X99 Motherboard which one should i buy?

iGigaflop

Apr 20, 2016
Im building an x99 gaming rig and ive got everything but a mb, I was sure i was gonna get a asus x99 pro but been reading mixed reviews on it, other boards ive considered was asrock extreme 6 and msi extreme gaming. Ive owned 1 gigabyte board and 2 msi boards and never had a problem out of them. And the main reason i wanted asus is its white and matches my cm storm stryker case and i like asus's bios look and options. If anyone has any of these board and running a 5820k overclocked with 3000MHz ddr4 or higher i would like to know your thoughts thanks. And making a choice between the 6700k and 5820k was hard especially since the new e series is just around the corner but i couldn't wait. And i got my 5820k for $360 not a bad deal. How faster an overclock are you guys able to run on 3000mhz ram, i was hoping for at the least 4-4.2. Im game for any brand of mb i just want to be able to get a good overclock, but i know that depends more on the silicon lottery.

billbillw

Jul 17, 2003
I'm happy so far with the Gigabyte X99-SLI. It has been on/off sale at Fry's (sometimes available for shipping too) a few times over the last couple months. It has most of the features that people want. Yes, it has a bit slower M.2 connection compared to some, and the BIOS lacks some features, but for $110, I'm not going to complain. I caught my 5820k at Microcenter for $299 last month. It was a very short drop in price, normally $319. Of course, you have to be close to their B&M stores to get the CPU deals.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
TBH every brand will ship out a bad board now and then. It's really brand preference for the most part. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte - you will find lovers and haters. Buy a board with a good warranty and take user reviews with a grain of salt, especially if there aren't many reviews.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
I second the Gigabyte X99-SLI / UD series - they have the International Rectifier PowIRStage Digital VRM which can result in a power saving of up to 20-30W when the CPU is at full load.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Im building an x99 gaming rig and ive got everything but a mb, I was sure i was gonna get a asus x99 pro but been reading mixed reviews on it, other boards ive considered was asrock extreme 6 and msi extreme gaming. Ive owned 1 gigabyte board and 2 msi boards and never had a problem out of them. And the main reason i wanted asus is its white and matches my cm storm stryker case and i like asus's bios look and options. If anyone has any of these board and running a 5820k overclocked with 3000MHz ddr4 or higher i would like to know your thoughts thanks. And making a choice between the 6700k and 5820k was hard especially since the new e series is just around the corner but i couldn't wait. And i got my 5820k for $360 not a bad deal. How faster an overclock are you guys able to run on 3000mhz ram, i was hoping for at the least 4-4.2. Im game for any brand of mb i just want to be able to get a good overclock, but i know that depends more on the silicon lottery.

I have an Asus X99-A 3.1 mobo and it has been great so far. Got my 5930K overclocked to 4.4ghz on only 1.21v..

The Asus OC socket is really good for overclocking uncore, much better than other boards that lack the socket. It's also supposed to help with RAM overclocking..

As for RAM, it depends on your individual CPU sometimes because the memory controller is on the CPU. I'm running 32GB, and I bought DDR4 3200 speed ram which I run at 16-17-17-36 CR1. Just a warning though, if you overclock your uncore too high, it will make running high frequency memory really tough..

To run at DDR4 3200, I had to drop my uncore from 4ghz down to 3.8ghz from 4ghz.. But with the uncore at 3.5ghz, I can run the RAM at 3200 and more aggressive timings, ie 16-16-16-32 CR1.

Last edited:

Killer_Croc

Jan 4, 2016
Gigabyte and ASUS have announced refresh motherboards in preparation for Broadwell-E. If you are willing to wait until they are available and in-stock then perhaps you should consider those. Otherwise ASUS,MSI, and Gigabyte seem to be the most popular depending on your budget.

Sushisamurai

Jan 21, 2015
I'm using Asus X99-Deluxe, for almost a year now. OC 4.2GHz i7-5930K 6 cores @1.2V, 2400MHz C15 (so expensive when DDR4 first came out).

Absolutely no problems, love the color scheme, populated with 4 drives, 2 external bays. Peripherals use almost all my back USB ports, optical audio connection is clean. Can flash/upgrade bios without USB flash drive. Love the Asus software suite. Though, out of the two comps I have, all my Mb's have been asus - they've proved reliable to me.

Though i have recently run into a problem, but haven't had time to diagnose whether it's a MB problem or Windows (had a recent update at the same time). I just moved back to my 'rents house, and my comp keeps turning on by itself at random times. Never did that before. Wake on LAN disabled on all network connections. Ugh.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
At this moment wait for the X99 refreshes that will launch along Broadwell-E.

Sushisamurai

Jan 21, 2015
The deluxe 2 is already released. It's on Asus's US website. Not sure if it's on the shelves yet. I was ganna read the changes to see if there's anything significantly different

lukart

Oct 27, 2014
Should be available after computex show, Asrock and EVGA also announced theirs just recently.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I can verify we have the x99 Deluxe II, A-II, and strix gaming on our shelves at the store I work at.

Voxata

Jun 26, 2012
I'd suggest getting the MSI X99, the full black one. Key is finding one that has full m.2 support for x4 pcie.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I'd suggest getting the MSI X99, the full black one. Key is finding one that has full m.2 support for x4 pcie.

Pretty much anything but Gigabyte boards, and in the end you could always invest in a PCIe adapter.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I can verify we have the x99 Deluxe II, A-II, and strix gaming on our shelves at the store I work at.

Price wise it may not be the best choice, but Asus x99 Deluxe II is the one I really like.. :thumbsup:

l1amrob

Nov 8, 2014
I would wait to see what ASrock is coming up wit, they are generally the best when it comes to overclock if that matters to you.
And even if you don't their boards are pretty stable, considering they are build to sustain heavy overclocking :D

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Price wise it may not be the best choice, but Asus x99 Deluxe II is the one I really like.. :thumbsup:

I'd agree. While I was really hoping for an update to the Asus X99-e WS 3.1, I do not think that one is coming. This may be indeed the motherboard I'll get for the 6950X.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I had hoped to be upgrading by at least BW-E, but at this point it may be SKL-E before I have to dosh for a complete system overhaul. I'd probably go with Asus (which I've pretty much stuck with since the A7N8X), though Asrock has impressed me at least in terms of features and overclocking.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've noticed that of all of the different brands that I've been using since I started building my own pc's back in the mid 90's that Asus has been the best at providing updates during the life of the product which is why I run them in my system.

Circuit1

Banned
May 27, 2016
I feel like all of the main brand boards are pretty solid, even ASrock has stepped their game up. Some are definitely better than others though. I just go for like the UD3-5 equivalents.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Don't buy Asus X99 deluxe. I've had three fail and two took the CPU with them whereas the Asrock X99 Fatality Killer 3.1 has been superb and has never been a problem. Asus X99 has been frying CPUs check Newegg forums etc. Also the Asrock board runs my memory at XMP (3000mhz) with a 4.5ghz OC, Asus X99 never got past 2400MHz with 4.4ghz or 4.5ghz so couldn't OC and run XMP. Maybe the version 2 is better but thrice bitten twice shy.
When I returned the last ASUS x99-S after it killed my 5960x they refused RMA claiming bent pins. I'll never buy another Asus product!If a company doesn't honour their warranty it doesn't matter how good it is on paper and Asus have a record of not doing so. I've owned Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI, and only ever once had one manufacturers board fail-Asus and their's did three times!

Last edited: