Question x99 cheap e5 xeon overclocks.. anyone 1st hand experience?

potato masher

May 15, 2019
This seems to be the fad of the week far as youtube cheap builds. Soooo, whos done it? Please share with the class.. which chip, how to clock it, what mobo, when you did it, where at, who with?

potato masher

May 15, 2019
Got it thanks, did not see that 2017 thread. I typed "x99" in and nothing came up. If a good mobo is cheap enough I may do one in an old oem case. Just for the kicks. Don't seriously need to upgrade my old junkers yet.

I didn't think anything could possibly be more a bargain than the 2nd gen ryzen5's but this might be, if market prices drop low enough... If anybody has had good experiences with a specific motherboard model please post up which. All the affordable ones seem to be sketch branded boards.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Got it thanks, did not see that 2017 thread. I typed "x99" in and nothing came up. If a good mobo is cheap enough I may do one in an old oem case. Just for the kicks. Don't seriously need to upgrade my old junkers yet.

I didn't think anything could possibly be more a bargain than the 2nd gen ryzen5's but this might be, if market prices drop low enough... If anybody has had good experiences with a specific motherboard model please post up which. All the affordable ones seem to be sketch branded boards.
I still have 2 left, not powered on. I have tried to sell them to no avail. Both are E5-2683v3 14 core chips that run at 2.5 ghz all-core. I tried to update the bios per that thread, and bricked the motherboard. I switched back to the alternate bios and was able to boot, but I have not tried it since.

Have fun if you want. I have the ASRock x99's. I had one ASUS, but one of the memory channels was dead, so I have not gotten any more of those.

Reactions: potato masher

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I've had some luck overclocking the X79 E5-16XX Xeons in Sandy and Ivy variants, in obstensibly 'locked' platforms such as Lenovo S30 and HP Z420 workstations.

But not every one of them seems to cooperate. My son's E5-1650 v2 runs happily at 4.4Ghz in his S30, but a newer one I ordered doesn't want to do it :/

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I only have experience with my 5930k on X99, as well as feedback from a friend who has a 5820k. Both seem pretty good overclockers, able to do 4.4 GHz +