Xbox 360 placement dilemma

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
So, I'm thinking of buying an Xbox 360, but I'm having problems thinking about where to place the TV/monitor for optimal viewing distance from my couch. I'm thinking of getting a Dell 2005FPW to use with the Xbox 360.

One place for the Dell would be on a empty desk/dresser which is directly across from my couch. It's a perfect place, and is only about 4 feet away, and would provide a great viewing distance/angle.

However, here's the problem. Directly across the room (10'-12'), I have a desk with a 30" Apple display. I would use this screen for the Xbox, but currently, there's no way to use the monitor. Basically, right now, it's impossible. I could put the Dell monitor next to this monitor (it's an L-shaped desk), so it would be in the opposite corner of the couch. This is about 7 feet away, which is getting to be pretty lengthy.

If I have the Dell on the desk 7' away, it wouldn't be as good because of the viewing distance, but I could use it as a secondary monitor for my PC. If I put it on the other desk, it would ONLY be used for Xbox (my TV is my Apple display) gameplay, and nothing else.

Sorry if this all comes out confusing, but hopefully someone can give me some advice. Anyone know what I should do?

UPDATE: Yeah, it sucks, but maybe this'll help people get an idea of what I'm saying. Diagram.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SLCentral
So, I'm thinking of buying an Xbox 360, but I'm having problems thinking about where to place the TV/monitor for optimal viewing distance from my couch. I'm thinking of getting a Dell 2005FPW to use with the Xbox 360.

One place for the Dell would be on a empty desk/dresser which is directly across from my couch. It's a perfect place, and is only about 4 feet away, and would provide a great viewing distance/angle.

However, here's the problem. Directly across the room (10'-12'), I have a desk with a 30" Apple display. I would use this screen for the Xbox, but currently, there's no way to use the monitor. Basically, right now, it's impossible. I could put the Dell monitor next to this monitor (it's an L-shaped desk), so it would be in the opposite corner of the couch. This is about 7 feet away, which is getting to be pretty lengthy.

If I have the Dell on the desk 7' away, it wouldn't be as good because of the viewing distance, but I could use it as a secondary monitor for my PC. If I put it on the other desk, it would ONLY be used for Xbox (my TV is my Apple display) gameplay, and nothing else.

Sorry if this all comes out confusing, but hopefully someone can give me some advice. Anyone know what I should do?

UPDATE: Yeah, it sucks, but maybe this'll help people get an idea of what I'm saying. Diagram.

Move the L Shapped desk across from the couch and that other thing where the L shape was? That way you have the 30" and 20" LCD 4' away from you?

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: SLCentral

Move the L Shapped desk across from the couch and that other thing where the L shape was? That way you have the 30" and 20" LCD 4' away from you?

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to do that. What I don't like is that the window is where the L-shaped desk is, and thats the only window in the room, and I like my desk to be next to the window. Oh well.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Gusty987
The diagonal distance across your room is 8 feet?

Is it a closet?

It's probably more like 10, I'm just guessing as I'm not actually in the room right now.