XBitlabs: Intel Cans Rockwell Processors for Desktops - Spy-Shot From Intel’s Roadmap

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Dreaming or not, without a 14nm APU from Intel at sub $150.00, there is no competition for Kaveri APUs in desktops.

Since we've not seen benchmarks from either Haswell or Kaveri, let's not go making any hasty comments eh? ;) For all we know, the R-series BGA desktop Haswell might do pretty well against Kaveri.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Since we've not seen benchmarks from either Haswell or Kaveri, let's not go making any hasty comments eh? ;) For all we know, the R-series BGA desktop Haswell might do pretty well against Kaveri.

Well, even the $300+ Core i7 Haswell GT2 is slower(graphics) than current $130.00 Trinity, not to mention Richland. Do you honestly believe that Core i3 Haswell GT2 can take on Kaveri ?? not a chance in hell. :p

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I don't think this is surprising...

Intel is focusing more on where the money is, mobile. Even now many people debate whether Ivy Bridge is worth it over Sandy Bridge. Frankly, this doesn't bother me at all. Much bigger impact on mobo and other component makers...

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Well, even the $300+ Core i7 Haswell GT2 is slower(graphics) than current $130.00 Trinity, not to mention Richland. Do you honestly believe that Core i3 Haswell GT2 can take on Kaveri ?? not a chance in hell. :p

No, i3 GT2 Haswell definitely can't! But supposedly the highest "R series" chip is a quad core i7 with GT3e:

Intel-Haswell.png

Obviously, price is the big unanswered question there...

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
No, i3 GT2 Haswell definitely can't! But supposedly the highest "R series" chip is a quad core i7 with GT3e:

Intel-Haswell.png

So you think we should compare a low performing CPU to a better performing CPU...due to it's IGP?

LOL

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Dreaming or not, without a 14nm APU from Intel at sub $150.00, there is no competition for Kaveri APUs in desktops.

According to you today there's no competition for Trinity APU's in desktops or laptops from Intel .

How are those AMD sales going again? They were down 38% correct? The CPU buyers say you are wrong.

Also, what in the world do buyers care about the name given to a manufacturing process??

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think the issue is replacing cpus so much as freely mixing and matching motherboards and cpus.

Now will your favorite motherboard come in 20 different varieties for every flavor of cpu? I don't think so . . .

And this doesn't just impact hobbyists, it also impacts local PC shops that still build systems.

I don't see how it will be any different than buying a laptop. Not saying it will be better, or even good, but surely no worse?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
So you think we should compare a low performing CPU to a better performing CPU...due to it's IGP?

LOL

We don't know the performance of either chip for certain yet, which is the point I was making in the first place... :rolleyes:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Wanna bet Intel has better IPC/performance on the CPU part?

IPC and performance are two very different things- for a start you need to think about clock speed, and then there's number of cores. But no, I wouldn't want to bet- either way. We just don't know enough yet. Get back to me when there's benchmarks ;)

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
IPC and performance are two very different things- for a start you need to think about clock speed, and then there's number of cores. But no, I wouldn't want to bet- either way. We just don't know enough yet. Get back to me when there's benchmarks ;)

I'll go out on a limp then.
Intel will have both better IPC..and performance on the CPU side.
And the bad newz for AMD:

When I buy a CPU...I look at the CPU performance, not it's IGP.
And if I want to game...I get a GPU...IGP's are a joke, but fine for Excell I guess....but then again...the CPU matters more in Excell than the IGP...so all those none gamers...don't really care about IGP performance either.

Hence why AMD's CPU sales are dropping like a rock...real world vs "AMD fantasy fusion PR world".

And a shame you are not willing to bet...could use some easy cash :colbert:

John P. Myers

Apr 24, 2013
Wut!? :confused:

Are you kidding me? Does Xbitlabs really not know that Rockwell doesn't exist? (never did, it was "yet another" Charlie fabrication)

Broadwell is the successor to Haswell...one would hope something that doesn't exist (and never did) would not find its way onto Intel's roadmaps :rolleyes:
*sigh*

2 issues with this: 1) Rockwell did in fact used to exist. Technically it still does. It's just now known as Broadwell. Intel renamed it awhile back (like 2 years ago). It is not a "Charlie fabrication".

2) How the hell does Xbit not know the name was changed? It has been awhile afterall. Whoever their writer is needs to get with the times :p

Fun fact: Sandy Bridge was originally named Gesher.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
According to you today there's no competition for Trinity APU's in desktops or laptops from Intel .

How are those AMD sales going again? They were down 38% correct? The CPU buyers say you are wrong.

Also, what in the world do buyers care about the name given to a manufacturing process??

Intel socket 2011 has no competition from AMD and yet it counts for only one(1) percent of Intel CPU sales, does that make me wrong as well ??

Having no competition in a given segment and CPU sales in general is two different things.;)

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

Intel-Haswell.png

Bigger die size than reqular Quad core hasewell due to the larger iGPU, higher priced and slower in CPU performance than GT2 models. Again not in the same price segment as Kaveri. Unless AMD will sell Kaveri at $200.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Intel socket 2011 has no competition from AMD and yet it counts for only one(1) percent of Intel CPU sales, does that make me wrong as well ??

