Xbox 360 not recognized by TV. Please, please help me.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I am so frustrated right now.

It's a brand new 250GB Xbox. It works perfectly on other TVs, and on my computer monitor.
The TV that's giving me so much trouble is a Samsung LN R-328W. It supports up to 720p/1080i.

When I plug the Xbox in (exact same thing happens with both HDMI and component video cables), the TV does not recognize that anything is plugged in. It displays the same message I see if nothing is plugged into the inputs. I've tried restarted both the Xbox and the TV. I know the inputs on the TV work, they recognize other sources immediately. I've tried plugging the Xbox back into my computer monitor, changing the resolution (I've tried 720p, 640x480, everything), and then going back to the TV: Nothing.

The controller flashes the same as it does if I don't have any video cables plugged into the Xbox.

The worst part is that it worked fine when I first got it, but I've been using my computer monitor for the last few months, and now the TV won't recognize it at all.

Cliffs:
-New Xbox
-Samsung R-328W
-Neither TV nor Xbox recognizes that something is plugged in.
-TV's inputs work with other sources, and the Xbox works with other displays.

Help! I don't know what else to try, and Googling this has turned up nothing.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Is the Xbox (not sure on the new ones, but the older ones did this) flashing any kind of red lights indicating there is no output detected?

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
There's only 1 HDMI; both component inputs work with my DVD player and cable.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Have you tried the HDMI cable with anything else? It could be bad. Otherwise, I'd try the reset thing then return the console (if you can).

Oct 20, 2005
There's only 1 HDMI; both component inputs work with my DVD player and cable.

And the xbox does not work either component inputs right?

I would agree w/ the others about resetting your xbox. I have both xbox and PS3 and while I never had to do a reset w/ my xbox, whenever I switch TVs with my PS3, i normally have to do a reset for the video to display properly.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I am pretty sure I know what's wrong. This is a tricky situation sort of like when a computer monitor complains that the resolution the graphics card wants to use is unsupported and refuses to display anything. Since it can't display anything, you can't go into windows and lower the resolution.

The problem has to do with the little toggle switch on the 360 AV Dongle. You need to switch it to non-HDTV (I know I know, just try it). But to be sure, first hook it up to a different display and go into your Console Settings (using component). Change the display to non-HD. Then power off and try it on the Samsung.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I know my XBox will not boot when connected with HDMI unless the input is selected. Maybe something odd were the tv won't show the input until it's on, but the Xbox won't turn on until the input is transmitting.

Also, do you have an option on the tv to enable/disable inputs or have them only show if a device is connected? I know my Sony can do both.