XBMC Question

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Anyone know how to set a static IP with XBMC? I don't see it in any of the options though I do see it says its using DHCP, but cannot change it.

I did a google search and looked on xbox-scene.com but did not find any real help. I've had XBMC for a long time now (over a year) but just recently made it my default dashboard and am now realizing that it does not retain the static IP I defined when using EvoX as my default dashboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
From what I can tell I have the older version since I installed it about a year ago and it does not allow for it to be done through the GUI, I have no farking clue how to do it through the I'm guessing xboxmediacenter.xml file.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
yes, the XML file is the one - sorry I said .ini.... You should definitely look into upgrading to the newest version if you have the ability to do so. They've added a lot of things in the past year.

You can edit the XML via FrontPage, Dreamweaver, other free editors, or even NotePad if you wanted to. The lines of config are pretty straightforward - you can set the IP, subnet mask, gateway, etc via the file....

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BillGates
yes, the XML file is the one - sorry I said .ini.... You should definitely look into upgrading to the newest version if you have the ability to do so. They've added a lot of things in the past year.

You can edit the XML via FrontPage, Dreamweaver, other free editors, or even NotePad if you wanted to. The lines of config are pretty straightforward - you can set the IP, subnet mask, gateway, etc via the file....

May have to do that, I wonder how involved it will be to upgrade?

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Hmm, looks like you may be able to do it all via the GUI now (in the new versions). Or it may get your IP info from your dashboard. In any case, definitely check out the new version and poke around. I still use the XML file because I'm comfortable with it and can type paths, addresses, etc faster on a keyboard on my PC than via the XBox controller.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: blazert40
Originally posted by: BillGates

May have to do that, I wonder how involved it will be to upgrade?

Assuming you don't have anything inside the XBMC folder other than the program files, you can delete all the contents and then upload the files for the new version into that same folder. If you have SMB shares or other custom config set up, you may want to back it up or write it down beforehand so that you can re-enter it into the new version.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Well that didn't go very well, I copied over the new files, rebooted Xbox and it just loads up to a blank screen :( son of a crap!