Having no competition in a given segment and CPU sales in general is two different things.;)

Profit margins....google.
Intel makes a LOT more on a 2011 socket CPU than AMD will ever make8also much better performance for intel too)...hence you "compariosn" is very much flawed.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Bigger die size than reqular Quad core hasewell due to the larger iGPU, higher priced and slower in CPU performance than GT2 models. Again not in the same price segment as Kaveri. Unless AMD will sell Kaveri at $200.

We don't know about the pricing for those parts, so don't be so haste to judge. For what its worth, the pricing may be factored in by having lower clocked CPU cores already. Also, note that the TDP is lower than non-BGA desktop parts, so even clock speeds can't be directly compared.

The better comparison is for mobile: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/..._i7-4850HQ_and_i7-4950HQ_CPUs_in_Q3_2013.html

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
We don't know about the pricing for those parts, so don't be so haste to judge. For what its worth, the pricing may be factored in by having lower clocked CPU cores already. Also, note that the TDP is lower than non-BGA desktop parts, so even clock speeds can't be directly compared.

The better comparison is for mobile: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/..._i7-4850HQ_and_i7-4950HQ_CPUs_in_Q3_2013.html

If Intel will sell them lower than GT2 parts it will lower their margins, dont think so.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
If Intel will sell them lower than GT2 parts it will lower their margins, dont think so.

Not at all: http://wccftech.com/intel-haswell-desktop-cpu-prices-leaked-flagship-core-i74770k-cost-327/

Look at the 4770S and 4570S. They cost $280 and $189 respectively. The clocks are similar to 4770R and 4670R. The 4770R and 4670R would be just sold at $340 and $240 price ranges.

They are look like direct replacement to those parts, with similar clocks and identical TDP. The S parts are used in some AIO systems. Rather than using a discrete part with an S CPU, you'd use the R part with the integrated HD 5200 graphics. The OEMs decide whether the extra cost is worth it.

Mobile Haswell H series: So it looks like the H series mobile Haswell with HD Graphics 5200 is a replacement to 3615QM, 3612QM, and 3610QM.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Profit margins....google.
Intel makes a LOT more on a 2011 socket CPU than AMD will ever make8also much better performance for intel too)...hence you "compariosn" is very much flawed.

Socket 2011 is a more profitable niche, for sure. Its still a niche though. Aten-Ra was arguing that Kaveri will be best in the niche for budget gaming, although since we don't know benchmarks or pricing for either of them we don't know that.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Socket 2011 is a more profitable niche, for sure. Its still a niche though. Aten-Ra was arguing that Kaveri will be best in the niche for budget gaming, although since we don't know benchmarks or pricing for either of them we don't know that.

"Kaveri...you my only hope"...IDC's star wars quote comes to mind...alongside the 38% decline in AMD CPU sales...going the road of Cyrix, Via and DEC...pushed into a low margin niche.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I'll go out on a limp then.
Intel will have both better IPC..and performance on the CPU side.
And the bad newz for AMD:

When I buy a CPU...I look at the CPU performance, not it's IGP.
And if I want to game...I get a GPU...IGP's are a joke, but fine for Excell I guess....but then again...the CPU matters more in Excell than the IGP...so all those none gamers...don't really care about IGP performance either.

Hence why AMD's CPU sales are dropping like a rock...real world vs "AMD fantasy fusion PR world".

And a shame you are not willing to bet...could use some easy cash :colbert:

The IGP in Trinity is already better than the lowest level of discrete GPUs, such as the GT630, and Kaveri should (hopefully) move up into higher than that. Plenty of people have tight budgets but still want to play games on their PC. For the same money right now you can either get a Pentium and a GT630, or a Trinity APU with better performance all round. It's all about squeezing the best gaming performance out of a tight budget. It's a niche, and it doesn't apply to most people on this forum, but it exists.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The IGP in Trinity is already better than the lowest level of discrete GPUs, such as the GT630, and Kaveri should (hopefully) move up into higher than that. Plenty of people have tight budgets but still want to play games on their PC. For the same money right now you can either get a Pentium and a GT630, or a Trinity APU with better performance all round. It's all about squeezing the best gaming performance out of a tight budget. It's a niche, and it doesn't apply to most people on this forum, but it exists.

Speaking about what IGP is "better" is like watching migdet MMA...and it's not just a niche market...it's a LOW margin niche ^^

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Speaking about what IGP is "better" is like watching migdet MMA...and it's not just a niche market...it's a LOW margin niche ^^

lol, midget MMA, that actually sounds like it would be pretty popular.

And yeah, it's a low margin niche- you may not have heard, but AMD is struggling a little right now ;) They'll take any niche they can get *shrug*

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
IGPs are simply valueadded. So as such it gives nothing in return. So for AMD it is a problem due tocanibalizing their own GPU divisions lowend. nVidia suffers as well. the only real winner, or rather the least loser in the IGP game is Intel and VIA.