X99 Motherboard which one should i buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

2blzd

May 16, 2016
Is there a list of all the new x99 boards release for BD-W refresh?

I've seen Asus's lineup but cant seem to find a comprehensive list of all the brands new offerings

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Hey Jacky, I'm really sorry to hear about your Asus Deluxe experiences. I'm stuck at this part as well as on whether or not to get the 6950X and I'm trying to find the clear, premium winner of the Broadwell-E motherboard refresh. It isn't easy. I'm guessing it'll be the Asus ROG refresh but...anyone have a top recommendation?

Mar 10, 2006
Hey Jacky, I'm really sorry to hear about your Asus Deluxe experiences. I'm stuck at this part as well as on whether or not to get the 6950X and I'm trying to find the clear, premium winner of the Broadwell-E motherboard refresh. It isn't easy. I'm guessing it'll be the Asus ROG refresh but...anyone have a top recommendation?

X99-A II, that's what I bought. No frills, but it seems to be working great for people.

2blzd

May 16, 2016
X99-A II, that's what I bought. No frills, but it seems to be working great for people.

I'm looking at the A II as well...Asus announced a x99-E, which is right below the A-II...Just no fancy lighting and no U2 port.

I can't find it anywhere...I'm wondering if its only for certain countries because Ive found links to all the other Asus boards that just got announced...but suspiciously no X99-E anywhere!

Mar 10, 2006
I'm looking at the A II as well...Asus announced a x99-E, which is right below the A-II...Just no fancy lighting and no U2 port.

I can't find it anywhere...I'm wondering if its only for certain countries because Ive found links to all the other Asus boards that just got announced...but suspiciously no X99-E anywhere!

Who knows? But yes, the fancy lighting is a silly gimmick but that's what the mobo makers are selling these days :/

2blzd

May 16, 2016
I wonder how these trends start...Because all the manufacturers are doing the crazy lighting on all their motherboards and videocards now..

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder how these trends start...Because all the manufacturers are doing the crazy lighting on all their motherboards and videocards now..

Even my very entry-level Asus H110M-A has "LED Audio trace path lighting". In the BIOS, it's set to "Breathe" mode. It's kind of funky, but totally unnecessary. I would hate to build a "business desktop" with that board. Then again, maybe you can turn it off in BIOS. It hasn't bothered me enough to investigate.

2blzd

May 16, 2016
Even my very entry-level Asus H110M-A has "LED Audio trace path lighting". In the BIOS, it's set to "Breathe" mode. It's kind of funky, but totally unnecessary. I would hate to build a "business desktop" with that board. Then again, maybe you can turn it off in BIOS. It hasn't bothered me enough to investigate.

I'm betting it has to do with sales of certain boards that happened to have had it this past generation and they mistook that as demand.

If I can't find the Asus x99-E, I'm going to get the Asus x99-A II like Arachno.

Mar 10, 2006
I'm betting it has to do with sales of certain boards that happened to have had it this past generation and they mistook that as demand.

If I can't find the Asus x99-E, I'm going to get the Asus x99-A II like Arachno.

Good choice :thumbsup:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
But this is the thing. Feature wise, the new ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10 seems to be way up there, but I was hoping for an EATX motherboard with PLX chips like the Asus X99-e WS 3.1.... I hate that I can't get everything I want in this case.

Or, if this turns out to be true:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52356/asus-x99-10g-ws-motherboard-goes-speed/index.html

You won't see PLX chips on anything at all price competitive because the company that made and holds the patents on them was bought up and the new company more than doubled the price of the chips in order to recover the costs of the purchase. It is why almost all the boards mysteriously stopped using them. Basically if you want/need more PCI-e lanes, you need to get the 40lane CPUs, cause you won't get them from a PLX chip.

Personally to me, this ruled out all 28 lane CPUs a while ago.

Last edited:

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
You won't see PLX chips on anything at all price competitive because the company that made and holds the patents on them was bought up and the new company more than doubled the price of the chips in order to recover the costs of the purchase. It is why almost all the boards mysteriously stopped using them. Basically if you want/need more PCI-e lanes, you need to get the 40lane CPUs, cause you won't get them from a PLX chip.

