Xabre looks good!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Looks like SiS has really taken the market by storm. Their products are becoming better and better. And I think the Xabre will cost way less than 100, b/c the chip is very cheap (made by SiS). It's got some impressive performance for its price range.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: spankyOO7
aw come on... no one wants to give sis a pat on the back for taking on big bad nvidia and ati? :eek:

I'll give them a pat on the back for the strides they've made in graphics,I/O, and system interface microchip production in the last few years. hey've come a long was since the late 90's and for the most part done so while maintaining reasonably high reputability and without resorting to... 'dubious' marketing practices.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: Booster
Looks like SiS has really taken the market by storm. Their products are becoming better and better. And I think the Xabre will cost way less than 100, b/c the chip is very cheap (made by SiS). It's got some impressive performance for its price range.

Impressive performance + rubbish image quality = SIS Xabre
Rubbish performance + rubbish image quality = SIS 315

Are SIS unable to deliver good image quality with any of their GPU's?

T1mb0

Aug 30, 2001
the 'texture quality' thing some people have mentioned is actually a bit of a cheat by SIS. They a thing called 'texturbo' which is by default set to 3 that makes all textures poor quality in return for a performance gain. you can turn it off by hacking the registry and textures look just as good as in all other cards. i can only presume its an nvidia like job trying to improve their review scores. i have only seen one review that caught on to this fact and i have reproduced the facts myself coz i bought a xabre 400, and yes it is a very solid video card. id much rather have one than a gf4 mx, and price wise it only competes with the gf4 mx and radeon 9000. i havent tried a rad 9000 so i cant compare.

yes the drivers do suck for options. but actually the card IS fully dx 8.1 compliant

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: T1mb0
the 'texture quality' thing some people have mentioned is actually a bit of a cheat by SIS. They a thing called 'texturbo' which is by default set to 3 that makes all textures poor quality in return for a performance gain. you can turn it off by hacking the registry and textures look just as good as in all other cards. i can only presume its an nvidia like job trying to improve their review scores. i have only seen one review that caught on to this fact and i have reproduced the facts myself coz i bought a xabre 400, and yes it is a very solid video card. id much rather have one than a gf4 mx, and price wise it only competes with the gf4 mx and radeon 9000. i havent tried a rad 9000 so i cant compare.

yes the drivers do suck for options. but actually the card IS fully dx 8.1 compliant

It's not "fully dx8.1 compliant" because it doesn't have hardware vertex shader only hardware pixel shader. I'd pick a gf4mx460 or a radeon 9000 over the Xabre anyday.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
What a joke!
For $106, you can get the Sapphire Radeon 8500LE 128MB from newegg.
For $154, you can get the Albatron GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB from newegg.
Powercolor Xabre400 is $104 shipped from Axion (the lowest at pricewatch).

T1mb0

Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
Originally posted by: T1mb0

It's not "fully dx8.1 compliant" because it doesn't have hardware vertex shader only hardware pixel shader. I'd pick a gf4mx460 or a radeon 9000 over the Xabre anyday.

hardware vertex shader is not required by dx8.1 software is perfectly within spec.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
wow, my thread is back from the dead :p
things look to get hot in the video sector.