up and check it out. Turn it on while it's case is off and just verify it's not spinning. If it's not, buy a replacement. You should spray some air in there while it's open too.
Vacuuming is probably better. Lord knows what 10yr old bacterium is in that Xbox! :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Vacuuming is probably better. Lord knows what 10yr old bacterium is in that Xbox! :)

Whenever I watch LTT and they're cleaning out a device, they seem to avoid vacuuming with electronics there. (A bare case wouldn't matter.) I haven't really looked into it much, but I don't know if there's a suggestion that vacuuming can create static or something? I'll look into it a bit more....

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The grossest console I ever saw was this Xbox someone gave me to mod. It had an odd smell to it.

When I opened it up, that thing was FULL of dead roaches. It was disgusting. I told the dude nah I'm not modding this shit. Then he told me he'd pay me double and I did it.

Uggggh, wish I had pics of it still.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Whenever I watch LTT and they're cleaning out a device, they seem to avoid vacuuming with electronics there. (A bare case wouldn't matter.) I haven't really looked into it much, but I don't know if there's a suggestion that vacuuming can create static or something? I'll look into it a bit more....

Yeah, the dust traveling along the hose can cause a static charge to build up. I have never seen it though. If you make sure that the hose is discharged before use I think you would probably be fine with vacuuming out 1 thing. They sell ESD safe vacuums if you need something for a professional setting.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The grossest console I ever saw was this Xbox someone gave me to mod. It had an odd smell to it.

When I opened it up, that thing was FULL of dead roaches. It was disgusting. I told the dude nah I'm not modding this shit. Then he told me he'd pay me double and I did it.

Uggggh, wish I had pics of it still.

I recall watching a few SpawnWave videos where he said that finding a roach in a repair console made it an immediate no-go due to wanting to avoid any sort of infestation.

Yeah, the dust traveling along the hose can cause a static charge to build up. I have never seen it though. If you make sure that the hose is discharged before use I think you would probably be fine with vacuuming out 1 thing. They sell ESD safe vacuums if you need something for a professional setting.

Thank you for that; it's good to know! I usually clean cases and such out with vacuums and use my air compressor for things like consoles. Albeit, mine usually aren't that dirty to begin with. I actually have an Xbox 360 that I'm getting ready to prep for sale, but first... I need to take pictures of all the games working. Ugh... that's going to take a while. I also don't trust 360 games nearly as much as PS3 games. I know my copy of N3 Ninety Nine Nights doesn't work as it froze up way back when I was trying to play it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I've been vacuuming electronics nearly everyday since 1988 and never have I ever had an issue with static electricity zapping a component. The only time I ever zapped something was back in 1987 when I bought a whopping 512K of SIPPS memory for an Intel Above board and I touch a SIPP with my bare fingers. Yes, I am aging myself.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been vacuuming electronics nearly everyday since 1988 and never have I ever had an issue with static electricity zapping a component. The only time I ever zapped something was back in 1987 when I bought a whopping 512K of SIPPS memory for an Intel Above board and I touch a SIPP with my bare fingers. Yes, I am aging myself.

I do think that people tend to be overly cautious about ESD. I don't wear the wrist straps when working on computers, but I do avoid obvious things. For example, I don't wear socks if I'm working on a computer in a room with carpet. I also avoid clothes that may be overly... "fluffy"(?). For example, you won't see me wearing a fuzzy robe while working on a computer! If I think I might have some static, I'll just touch something that's grounded first.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have never fried anything with a vacuum, but have seen hair and dust stick to the nozzle many times due to static electricity. I typically go outside to spray stuff out to avoid the cloud of dust going everywhere.