Personally to me, this ruled out all 28 lane CPUs a while ago.

Yeah that's why I actually prefer the entry level X79 processors like the Core i7 3820 / 4820 and Xeon E5-1620 V1 / V2 since they actually supported 40 PCI-E lanes even though they only had 4 cores. Although the Core i7 3820 didn't support PCI-E 3.0 while the Xeon did.

Intel gimped the Core i7 5820 to 28 PCI-E lanes and then raised the prices since it was a hex core.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
AFAIK the difference between x8 tri sli or cf and x16 is less than 5%, so not that big a problem.

Trevor3000

Jan 15, 2009
I need max amount of RAM, but wouldn't want to go Xeon unless necessary. So I'm asking if anybody has experience on populating all memory slots of a board for a total of 128 GB. Preferably on an Asus refresh board, but any experience really is appreciated. It's just that I've read a lot about incompatibility, and it tends to get worse with more slots populated.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Good choice :thumbsup:

I got this board a few days ago , very nice and frilless (no add-in cards, gpu, colours flashing, wifi or bluetooth).

ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1

• Ultra-fast 10Gb/s USB 3.1 built in to the board
  • Patent Pending OC Socket – Drive CPU and DDR4 performance beyond all expectations!
  • 5-Way Optimization by Dual Intelligent Processors 5 – One click overclock and cooling,
  • 32Gb/s ultrafast M.2 x4
  • Crystal Sound 2 - Flawless audio that makes you part of the game!
  • Total control anytime, anywhere with Remote GO!

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/X99AUSB_31/

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I need max amount of RAM, but wouldn't want to go Xeon unless necessary. So I'm asking if anybody has experience on populating all memory slots of a board for a total of 128 GB. Preferably on an Asus refresh board, but any experience really is appreciated. It's just that I've read a lot about incompatibility, and it tends to get worse with more slots populated.

A lot depends on what processor you're trying to run. Haswell-e series will support up to 64GB, Broadwell-e is supposed to support up to 128GB.
It really is probably best to go Xeon with RDIMM if you're trying to run a ton of memory with all 8 slots populated.

Drazick

May 27, 2009
What would be the recommendation for 6800K and no need for SLI (It will run Single GPU).

I want the least "Extras".
Namely no need for WiFi, Bluetooh, Extreme SLI.

Just Intel LAN, good Audio, M2 support and good stability (Won't overclock beyond 4 GHZ).

Thank You.

Reactions: Sweepr

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
What would be the recommendation for 6800K and no need for SLI (It will run Single GPU).

Just Intel LAN, good Audio, M2 support and good stability (Won't overclock beyond 4 GHZ).

Thank You.

check out the Asrock x99 Taichi. It has wifi built in but it's a thrown in feature, and the board has a very compelling price. Dual intel LAN, dual m.2, no stupid LED's, quality pwr caps / components

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001

Thank You.

+1 vote for X99-A II. Great board.

I got 6800K, 64GB RAM and use U.2 for Intel 750 800GB. I have samsung M.2 in pci-e slot. All are a pleasure to deal with. The mobo is very good.

Things have changed in past years. I've not built a box for a while, but man this BIOS/EUFI update now is just a click away. Used to be very different with floppy flashes and such.

Reactions: 2blzd

Drazick

May 27, 2009
@bigi,
How did you install the memory given only 4 DIMM's to take advantage of the 4 Channels?

What would be better 8 * 4 for 4 * 8 (Namely eight modules of 4 GB or four of 8 GB)?

Thank You.

Reactions: Sweepr

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
@bigi,
How did you install the memory given only 4 DIMM's to take advantage of the 4 Channels?

What would be better 8 * 4 for 4 * 8 (Namely eight modules of 4 GB or four of 8 GB)?

Thank You.

Went by what manual says. Now, it is populated in 4 slots, 16GB per slot.